TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest son Dustin told me the other day that he was considering a job as a guard in Hagerstown Prison. I couldn't imagine working around evil all day. Does anyone here have any experience working in our prison system?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Me and Bucknutz are both retired from the NY prison system.

GaryL

Reactions: TopPredator

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me and Bucknutz are both retired from the NY prison system.

GaryL
I think before I chose a job in the prison system I would surely talk to guys who have been there. It's not a job for me.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
It happens to be a very good job with a big IF attached to it, IF you can handle it! He will make a good salary and have a good benefits package and hopefully with a great pension attached to it. A funny thing about it is guys who work in the prison usually want nothing to do with being a street cop and street cops want nothing to do with working in the prisons.

GaryL

Reactions: TopPredator

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
It will also give him a chance to bulk up! I've known several people who have done the job and that's the first thing they were told to do. That and being able to let a whole bunch of crap slide off you back.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
It will also give him a chance to bulk up! I've known several people who have done the job and that's the first thing they were told to do. That and being able to let a whole bunch of crap slide off you back.
There are some who think that Bulking up will help but I can tell you for sure it is meaningless. I am 5' 10 and weigh 170 pounds and always have. Bulking up between your ears will be a much better idea and learning how to be Fair, Firm and Consistent in your approach to human behavior will serve you much better than muscle. As a supervisor in the prisons I always found the guys who did in fact bulk up and act like gladiators were my biggest nemesis and always caused me problems. Being big and strong is not a prerequisite but there are times when it is nice to have a couple goons on your side. If what you want to do is fight then I suggest you join the military because if you think your muscles will help when you are by yourself with 70-100 unchained convicts I wish you luck.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I applied for a job doing this once. I was approved for the job, but thankfully a job I was more experienced at came along just in time. I was so glad; I really, really didn't want to do it, but was searching for work.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got any good stories GaryL?

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Got any good stories GaryL?
I retired after 27 years of service in December 1999 and vowed at that very moment to leave all the stories right there as the gate closed behind me for the last time. I made it through hundreds of real Pucker Moments and 2 riots within the walls and I honestly don't care to even think about any of it any more. Even when I get together with old co workers I don't much care to re hash old war stories. It was a career and certainly not a life.

GaryL

·
Registered
425 Posts
OOOHHH I know the answer to this one... Actually here is the thing Gary hit it on the nail head. I have been in Corrections for over 10 years. And the military for 21, all by the tender age of 38. It is a job, it can be dangerous, it can be tedious, but it is a job. Again Gary said firm, fair and consistent. He is not wrong. I have worked all custody levels, had to fight inmates, I have had to help them get over the loss of a loved one. If a person has a strong enough mind it can be a truly rewarding job. If not find another job because it will eat at you. You will see things that are strange, scary, stupid, and stupidly funny. Sometimes within 5 minutes of each episode. Do not ever forget were you are at and who you are dealing with.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My youngest son Dustin told me the other day that he was considering a job as a guard in Hagerstown Prison. I couldn't imagine working around evil all day. Does anyone here have any experience working in our prison system?
There is one last thing that I forgot to mention last night. And this is truly, truly critical...Your boy will have to get a TW if he doesn't already have one. He will need the simple pleasure of riding to clear his thoughts and quiet the soul. It may sound cheesy, but it is true. Really any bike will work, but now I am a TW junkie so... Anyway that has got to be the rule for working in corrections.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
OOOHHH I know the answer to this one... Actually here is the thing Gary hit it on the nail head. I have been in Corrections for over 10 years. And the military for 21, all by the tender age of 38. It is a job, it can be dangerous, it can be tedious, but it is a job. Again Gary said firm, fair and consistent. He is not wrong. I have worked all custody levels, had to fight inmates, I have had to help them get over the loss of a loved one. If a person has a strong enough mind it can be a truly rewarding job. If not find another job because it will eat at you. You will see things that are strange, scary, stupid, and stupidly funny. Sometimes within 5 minutes of each episode. Do not ever forget were you are at and who you are dealing with.
The worst things I saw was when some official, celebrity or politician makes a statement like " Send him to prison so he can become Bubba's bitch", This crap does in fact happen and a single correction officer in an open dorm with 70 convicts can't possibly stop it. In the reception area when I saw some blond haired, blue eye, skinny little street thug coming in I could take bets on how long it would be before he got raped or joined a gang for his own personal protection. In 27 years you can be sure I saw it all and there wasn't much I could ever do to prevent a lot of it. My recommendation would always be unless you are a real tough guy then just stay out of prison.

GaryL

·
Registered
425 Posts
Gary again with the solid knowledge. Yeah even in Minimum were I am a Unit Sergeant right now. You know it happens. You do what you can to stop it, but... Oh well job security and all that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts