TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jimbo shield which is great for getting the wind off my abdomen during the summertime, but I think i'm going to need something more substantial for the wintertime. I've looked over a few peoples postings and now i'm looking to put everyones suggestions and pictures together into one main "Wintertime Windshield" post. Thanks in in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
My bike came with this National Cycle street shield, I took it off and went for a ride then put it right back on. It blocks a lot of wind, a much more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Here is my Spitfire install.

As noted before, it was warmer but for off road or primitive road riding, I felt that the shield was a bit close to my face and might threaten my already threatened good looks in the event of my droping the bike.

Just as important for winter time riding in my eyes are hand guards to break that wind chill on your hands. Here are my extra large Moose Racing shields.

You can even improve the benefit with an extra ballistic nylon atv deflector (only one installed here but you can imagine a pair)

It sure too bad that fall is coming. Tom

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(taken from p smith)

Installed a Viper Windscreen from Slip Stream on one of my TW200's this weekend. I slipped it down behind the plastic headlight Bezel, LOOKS GREAT and does a great job of keeping the wind blast off! Not shown in the pictures, but I cut the small bottom corners off the windsheild, where they bend in. (scored with a knife, then snapped right off) this made it easy to get to the trip odometer rest knob.

It looks like it was made for the bike! Plenty tall for me (6' tall) and installed in minutes!

I had to wear ear plugs before, because of all the noise around my helmet (I wear a half cap) and now it is much better. I dont think you can fit a windshield larger than this one on a TW and it still look like a TW. I have only ridden it a few days, but the windshield is stable in the brackets. This one is 17" tall from the black trim at the bottom of the windshield (see pictures), So that puts it very close to to 17" above the top of existing headlight fairing.

They cost over $100.00 from Slipstream.

$90 including shipping from powersportssuperstore

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote name='peruano' date='12 September 2011 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1315859873' post='26453]

You can even improve the benefit with an extra ballistic nylon atv deflector (only one installed here but you can imagine a pair)

It sure too bad that fall is coming. Tom

[/quote]

Can I get get a front view of those nylon/foam guards? I have found two moose racing guards and cant tell which to get...

The moose racing ones look better and more suited for a bike but the atv ones seem to get more coverage.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Windshield Prices

BRAND - H x W : price range

Maier Universal - 14.5" x 16" : $83

National Cycle - 15" x 15" : $100-$110

Slipstreamer Viper - 17.25" x 22.25" : $90-$115

Slipstreamer Spitfire - 15" x 17.5" : $55-$65

Givi Airstars - 16.75" x 14.5" : $110-$125

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hey guys and gals, Its all in how nerdy you want to look with these nylon wind deflectors. I'm suspecting that mine are the wider atv versions (which work fine for me but do detract from my being totally cool). Hey if its protection from the wind you are wanting, bigger is better as long as it doesn't become a kite or slow the bike. These do not, so. . . Again, I'm impressed with how stable they attach with nothing but velcro and a nylon wire tie. Cold hands are a danger when it come to clutch and brake time. Ride safely and stay warm.

If you really insist on front view, here's my best photo from a couple of years ago.
Tom

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any suggestions on which shield to get? I HATE BEING COLD! Im leaning towards the viper but I really wish it wasnt made for a round headlight. It is the tallest one I could find at 17.25" tall and i'm 5'11" so i'm hoping its tall enought to push the wind over my head. I dont know how these universal windshields adjust. I also have tusk handlebar risers and I dont know if that will effect the height of the shield...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I adjusted mine as low and as far out as I could for the summer, I'm going to raise it and bring it in a little closer to me for the winter. They are very adjustable up and down and in and out.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I adjusted mine as low and as far out as I could for the summer, I'm going to raise it and bring it in a little closer to me for the winter. They are very adjustable up and down and in and out.
Which one do you have?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up ordering the viper and moose foam guards. Ready for winter!

If I ever decide to stop riding off-road I will end up getting a nice round headlight that would compliment the shield nicely. Looks kinda silly with the oem headlight and no fairing.

I'd also like to get a white front fender...

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Just out of curiousity, I found this (seems like a pretty good price):

http://www.cheapcycl...CFUXf4Aod6VwYhA

It says it includes 1" clamps, but that doesn't seem right: can anyone confirm or deny this particular detail? Seems I remember our bars are 7/8?

Yes our bars are 7/8 inch. However, I'm running the Spitfire now and unless there are different clamps, they fit on the TW great. Also really really quick taking the windscreen off, 30 seconds - though I've not officially timed myself. I'll go look at my clamps and see if they are universal for 1" and 7/8" bars.

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
help finding windshield

I have a Jimbo shield which is great for getting the wind off my abdomen during the summertime, but I think i'm going to need something more substantial for the wintertime. I've looked over a few peoples postings and now i'm looking to put everyones suggestions and pictures together into one main "Wintertime Windshield" post. Thanks in in advance for all your help!
New to posting on the forum, but I've been reading it for months. I read this thread about windshields

and haven't had any luck finding one (could be me? ). I've been to the slipstream website looking for a tw choice but no luck. I appreciate all your photos and comments and hope you'll enlighten me with a link to the windshield.thanks, I realize this is an older post. Scotty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts