TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Had a nice discussion with everyone about 6 months ago regarding how to get up steep, rough hills on a TW. Seems like the best answer was just kind of ride fast and hope for the best. I have a small ATV winch and was thinking about trying to mount it somewhere on the bike and wire to the battery. The idea would be that if I get stuck going up a steep, long hill I can just tie up to a tree and winch the bike out.

Any thoughts? Anyone know if the electrical system on the TW will handle a small ATV winch? Anyone tried this? Should I consult a mental health professional?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi all,

Had a nice discussion with everyone about 6 months ago regarding how to get up steep, rough hills on a TW. Seems like the best answer was just kind of ride fast and hope for the best. I have a small ATV winch and was thinking about trying to mount it somewhere on the bike and wire to the battery. The idea would be that if I get stuck going up a steep, long hill I can just tie up to a tree and winch the bike out.

Any thoughts? Anyone know if the electrical system on the TW will handle a small ATV winch? Anyone tried this? Should I consult a mental health professional?

Thanks,

Steve

I don't think the electrical system would be up to it.

·
Registered
908 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't know about you, but I find it is much easier going up steep hills than down. Especially rough ones which we have plenty of here in AZ. If I can't ride up the hill, I sure don't think I want to ride down it.<G>

·
Registered
13,235 Posts
A caption for the winch on the bikes above (previous posts) say it's a BMW F800GS.

I think mrgizmow started a thread on self-recovery methods in the old forum format. I'd look it up, but going back to bed now.

Here's another

·
Registered
908 Posts
I wouldn't mind having one of those bikes in my garage... but it would be for longer trips, and I doubt I'd be doing real challenging trails, trying to lug that heavy thing around.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Imagine what learning to ride that thing would do!

Winch on a motorcycle? Aluminum panniers where one might need a winch on a motorcycle? Not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is awesome. There are a few spots in Idaho where I could use a setup like that to get the bike both up and down. Not really bike trails but you are allowed to ride on them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all

a rope and a couple of guys could pull a TW out of anywhere.

don't start showing me pictures of the Grand Canyon and various other mud holes that are impassable on a TW. I know there are situations when an electric gizmo is the only man for the job. riding a bike is fraught enough without 12v sockets and anything that doesn't have any real use. What if your bike fell into a body of water, a lake or a river? you need a rope, a grappling hook and a couple of guys who are not going home until they caught a TW. your hook can grab onto your Jimbo Shield or your Tool Time racks but the idea is to retrieve your TW. my point: it would take a team of engineers and electricians to build such a tool for the TW, it would take just two of them to pull a bike out of anywhere.

:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
A 1/4 inch paracord and some harbor freight 1/4 inch double and triple pullys make a block n tackle that can lift the TW vertical with 1 man EZ . They take up hardly any space and the paracord is handy in many ways. Pulled mine out of mud once and drug it up a almost vertical riverbank.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Would a come-along be more practical for something relatively lightweight like a TW? No power required and probably easily carried on the bike. For that matter, a block with pulley and a good length of rope would probably work in many situations, no?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Here is a very compact and strong 'block & tackle' (game) I believe it is rated at 600+ lbs and is in my pac as I post. As well, if you have a desire to climb something that the rear tire will not stick-to, take a look at the flat brake drum extension on the rear right. I am sure that could be modded to spool-up some heavy-duty nylon strap. I have seen pictures of model Tee's with spools bolted to wheels (spoke) making their way up very steep/rough 'roads'. Where there's a will, there is (indeed) a way............... Gerry

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
A vehicle in mud can have 4 times the drag as the force required for lifting the same vehicle.

I think a rope and pulley system designed for field dressing deer would be adequate. The problem is using any kind of winch or pulley is a 2-man job, minimum. One man operates the device, one man holds up the bike. Even then it won't be easy. I expect anyone who tries will not be so interested in doing it a 2nd time.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Here is a very compact and strong 'block & tackle' (game) I believe it is rated at 600+ lbs and is in my pac as I post. As well, if you have a desire to climb something that the rear tire will not stick-to, take a look at the flat brake drum extension on the rear right. I am sure that could be modded to spool-up some heavy-duty nylon strap. I have seen pictures of model Tee's with spools bolted to wheels (spoke) making their way up very steep/rough 'roads'. Where there's a will, there is (indeed) a way............... Gerry

That's pretty cool. It would be a great thing to have if you lost your bike over an embankment, ravine, or something. Would probably require two people to operate but might get you out of a pickle!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The benefit of a small winch is that it would be much easier for one person. With a comealong or pulley system, your hands are going to be tied up. With something like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLC-2953AT/

Or even smaller, you can hook the winch up to a tree, go back and hold the bike up by hand, then hit the button on the remote to activate the winch. You can activate the winch remote while your hands are on the handlebars of the bike, but you can't operate a comealong or pulley while your hands on the handlebars.

Of course this whole conversation already presumes you are foolish enough to head off into the woods alone on your TW to someplace where you think you might need a winch. But hey, maybe I'm not the only guy

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
That winch is cool but I worry about it's amp draw. How much pull will you get drawing 10 or more amps? I guess if you kept the rpms up round 5k with the headlight off it would buy you a little time.

Current Draw: @ 150 lbs. Load: 4 to 6 amps; @ 2,000 lbs. Load: 20 amps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts