TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Betty Boop's third left side footpeg bracket. This one TW-Brian sent me in pristine condition about two years ago. foot peg.jpg
Somehow I manage to have a bit more than my fair share of close encounters of the granitic kind.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
This is Betty Boop's third left side footpeg bracket. This one TW-Brian sent me in pristine condition about two years ago. View attachment 197198
Somehow I manage to have a bit more than my fair share of close encounters of the granitic kind.
Since you are known for rolling over boulders maybe if you could make up a roller bearing on that lower side of the peg. On the same thought also add a skid plate with individual rollers all across the bottom. Just think of the downhill speed you could pick up if those big rocks don't slow you down.

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
You need to ride more careful and above ground level and this type of thing wouldn't happen as much. A riding style like below no doubt saves foot peg damage. Credit to Trail Woman for this fine example. I think Stagewax has many fine examples as well. :p

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That would give me the necessary clearance. I should have Trail Woman give me some lessons...or simply go back to riding the tortoise in my avatar. :D aaaa.jpg

·
Registered
816 Posts
if they were any stronger Fred you'd break the frame by the peg mount........

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have broken and re-welded that frame tab more than once.
Yesterday single trackin' some bouldery zones I first center punched the skid plate so stoutly the G load instantly stalled the motor and much of my thought processes...enough "G"s to break light bulb filaments and looses dental work...now my high beam indicator doesn't work.
Shortly thereafter another smack on the right side folded brake lever under the Ricochet locking up the rear end. It tool a long 19mm wrench and serious effort to pry the pretzeled lever out from under the skid plate freeing the brakes so the wheel could turn again.
Fun, fun, fun but now it's time to fix, fix, fix.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I’m still chuckling about the broken frame in Moab and the missing valve cover gasket

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still grateful for all the help.

Now do I drill a small hole at end of this crack his to slow down it's propagation? Or simply stop beating poor skid plate against Mother Nature? ;) crack.jpg

·
Registered
816 Posts
Drill it grind it weld it. Put a backing plate and weld it some more.....

·
Registered
13,784 Posts

Now do I drill a small hole at end of this crack his to slow down it's propagation? Or simply stop beating poor skid plate against Mother Nature? ;) View attachment 197500
Just duct tape it and keep riding. Or you could listen to the sound advice of Vanillagorrila. Your choice! haha :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Mount your old stock one below that one to have a double walled barrier with cushioning in between. If it is gizmo; you'll still have ground clearance. :eek:ccasion18:

·
Read Only
173 Posts

Now do I drill a small hole at end of this crack his to slow down it's propagation? Or simply stop beating poor skid plate against Mother Nature? ;) View attachment 197500
Have you ever tried this stuff out? I haven't tried it on my skid plates yet, but it has fixed my aluminum canoe a dozen times. It ends up being stronger than the aluminum around it. I went all the way up each side of the keel plate on both sides and that boat is near indestructible against rocks in the shallows now. Still don't understand why the kids are afraid to go fishing with me in that boat :p

https://aluminum-weld.com/ You can get similar rods (or maybe the same with a different name?) at Harbor Freight.
If you do use it, get a stainless steel brush and really clean up the area as good as possible first.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You'ld think one cm thick steel wouldn't bend like this. Needs a bit of blacksmithing skills to restore. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2856.jpg

Don't think I can do anything to this to make me come out smelling like a rose. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_285d.jpg

So I have ordered new parts. Not really complaining, this stuff gave me many a year of good service. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2859.jpg

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ooops, apparently riding 3 inches to the right hasn't worked out that well for me. Doing a little prep work before last night's trail ride I discovered this: peg pivot.jpg

The right side brake pivot is sheared off at the frame. Likely would not have happened had OEM through bolt been 30mm longer so that it extended further into threaded frame tab visible. Shear occurred right at point of maximum bending moment which of course is shortly after loss of strength imparted by through bolt and end of support imparted by brake lever's sleeve that fits over pivot. A design flaw that may be a bit difficult to repair.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts