TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, fresh to the page and the TW200 Game.. Just picked up a 1992 and want to simplify it by removing everything not needed.. Started tackling the spaghetti wiring mess last night but I figured i'd hop on here and ask the pros.. Basically I want to keep the headlight/taillight (Would like to put a different headlight(round) LED. (Tail light was missing when purchased so ill have to do some tracing to have the break light again. (need a new tail light) get rid of the neutral indicator display and maybe not even put a Speedo back on there(broken/missing Speedo cable) remove the off/run switch and possibly move the key to a hidden on off switch (So no key is needed) Going to put a simple dirtbike throttle on it. No battery no electric start.. Blinkers and horn were missing and I don't care to replace them so just going to remove that switch as well. Some of the safety stuff was missing to begin with but I don't want it any way..... Any info on what wiring I can just go ahead and clip to get some crap out of my way would be sweet. Also any info on a tiny bit of engine tweaking would be nice (carb cleaning/jetting/upgrading)(is it even worth it?) Definitely needs to be cleaned and probably vales adjusted. She ran ok (very slightly gagging)(carb was the first thing on my mind when purchasing.) at first then yesterday I rode about a mile down the street and she started choking a bit and cut off.. never got it to start again but I never did anything other try to kick it over a bunch of times. (The reason I started the tear down so soon) Appreciate any input! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Check out the Technical Writeup section here. I don’t think you’ll have to search too hard to find wiring diagrams. If you have ruled out old/bad fuel and all the other culprits, you’ll also find great write ups with pictures for cleaning carbs.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Welcome from NY!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay to simplify my questions. What components does this bike need to run and have a headlight, tail light, brake light and a ignition switch (key)(which I would still also like to turn into a hidden switch instead of a key).. I want to clip all these wires out that are unnecessary but I'm afraid to start ripping shit out before I know exactly what relays and stuff I need to keep connected.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Your goal looks similar to the electrical system my 1962 Harley XLCH Sportster had. Found this simplified diagram of it's basic design which would be a guideline for what parts would be needed. Note that there is no battery, turn indicators, key switch or starter. Lights ran off the generator, ignition off a magneto so you would need to put a rectifier in line after the TW's alternator.

62572bdf7f13ab42615d0ee5cd9d819f.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,925 Posts
Reactions: thedugan

·
Registered
48 Posts
I prefer this wiring diagram because it shows more of what the components actually do such as the relays.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but have you re wired your tw? I’m doing something similar but I’m removing all the lights and horn etc and making strictly kickstart trail riding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts