TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Would you buy a demo bike?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Werloc 
#1 · (Edited)
Would you buy a demo bike? (EDIT: I DID!)

I bought my first two bikes new, but now that I'm looking at adding a much larger and more modern (read: way more expensive) bike to the stable, I'm considering lightly used bikes to try and save some money on the deal.

I've come across a demo bike that fits the bill at a local dealer - 60 miles on the ODO and $3K off MSRP in return.

Does anyone have some insight that could help me out here? Am I asking for trouble by considering a demo bike?

#3 ·
+1, 60 miles isn't alot but if it was flogged the damage may be done. Depending on the type, if it is a cruiser it probably wasn't beaten, if it's a sportbike it may have been. Also, what's the best deal you can get on a new one, how much off of MSRP? If you can get 2k off of a new one I'd go that route myself.

#4 ·
Like above it would depend on type. My first TW was a dealer demo. It had 25 miles on it. Put 6,000 more on it and sold it to a friend. It's still going with close to 12,000 total now.

#5 ·
Sorry, in trying to keep my post short I guess I left out some important information!

The bike is a 2013 Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer XC. I've been looking more at shaft-drive sport touring bikes, but this Trump just fits me like a glove. I can flat foot on both sides and I don't have to give up free camping off of Forest Service roads. Practically pays for itself in 2 or 3 hundred years with saved campsite fees alone!

I'm going back for a test ride tomorrow, that should give me a better idea of what sort of miles those 60 have been.

The local dealer told me he has 2 2014s still in crates, but there's no price break on those.

#6 ·
I would bet the 60 miles were paved roads and parking lots around the dealer check the bottom skid plate and have them give a free service and valve check.

Reactions: fishguy
#7 ·
I wouldnt be afraid of it. Its probably been ran hard by a few but its no different than how some of us ride anyway. Some of the guys I used to ride with would buy a new bike and flog the piss out of it right out of the dealership parking lot and never have any issues with them

#9 ·
60 miles is nothing. I had to leave my 12GS overnite at a dealer 3 yrs ago and they gave me a brand new Triumph 800 with 6 miles on it to ride. I put 200 miles on it before I made it back to pick up my bike the next day.

#10 ·
Well guys, thanks (I think!) for nudging me in the right direction on this one!

Picked up my Triumph Tiger Explorer XC today from the local dealer! I have to say that my interaction with the Triumph dealer was a much easier time than I had with the big box dealer down the street. Hopefully the ownership experience proves to be enjoyable as well.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I still have plenty of room in the driveway for my TW, but if you know anyone who's in the market my KLR is now up for sale. I've had a love/hate relationship with my KLR for the 2 years I've owned it, but honestly for 13K miles it's been a pretty good bike if not exactly a great fit for my frame and uses. We've had some good times!

Anyway, I can't wait to get the Trump broken in so that I can really open up that big triple! I feel like the TW and the big Tiger will cover a broader spectrum of motorcycling than the TW and KLR, I guess I'll really find out in a month or so when I get to take a longer trip.

Thanks again for the reassurance guys!

Reactions: Mel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.