TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let any members that live in the area of New Oxford Pennsylvania about the WWII re-enactment that will be taking place on September 16 at 9 am.
A friend of mine, Steve and I will be riding our bikes to the event, then after we figured we would ride around the countryside of Pennsylvania. Steve has attended this twice and said it is just a "must see"

[video]http://www.liberationofnewoxford.com/[/video]

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Im not usually one to say so but that looks really cool.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not usually one to say so but that looks really cool.
I agree...I can't wait Plus look what's just up the road :D. Michaux State Forest

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I agree...I can't wait Plus look what's just up the road :D. Michaux State Forest

A back brace would be mandatory for that single track on our Tw's!

Tom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A back brace would be mandatory for that single track on our Tw's!

Tom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah I think it's more like single rut but I bet it would be a cool place to Stealth camp.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
18 in '45= 90
Like my Dad the first day you turned 18 you enlisted. That group of kids at the end of the war were being trained for the Amphibious Invasion of mainland Japan.
A-Bomb good or bad put that invasion on the shelf. So these young guys are not just part of the Greatest Generation, perhaps the Luckiest Generation.

Ironically they were the first to be reactivated when Korea started-up.

I was in Arizona last week and visited the Pima Air & Space Museum which is the gatekeeper for access to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Located on that base is the famous airplane "Boneyard". Incredible would be an understatement, another story.
But back at Pima was an Army Air Corp (there was no Air Force then) veteran who flew in the very first daytime bombing raids over Germany. I saw this gentleman but by the time we got back from the boneyard he was gone for the day. He was 94 and while I didn't get to speak to him just being in his presence was enough. Hopefully I'll go back again next year and he'll still be there. He was 94.
So yeah, they are still around.

·
Registered
562 Posts
18 in '45= 90
Like my Dad the first day you turned 18 you enlisted. That group of kids at the end of the war were being trained for the Amphibious Invasion of mainland Japan.
A-Bomb good or bad put that invasion on the shelf. So these young guys are not just part of the Greatest Generation, perhaps the Luckiest Generation.

Ironically they were the first to be reactivated when Korea started-up.

I was in Arizona last week and visited the Pima Air & Space Museum which is the gatekeeper for access to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Located on that base is the famous airplane "Boneyard". Incredible would be an understatement, another story.
If you had pics hosted online anywhere I'd be interested in seeing them (of the airplane junk yard)

I am fascinated with the meaness of humans and the amazing courage of average humans brought out from WW2. Any war actually, It's just WW2 touched so many people's lives

·
Registered
19,583 Posts
Davis-Monthan does stack ‘em like cordwood...crunched collectables:
Here is a pile of Thunderchiefs: f84f-thunderstreaks-davis-monthan-amarg.jpg
I’ll take a handful of Warbirds, please: fighters-walnut-ridge-arkansas-boneyard-after-wwii.jpg
But if you are looking for recent models in fly-away condition nothing beats the irradiated left-overs from Chernobyl. Google Earth blurs this location to prevent looters from putting glow-in-the-dark equipment on the used market. chernobyl-airplane-boneyard.png

·
Registered
19,583 Posts
The Airplane Boneyard - YouTube

Some years ago I saw a neat video of a big guillotine chopping some of the nuclear capable B-52s as readily visible proof to the former USSR of conformance with SALT II treaty terms. images.jpeg B52.SALT.Tucson_01.xl.jpg
It would be fun to wander through the “Boneyard” google-earth-abandon-usa-arizona-graveyard_26_47.jpg

·
Registered
19,583 Posts
More: aircraft-boneyard-2.jpg e-2c-boneyard-tucson-arizona.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

I can’t believe the Air Force plans to replace the A-10 with stealthy Raptor variants for the air-to-mud close air support missions. Troops on ground need something that can troll low and slow with a long loiter time on station with significant payload stores. You just can’t hang mass quantities of ordinance under a F-22 like you can with the old Warthog. main-qimg-ead69d2c65ba0b286a39ec3e5dfeae9e-c.jpeg

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd go there and just cry wanting to take all of those poor homeless aircraft and give them a nice place to live in my yard.
I'll take one to use as a Jungle Gym

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Anyone going to make it? I decided not to ride my TW and take a handicap friend who has been a shut in for the last 15 years.

This is a very kind gesture and act you are doing for your handicapped friend. You, sir, are a good person.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
First, I really wish I could make this re-enactment event but have to work. Please post pix if you can.

Second, I just finished putting together some video of my visit to the Pima/Davis-Mothran/AMARG/Boneyard from a few weeks ago.
I had so much more to include but keeping an eye on the editing clock this, at 14 minutes is the longest video I've ever made.

If you ever get a chance to go there give yourself almost a whole day. Start your tour (self-guided or via a tram) at Pima. This is the only location that is authorized for you to enter the Air Base. And while you are waiting for your particular bus to take you there they are also doing a full-background check on you. If you have any reservations about that do not sign up!!!!
You have to pass through the Air Base to get to AMARG and AMARG to get to the actual "Boneyard". Even when you get to the base there is a 45 minute lag as they make you get off the bus while they do a major search of the museum bus. Really is not a joke there. This base supports a major detachment of A-10's (Warthogs) and I think C5's?
Anyway by the time you get to AMARG which is perhaps the only Quasi-Profitable operation in the US Government, finish that and tour the Boneyard it's 5+ hours easy. I cancelled the trip I thought I was going to take of a Titan Missle Silo nearby. Next time I guess.
And some of the best hours you will spend if you like up-close incredible aviation.
If you do view the whole video understand that so many of these planes such as the B52 ("H-Model) and Warthog are still actively flying with no real end in site. They just have never come up with anything better to replace these birds.
Enjoy:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts