TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
No wonder why our Defense Budget is through the roof. Wish I knew how much each round costs so I could do some math and figure out how much 5 minutes or 5 million rounds would cost.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I read that the M134 MiniGun was on helicopters, I thought of you Gary, and figured you would be familiar with this type of gun. I can't even imagine 1,000,000 rounds a minute though.

No wonder why our Defense Budget is through the roof. Wish I knew how much each round costs so I could do some math and figure out how much 5 minutes or 5 million rounds would cost.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
When I read that the M134 MiniGun was on helicopters, I thought of you Gary, and figured you would be familiar with this type of gun. I can't even imagine 1,000,000 rounds a minute though.
My squadron's choppers did have guns for them but only ever mounted on them when they went into a war zone. With the exception of 2 short training cruises, Gitmo and Nova Scotia, I never got out of the states so we were just air cranes. We shared hangars side by side with a Marine Chopper squad and they had all the big guns.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
Metal Storm has been around for some time, and while it has been deployed by USN in limited numbers since '07 it is not something expended frequently like the $70,000 AGM-114 Hellfires we use to obliterate ISIS Toyotas and the like. Fielding the AGMs and their various launch platforms are certainly expensive but they are effective and widely deployed.
The Navy is not procuring the 9mm projectile based systems we see in the promo videos but rather experimenting with a 40mm grenade system to complement existing Phalanx point defense systems. iRobot, who makes our Rumba robotic vacuum cleaners, has the Firestorm drone but it's 40mm barrel systems hold only 16 rounds each. Army wants some sort of anti-RPG counter but all the MetalStorm variants are bulky, "shoot the wad" very quickly then require bulky time consuming re-loads.
Metalstorm is a neat concept but just putting rounds downrange is just the beginning, need to track and hit one's target hard. It is almost like having a single shot shotgun.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It's as Fred said, basically a shot gun...

Now if you really want to have fun, & blow a bunch of tax payer $$, drag a few Sgt. Yorks out of the moth balls of the 1980's... m.

Although the text over pics is a drag, check out the other youtube vids called the Sgt. York disaster pt. 1&2.

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
The Russian ZSU 23-4 is much superior to the Sergeant York when properly deployed, maintained and armed , all four barrels up and sync'ed with the on-board radar unlike the export models one sees in Syria.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts