TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something I thought I might share. Not so much for 4X4's but for two wheel drive front and back. When stopping put in neutral before using brakes. As the engine is still trying to go with it in gear, the non driven wheels will break loose before the driven ones. Is something I learned while in bad traffic on the freeway. If you are light on the brake the driven ones will want to push the others. By just taking it out of gear when stopping and letting off when you put in gear really helps.

For those of you that drive in it regularly probably know this already.

The ford commercial in here reminded me of winter driving.

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is good advice. I remember the first time it happened to me as a new driver many years ago. I had a Pontiac Astre, rear-wheel drive with studded rear tires. Took off in the snow (slowly, fortunately), lightly touched the brakes, and the front wheels promptly locked up while the rear wheels, with all that traction, kept pushing the car along. Pressing harder on the brake eventually locked the rear wheels and I stopped, but shifting into neutral would have been the better solution. Note: this is more likely to happen when the engine is cold and idling fast. It's a good reason to let it warm up until the idle speed drops to normal.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Only if you downshift before you should.

My advice if you drive a front wheel drive in the snow: E-brake into corners, power out. This really is the reason you bought a front wheel drive car in the first place, right?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I learned about the neutral thing when I learned to drive in Illinois in the fifties. All my families cars were stick shift but one day I watched a car slide through an intersection in front of me
with his front wheels not rotating and the rear ones powering him along. Just another reason for when you get studded tires, get them on all four wheels. You need to be able to turn too.
When I put ice studs on my TW, In did both wheels, it worked great. I put them on my DR 650 with the sidecar too. when I lived in Washington.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
if you have paddle shifters or some other type of fake manual shift mode on an automatic then just downshift and use the engine braking to slow down...keeps the wheels moving instead of accidentally locking up...i do this all the time in the snow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts