TW200 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Best solution is to simply stop riding & install the long travel suspension parts set aside in garage. That way Betty Boop would have the additional ground clearance that the already equipped Mr.Gizmo has and simply sail over many obstacles. I have been too much riding with buddies on bikes with 18 & 21 inch wheels on eroded rocky trails made by other 18 & 21 inch bikes. This is where the TW's relatively lack of ground clearance has me bouncing off Mother Nature.
A ride on the plush Mr.Gizmo last night really highlighted the shortcomings of the stock 6" suspension travel. Love the TW but sorry Yamaha never dipped into its existing parts bin for better suspension components.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Ooops, apparently riding 3 inches to the right hasn't worked out that well for me. Doing a little prep work before last night's trail ride I discovered this: View attachment 198540

The right side brake pivot is sheared off at the frame. Likely would not have happened had OEM through bolt been 30mm longer so that it extended further into threaded frame tab visible. Shear occurred right at point of maximum bending moment which of course is shortly after loss of strength imparted by through bolt and end of support imparted by brake lever's sleeve that fits over pivot. A design flaw that may be a bit difficult to repair.
Well, yours looks very similar to Squirrel's ripped off right footpeg thingy. I've repaired mine twice and the photo below is from the first time. I was able to jury rig a bolt to go through there and so far the second fix has been holding up well. Being Squirrel is a kick start only, I had to fix it or I couldn't start it. Kick lever would get tangle wampussed in the footpeg contraption stuff.

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I re-cut the treads on both pieces so a new longer M10-1.25 x 50 bolt can tie them together with threads aligned, then see if any welding can be done without stripping things down to naked frame for access, or simple JBWeld can add some needed strength.
Rather than breaking from me stomping on it I think the fracture occurred while on my MotoJack. Commited to climbing a nasty eroded zone high above Mono Lake in the van my rack banged on a rock breaking a linkage pivot. Shortly afterwards crossing a deep creek the bike then rocked strongly. Leveraged weight was restrained only by the footpeg clamp and this I feel overloaded the brake pivot's "drum" causing the fracture.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts