TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back a while ago from scouting out a place to camp and test some new gear over the next couple three days. It's brutal out there. Had to wear my arctic gear. The wind is cranking, they say the wind chill is 38 below right now. Anyway if all goes well I'll be fully set up tommorow in my arctic oven tent down by the trout stream out yonder..

Had to wear the the real deal tonight... Down parka, down liner, arctic mittens.. brrrr.. I don't ever remember it being this cold here, it has been, just don't seem to remember it biting like it was. I thought my nose would freeze. I must be getting old.

IMG_1571.JPG

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you on that "keep the down dry". I always layer clothes and pay attention and only wear merino wool under it, no cotton. Just in case I bring polar fleece and a spare in my Ahkio sled. Wool base layers makes a huge difference in keeping down dry. I think it keeps the perspiration freely moving through your clothes where cotton holds water and wets out the down. Just a theory from experience but who knows. Yes that's why I'm doing this.. for the memories :)

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Minus 13 here right now and happy to be warm sitting by the coal stove. I do a lot of ice fishing in some very cold weather and have the gear that works for me. I found the thermal long john's by under armor work the best of any that I ever had. They come in grades from Base 1.0 through Base 4.0 and the 4.0 is what I wear on the ice and while hunting and sitting in a tree stand. I also have some great down coats but honestly don't wear them often because I get too warm if I do any activity. Most times when hunting or fishing in very cold I go with light clothes while I am working and walking and dragging gear out. This keeps me from overheating and getting wet inside. Once I settle down to sit I bundle up and as long as I am dry in the first layer I am fine for the day. Cotton is a killer once it gets moist so for my needs I always start the first layer with polypropylene socks against the skin as they tend to wick moisture away to the second layer of moriano wool. My feet are the hardest part to keep warm and I have some of the best and most bulky boots money can buy but they still get cold no matter what I try. Last year I found the best solution for cold feet. Light weight boots with at least 1,000 grams of thinsulate with the poly socks and wool ones for walking. Once I get seated I have a pair of over the boot booties that are fat and bulky but as long as my feet did not sweat during the walk these booties work great.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
"Winter Camping - Solo (it's 7 degrees here)"

40's and 50's over the weekend. 3 degrees here in NYC right now.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Minus 13 here right now and happy to be warm sitting by the coal stove. I do a lot of ice fishing in some very cold weather and have the gear that works for me. I found the thermal long john's by under armor work the best of any that I ever had. They come in grades from Base 1.0 through Base 4.0 and the 4.0 is what I wear on the ice and while hunting and sitting in a tree stand. I also have some great down coats but honestly don't wear them often because I get too warm if I do any activity. Most times when hunting or fishing in very cold I go with light clothes while I am working and walking and dragging gear out. This keeps me from overheating and getting wet inside. Once I settle down to sit I bundle up and as long as I am dry in the first layer I am fine for the day. Cotton is a killer once it gets moist so for my needs I always start the first layer with polypropylene socks against the skin as they tend to wick moisture away to the second layer of moriano wool. My feet are the hardest part to keep warm and I have some of the best and most bulky boots money can buy but they still get cold no matter what I try. Last year I found the best solution for cold feet. Light weight boots with at least 1,000 grams of thinsulate with the poly socks and wool ones for walking. Once I get seated I have a pair of over the boot booties that are fat and bulky but as long as my feet did not sweat during the walk these booties work great.

GaryL
Couldn’t agree more with Under Armor. My girlfriend bought me level 4.0 to encourage me to move back to WI from FL. One of many reasons why she is now my wife. The new cold weather gear is a huge improvement over the old cotton long johns (you know the ones with the big pooper flap in the back).

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Couldn’t agree more with Under Armor. My girlfriend bought me level 4.0 to encourage me to move back to WI from FL. One of many reasons why she is now my wife. The new cold weather gear is a huge improvement over the old cotton long johns (you know the ones with the big pooper flap in the back).
You made me do it! Sounds to me like she was trying to get in your under ware.:eek::D

GaryL

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
Cotton has been justifiably named "the death fabric" by outdoorsy types for a long time. Glad you're leaving it at home.
Your perspiration and moisture in each breath will condense as it moves away from warm body until it cools and hits the dew point. Spare sleeping outfit and/or bedding air-outs can lessen moisture build-up over successive nights.
Should be quite an adventure, just try not to mix up the drinking water bottle & over-night pee bottle. Need to keep both in the bag to prevent freezing.:p

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

GaryL
Try to find some mickey mouse boots. They are good to 20 below. I have a pair and my feet have never been cold. They are military and are available I am sure, maybe at military surplus stores.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
remember to open the little valves when going up in elevation. Of course being at sealevel and going to Freds they would tend to swell up and the air pressure diminishes.

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
I got my bunny boots in Nome at what used to be the Hudson Bay Company at typically ridiculous Alaska pricing. Did leave the air valves open when flying as advised, and they were rather cumbersome when getting in and out of aircraft while trying not to snag pedals and cyclic. But boy were they warm, just what Jersey Jeeper needs!
Ended up giving them away once back in the lower 48 without regret...too much boot!

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have bunny and Mickey boots (white and black).

A few here know my camping trip got interrupted by an emergeancy at work (major flood).

I got one night out in 5 degrees before having to break camp the next day.

heres a few pics of my arctic oven..

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After I got home from work I got one more night in the tent on a snowy night so not all was lost..

IMG_1689.JPG

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
That stove is pretty cool as is the chimney going through your little tent.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That stove is pretty cool as is the chimney going through your little tent.
Thanks Mike, that tent has been a life long bucket list item. Next on the list is the time to use it... :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts