TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having way too much fun riding my TW in November and I don't want to put it away for the winter.

What do I need to buy to keep riding in my upcoming 35 degree winter temps? Maybe a snowmobile suit? Snow and ice will not be a factor.

Glad I'm not living in northern Wisconsin anymore.

Thanks for the help,

Jack

·
Registered
814 Posts
AlpineStars Drystar works well for me.

Reactions: rurlndum

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm in WI, I just put on a lot of layers. Dont go out when it is icy, but I do go out above 32 degrees and layers, good gloves, and a thermal head cover under helmet works great for me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm still commuting to work in Minnesota. Rode 40 miles in 19 degrees F on Monday. That about my limit. I'll only ride when it's below freezing if it's overcast and there hasn't been any kind of precipitation event (e.g. Dry roads). I won't ride if salt has been applied. You ABSOLUTELY must watch for black ice on all surfaces, at all times or you WILL go down.

My gear:
First Gear Jaunt (old reliable. Wind proof, waterproof, and super warm)
Tour Master Caliber pants with liner (see old reliable description)
Gaerne Balance Oiled boots
Aerostich Gauntlet gloves
Aerostich Wind Triangle (won't ride anywhere w/o it)
Mountain Hardware Gaitors (between boots and pant cuff to eradicate drafts)
Shitty old modular helmet

All in all, this is an incredibly comfortable, functional winter setup. Only my forehead gets cold.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Only my forehead gets cold.
Please be careful with the forehead getting cold. When I was in the Army, during Basic one of the guys in my platoon got frostbite on his forehead while on a roadmarch. Frostbite scarring can be really ugly and permanent tissue damage to the forehead could cause muscle tissue problems leaving you without the ability to raise your eyebrows.:angry: Without the ability to move your eyebrows, facial expressions become comical such as when someone is angry. There are some things I'm just not willing to do when it comes to frostbite although I have ridden in 8*F temps myself (very short distance).

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
November riding is fun! just rode in your fine state twice last weekend.

·
Registered
226 Posts
2011-firstgear-thermo-one-piece-suit-black-grey-mcss.jpg I ride year round here in Maine I wear Firstgear Thermal suit very warm with heated grips and Hippo Hands.
So far I have stayed warm riding in weather down to -17 deg. F. And 28 inches of snow. Of course that is on a two wheel drive Ural. I am still a TW wannabe

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
So far I have stayed warm riding in weather down to -17 deg. F. And 28 inches of snow. Of course that is on a two wheel drive Ural. I am still a TW wannabe
Hey Keith,

I've considered becoming a Ural wannabe, but have been afraid to take the plunge. How about sharing some pics and your thoughts/experiences with yours?

(Should probably start a new thread, huh?)

Brian

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
I have just bought some ATV mits after reading about them on here, altho it's not as cold as it will be getting here in the UK yet, I can't believe the difference, well worth it
I'm not putting down electrically heated grips/gear, but those ATV Mitts sure do make a difference don't they? The ATV Mitts are just so simple! I put mine on a few weeks ago for the hunting season and won't take them off 'till some time in April. ...and the mitts are so cheap.

I also mount a Spit Fire windscreen, which really helps keep the wind off my chest.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Motoport / Cycleport makes some fine gear and the insulated liner for the jacket is great....you can get their garments in mesh or stretch Kevlar material, same with their gloves!.Great stuff.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Forehead: Silk Balaclava. I wont ride without one. I started wearing one in the dessert. Keeps the head warm in winter, and the helmet clean in the summer. I tried a cheap pair of ATV mitts that didn't fit well. I am going to have to buy a good pair. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: keithmaine
1 - 17 of 17 Posts