TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I've been quite satisfied with the Jimbo screen, I decided to try a larger screen during the winter. I had this old spitfire wind screen from a previous bike and decided it could be made to fit.

I probably can tilt it slightly forward from where it is now and gain a bit of height. Its top edge is now 14" above the cross bar on my bars (thats with a 3/4" - 1" riser). It does seem to deflect much more wind from my chest but its hardly a full wind screen.

Heres a view from the back side.

I'll need to ride it a bit with the face shield up to judge the true advantages or lack thereof. Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Looks like a Stearns ATV Seat Pad from Walmart.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks like the good old stearns seat cusion, 18 dollars at wal-mart. Tuff to beat at that price, got one a few weeks ago, love it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike, I'm assuming you are talking about the Gripster tank grips (aka rubber pads on the side of the tank to provide traction for your knees). I'm sure there are other variations, but I got mine from the following site:

http://www.techspec-usa.com/products/mx_gensheet.html

You get two generic sheets of the stuff, cut it to the pattern you want, buff the edges to taper them, and stick it on. Mine has been on for various years without delaminating, but they do advertise that they are easily removed.

I wanted them in part to cover up a booboo or two on the tank. Good luck with adapting them to your specs. Tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey tom, how do you like that windshield? I have basically the same one (got it from jcwhitney) but I had put a round headlight on my bike and it seems like the height of the windshield has the wind hitting me right in the face (sounds like I'm skydiving in my helmet). I was wondering if having that square headlight with the plastic cowling lets you get a little higher with the shield. I'm 6 ft and have the handle bar risers to the max. I love the look of the round headlight compared to the square but if I can get this shield to work a little better with cowling back on, then I"m all about function over looks (Now in my single days with women, that was reversed
. I was going nuts trying to find the sweet spot with that shield last summer, adjusting the height and angle and then going for a ride, come back and change everything and head back out over and over. Let me know if you had any better luck than me... Although I still have time on my side cause it was a "balmy" 20 degrees this morning here in Pennsylvania.....

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stevie, The shield definitely moves the wind off of my chest providing more protection than the Jimbo cowling, but nothing short of a shield that reaches to about the height of the bridge of your nose will provide wind protection for you head. I definitely have a space between the shield and the stock cowling which may allow some air up under the shield that does not seem to be a problem or major source of air flow that I detect. The first day I rode with it, I had not zipped my jacket completely up to the neck, and I could tell in the 30 degree temps at 50 mph that a lot of wind was hitting my neck - painful. So. . . I guess its primary protection is to my chest and body core and not to head and neck. I've subsequently adjusted it slightly higher but still feel this situation exists. Obviously comparing air flow around and over a round headlight sans cowling would be completely different. I would say that the shields suitability depends on the type of riding you do. If I was going to do a lot of gonzo offroad riding I might not want that shield so close to my face in the event of a spill. I do the offroad riding, but in a nongonzo manner. There have been a few other folks that had these small wind screens on TWs - maybe we can get their opinions and experiences. One whose name I don't recall had hard saddlebags and a windshield (lived back east) and was most active on the old forum. Maybe you should do a search for windshield or wind screen on the old tw2oo forum to see what was said before. I've now got about 50 miles with the windshield and I'm definitely leaving it on until solid spring sets in. Tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I got the idea for the windshield off of the old site last summer (the old site was "the" site back then). There was somebody selling their TW that had the windshield on it,so I dropped 'em an email asking about it and he said he loved it. I already had the jimbo shield, which is great but I wanted a little more wind protection (I ride mostly street) and I had already changed my headlight to the round so jimbo's wouldn't work anymore. It just seems like the wind hits me perfectly in the face so it sounds like a wind tunnel, but if I stand up, the noise goes away (or even place my hand at the top of the windshield as to almost give it another 3 or 4 inches of height, it'll go away). Anyway, don't wanna lose the shield but may if I can't figure out a more quiet ride... surprisingly I didn't lose any fuel economy when I put on the windshield, I actually gained! I"m pushing close to 90 mpg. good luck with yours, if I figure something out I'll post it on here...

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
Tom,

Looks like you have something that will work for your needs. If I used the TW to commute to work, which I don't (I'm too sissyfied), I would mount a larger windshield like yours for sure.

Any possibility of leaving your Jimboshield on and adjusting your shield even higher? Maybe no need if your current mounting works for you.

Have a good one.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Tom,

Looks like you have something that will work for your needs. If I used the TW to commute to work, which I don't (I'm too sissyfied), I would mount a larger windshield like yours for sure.

Any possibility of leaving your Jimboshield on and adjusting your shield even higher? Maybe no need if your current mounting works for you.

Have a good one.

Running both shields would be an interesting experiment, admiral. Together they might create a venturi effect that would generate enough velocity to cary the turbulance over the rider's head.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why don't I look at it? I do have space between the spitfire and the tw cowling. Tom

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've got a Cee Bailey Baja windshield, that is almost as tall but narrower, it works good, but I live in So Cal so it warm most of the time.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Qwerty, well I looked and the suggestion of using both is a good one except the Jimbo shield is just a smidge (1 - 2 cm) wide to fit between the braces for the spitfire wind screen. Yes, I could modifiy the Jimbo, but don't want to. I did ponder making something to go in the space from some heavy plastic that I scrounged from a PU bedliner. That stuff is cool material, flexible, tough, and easy to cut. I ultimately copped out and will give the issue some thought later when I have more time. I'm a tad occupied now with a wife just having her second (other side) hip replacement (one week ago), repairing some pipes that burst when we had -16 degree weather while I was not at home (while she was in hospital), and playing home health provider, for the recent patient. Actually the plumbing ia fixed but I'm occupied restuffing insulation back into the holes in the ceiling and arranging for sheetrock/plaster repair person next week. In the meantime its 60-70 degrees out and my wife has graciously encouraged me to a take a few sanity rides this week (maybe she wants less attention?).

Lest folks think we are talking about an aged person here, she says her definition of a successful two hip replacements will be when she can swing her leg over the Bianchi and ride a 25-50 mile circuit. We have hopes that it will be possible. Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Wow, she's tough. Better not piss her off.

Don't cut up your Jimbo shield. You can try a piece of Coroplast or plain old cardboard box as a venturi.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had a spitfire on for a year and I am very happy with it,I do wear a full face helmet and am 5'10,but can open shield half way and no wind problem.Dale

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mrmagoo, I agree. I like the Spitfire, but with the qualification (disadvantage, pointed out by Jimbo of having a major piece of plastic pointed at your face in the event of an end-over. I do feel the threat of the windshield close to my face, but I too wear a full face helmet (although sometimes with the face shield up if at speeds of less than 35 mph or on warm days). I can definitely feel the added deflection of wind from my torso, and neck and (if I tuck my chin a bit, from my face). If I was a highway man, or headed across country, the spitfire would me hands down my preference for the TW, but since my typical ride is mostly dirt, mostly 35 mph or so, and as likely to spill me as any normal (non gonzo) ride, I'd prefer the Jimbo shield in the New Mexico spring, summer and fall. I repeat, I like the Spitfire shield on the TW, but with certain qualifications, and in specific circumstances. Its a luxury I can afford since I bought the spitfire with another motorcycle and can rationalize it as "free".

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
232 Posts
I really like the "Spitfire" shield. A forum member on the old forum by the name of "jclovesyou" did a very good review as I recall, he even ran both at once so he could swap one out when he wanted. He rated it highly. I delebratly made Trailwaycafe' shield the size it is for a specific need, function and look, and if I wanted a shield for more winter weather protection I would have a Spitfire for sure. it about as big as I would allow for a small bike like the mighty TW. I think it looks about as good as it can for being as large as it is.

***About the comment below.*** Thanks Peruano-Man!! I have been quiet ever sense the new forum started I guess, I hav'nt been able to post pics and I lost most of my cherished threads from the old forum. I will eventually catch up when I "Grow up" & figure this "up load" problem out . I think it's my browser or something. it cant be too difficult, I see others pics. Ronnydog and I both are having much frustration. In spite of that I'm having fun with one of my TWs a 4" swing arm, comming up, Clark Gas tank installed and ready for A total moto camo "Mothwind Blaze Mimicry" Camo job, and a new Scotts steering stabilizer just got welded on. and a host of other stuff is on it's way to the dedicated desert sled.

Warm Regards, Jimbo

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jimbo, Thanks for the words of agreement - it means something coming from the cafe/windscreen man of the TW world. You have been quiet lately, so I am glad to hear from you. Spring is coming and my cafe shield will be going back on the bike soon. Cheers. Tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts