TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was young my parents had multiple heat sources for our house. We had individual electric heat for each room. (WASTE OF MONEY) We also had a fireplace on the first two floors. Due to the smoke and waste of heat my father put in two stoves. One was wood burning stove and the other a coal stove. They worked great.

My house now I have a pellet stove. My wife doesn't like the smell of it so I rarely lit it off any more so I am on the natural gas heat furnace most of the time.

But my question to forum members is What type of heat do you use in your garage? Do you store your bikes and avoid the winter months till spring or do you work on bike maintenance and heat it up garage occasionally.

Out in my garage I have an electric oil heater. I also have a Kerosene Korean Style Heater. I'm thinking of putting a wood stove out there too as back up.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
My garage is only mine for the spring, summer and fall. Once the frost arrives it becomes the home for my wife's car so she does not have to scrape or brush snow off every morning. I get to use it all day long but must have it open for her to park by 5 PM. I use a kerosene heater that works great when I must work out there in the coldest winter months. Even when it goes down to sub zero digits I can still work in 50 + temps out there. Being an attached garage it never really goes below freezing.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My garage has a water heater and a natural gas furnace, neither of which are meant to heat the garage but they incidentally do take the chill off through pilot lights and by radiating a small bit of heat from the pipes before they go into the wall.
My workshop has an antique wood burning stove. One or two burns is enough to take the place up to light jacket temp and I'm good especially if the sun is shining in New Mexico. Tom

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
i have a 40kbtu heater that runs off propane and sits between two studs. looks like this, works great. My garage is 100% a workshop, its fully insulated so this heater can get it as hot as i want it, ~55-60 is fine for me working out there so i don't feel the need to get it any warmer.
0b392e0f-a719-4745-bf2c-f3d9df996b63_1000.jpg

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Well..

18kbtu window unit for air conditioning. Runs all summer to keep humidity down.

Hydronic Fan coil for the winter currently, with proposed radiant floor to go with our current radiant driveway/walkway snowmelt systems.

Keep the temp between 66 and 72 degrees all year, humidity as low as possible, usually 50 percent optimal.

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
Separate shop - wood stove.

Occasionally I sneak in a nap up in the shop during winter. Wood stove is just so darn inviting come nap time. I like naps! I kick my feet up next to the wood stove sitting in the old repurposed computer chair and down come the eyelids and away I do snooze! The chair also serves as my worker rolling around the TW wrench chair. Of course, I've embarrassed myself by tipping over in the chair in front of the wife a time or two. Oopsie! But I digress...

·
Registered
343 Posts
With a 65'x140' (or some such) metal quanset on concrete,

Carhartt, Polar King, and Filson.

Wool, wool, wool.

Did I mention wool? :p

***a struggle from two years ago, New Years Eve, when I found out that a unit I just drug home had a seized engine.***

first use of Emocon

***last year's struggle. Built what my wife called a "murder shack" (explained in post) and used a little electric heater. Could work in a sweater most times, sometimes in a t shirt. Sadly, I tore it apart this spring, but I don't think I'll be out there anytime soon this year anyway. :mad:

Case Colt Ingersoll Lawn and Garden Tractor Forum

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have a ceiling hung natural gas unit heater on a thermostat.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
A jacket...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I use a pellet stove. we have a 3 bay garage attached to the house. I- bay is for the wife's car and 1- is for my pick up and the 3rd is called the tractor bay, ( and t dub bay ) 11.JPG where I do maintenance and clean up on our tractors. I also like to build lawn tractors in the winter and make them into fun things that usually go a little too fast for a lawn tractor, but it's fun

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 220 volt electric heater that will bring my smallish workspace to 50 degrees, plenty for workspace. If I'm just going to be out there for a half hour or less, I have a quartz electric heater on my workbench that does the trick. I have considered a wood stove or pellet stove, but I think they can be dangerous in an area where gas is stored or may be spilled. Gonna be out there tonight and it's about 45 degrees out.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts