TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got off work (11.5 hours worth) last night at 7, While I was at work Mudbug informed me that the hot water pipe had frozen going to the kitchen. The main issue with this was that it would hinder us practicing our culinary skills and enjoying our evening in the kitchen. It thawed out a little before I got home so no worries. Well, around 7:30 we go in the kitchen and their is no hot water. The kids had been washing dishes and said that they ran out and it was just waiting he heat back up. 8:15 roll around and I check it and its still cold.
After a little bit of checking I decide that the heating element went out. Having been down this road before, I keep a spare element for just such occasions. After getting the water hose drug through the house into the bathroom and get everything hooked up I decide to just let the water heater drain into the shower, except its not draining. The Water hose froze and has ice in it. So I blow it out, from the wrong end, now there is ice, water and misc other things that were in the water hose decorating the water heater closet. Nice. Ohwell, I decide that's a simple enough problem, lets get this thing drained. hooked back up, still not draining. So I start using the water hose like a siphon hose thinking that it just needs a little help. Im still not sure what I drank and exactly how wet I got when it started flowing.
About 30 minutes later I look and it appears to be finished, Time to change the element. Turns out the hose and somehow stopped but the heater was quite full still and I learned this when I started to pull the element. Now that Im really Wet and the closet is a small swimming pool. I run the hose out the back door and it flowing like a river at this point. Didn't take that long for everything to finish up making a mess (the water I mean, im going strong) The element can finally be changed. This was the only uneventful part of the process as the water hose hung on everything possible on the way out from the hallway wall to couch legs, turned the power back on BEFORE I put the cover over the element so I was reminded that it has electricity flowing to it, the shower is also now a mess from the heater draining and refilling (mineral build up) because I had the shower turned on to let the air escape and fill faster. This all finished up around 11:00 last night.
I Did have a VERY nice hot shower this morning though.....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't ya just hate coming home from work to a disaster!!??
It most certainly wasn't the plan. Sliced Deer Fajita's or Deer Tacos was the plan (still got the taco's in the end, yum)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Wow, Lomax, that wasn't much fun at all. It always seems to hit you when you have something else on the agenda. Glad you got it fixed as quickly as you did. Whenever I do a project like this, whether planned or unplanned, it takes at least three,yes, three trips to Home Depot or lowes. I'm like Tuna, I clicked on like, just cause I like reading what folks on here are going through.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was glad I had decided to keep that extra element, We have a local hardware store that was long since closed by the time I got home and Home Depot or Lowes either one are 30 miles away and that would have been my only option that late. When it comes to repairs like that, rather than a like, its more like a love to hate kinda thing. I understand what you mean totally on the "like" on this one :D

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Sounds about like me last March:

As Montezuma and I were heading home from Big "Not in South Texas" Bend, the wife calls and tells me that the main drain in the basement had backed up and raw sewage was coming up in the basement....the West Central Ohio area had major rains for a few days before, but since I live on 'Five Points" the highest level in the city of Celina, this should not happen, and only has one other time before....once again I guessed the City was at fault, despite their denial....BASTARDS! ....

After we arrived home I called out the plumber and for the 2nd time in 21 years had major "Roto Rooter" type work done.....I then raised Hell with City Hall....and told them if it happed again, at their fault, I was going to plug up their Gawd Damn Main Drain and let the chips fall....the sons a bitches did major cleaning work soon after and no problems since....we will see how it goes this coming rainy season...

Not the first time I have left the house and come home to a mess or water damage...a pain in the ass to say the least, but it could be worse...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, it could have been a bigger issue than it turned out to be, Im happy about that. Hopefully your complaining to city hall made a difference as I would much rather come home to a failed element over a basement full of sewage

·
Registered
368 Posts
lucky for lomax, i dont mind getting a little dirty. while he was at work today, i crawled under the house and insulated the re-frozen pipe after it thawed. the "eager to please" dog....a g.d. nightmare he brought home last yr, had chewed all the foam crap off. also lucky for lomax, i brought a new-to-me boat and trailer home today all rigged out for the river. for free. go me!!!! (that last part had nothing to do with this thread. im just excited and had to tell everybody.) :p

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
O no, now Mandy AKA Evil Knievel is hitting the water!!! God help us!!! :confused2:

:icon_pirat:

lucky for lomax, i dont mind getting a little dirty. while he was at work today, i crawled under the house and insulated the re-frozen pipe after it thawed. the "eager to please" dog....a g.d. nightmare he brought home last yr, had chewed all the foam crap off. also lucky for lomax, i brought a new-to-me boat and trailer home today all rigged out for the river. for free. go me!!!! (that last part had nothing to do with this thread. im just excited and had to tell everybody.) :p

·
Registered
368 Posts
O no, now Mandy AKA Evil Knievel is hitting the water!!! God help us!!! :confused2:

:icon_pirat:
nobody's safe at this point. i've got a 14' flat bottom with a trollin motor. there's no stoppin me.

:victorious: :hello2: :sunny: :blob1: :blob3: :eek:ccasion14: :icon_flower: :headbang:

The best part about this boat... it's all mine. i dont have to ask anybody to take me. which is awesome cause most of the people i know with a boat wont take another man's wife fishing, no matter how many times the hubby says he doesnt mind and is glad im getting to go. Bless lomax's heart. he really has tried to help me find fishing buddies. lifelong friends, highschool buddies, nobody wanted to take me.
...and i even know how to bait my own hook. i've even got my own gear. grrr..... i just wanna catch some fish

so YAY!!! i'm a bad ass chick with a bad ass bike that can take herself fishin now. :bootyshake::toothy12::toothy4::toothy9::hippy2:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Glad you got a boat but it's too bad people think like they do.My best friend in my younger days worked the night shift and I sometimes would hang out with his wife.They lived in a small one bedroom cottage so I would sleep with her and when he got home he would kick me to the couch.Now I'm not gay just loyal to my friends.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mandy, why not take Lomax's eager to please dog fishing with you now in your very own boat? Dawgs make good fishing companions.

View attachment 73921
The eager to please dog has been long gone. We gave it away twice, but people kept bringing it back. :angry7: I kept the gate locked for months after I gave it to the last lady. Didn't wanna take any chances. lol And my big dog happens to be scared of water and terrified of boats. Hell, he's even terrified of windshield wipers. SMH....
jake4.jpg

·
Registered
368 Posts
Glad you got a boat but it's too bad people think like they do.My best friend in my younger days worked the night shift and I sometimes would hang out with his wife.They lived in a small one bedroom cottage so I would sleep with her and when he got home he would kick me to the couch.Now I'm not gay just loyal to my friends.
I don't think that would fly in my house...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts