TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Idaho. I am self-employed, tired of working around December and have quite a bit of free time during the winter months. Looking for some January/February/March destinations to run away with "Lucile" for some time on the trail... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
A few TWers show up in Quartzite AZ. Baja would be good. SoCal deserts.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
With the proper clothing and attitude we ride Basin and Range year round. More than about 3" of snow will chase us out of the Sierras but the frozen sagebrush seas of Nevada are still fun.All depends on how far one wishes to travel in search of warmth. With a warm hot spring, motorhome or motel to recover in off-road winter riding isn't too bad.
It was 23 degrees F yesterday morning when I crawled out of my van, brushed snow off of stove and fired up the coffee machine in preparation for another day's ride. To be honest I did stop here to soak and warm up on my way home. Travertine.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the proper clothing and attitude we ride Basin and Range year round. More than about 3" of snow will chase us out of the Sierras but the frozen sagebrush seas of Nevada are still fun.All depends on how far one wishes to travel in search of warmth. With a warm hot spring, motorhome or motel to recover in off-road winter riding isn't too bad.
It was 23 degrees F yesterday morning when I crawled out of my van, brushed snow off of stove and fired up the coffee machine in preparation for another day's ride. To be honest I did stop here to soak and warm up on my way home. View attachment 185220
Wow Fred, beautiful country!

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
That is the Hoover Wilderness in the sierra background. Adam-in-Nevada, Donzo and I had spent the weekend riding another mountain range twenty miles to right of picture but in our enthusiasm did not anticipate the snow. Fortunately we were well prepared for predicted dawn temps in the teens and twenties at our 9,500 ft base camp.
Lots of mule deer and hunters. Donzo found fresh bear poop 100 yards from camp as well as other droppings on remote trails. Bears likely delaying hibernation to get one last meal on deer carcasses left by hunters... Hot springs do feature an amazing view. Water enters at about 104 then cools as it flows through a series of soaking pools.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Cabin Fever has had me itching to get out of town, then I discover this nice web-cam sunset today overlooking Mt.Whitney tonight from Lone Pine. whitney 12:10.jpg I am suddenly inspired to start the New Year amongst the Alabama Hills riding with this view as a backdrop, should be some twenty degrees warmer than home. Certainly warmer than last two group camping rides I tricked folks into joining me. October's Sweetwater Fall Color ride featured a little of the color white from nightly snow and we were the Frozen Chosen at November's Boca Camp-n-Ride with morning temps in the teems.
Winter camping with the TW can be fun with a few preparations to keep warm & avoid cold soaking.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Successfully applied Darwminism should have had the grizzly take the sledder out of the gene pool.
He was claw-close, but millions of years of evolution just can't compete with the power of gasoline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts