TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These guys seem more than a little nuts to pass on the shoulder at over 185mph (299kph) on public roads. I think for "safeties sake" the manufacturer limited speedo to 299kph but tac kept climbing once speedo was pegged at 299kph. With the right equipment in my youth I might have tried it once while knowing all along it was a very foolish thing to do. Not today. TW @ 55mph suits me fine.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hard to say to be honest. In my late teens I was convinced
I was immortal and couldn't break. It took me a long time to
understand that the throttle was not merely an on/off switch.
Now a daze, I traded in my R1200RT mainly because that bike demanded
to go faster n faster when I am preferring to go slower an slower

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That was a fun ride-along! I remember doing a bit of that back in the day on our scooters (Harleys) at a bit mellower pace though. do love the sound of that bike when it is building power. pretty high risk for everyone on the road around them.

·
Super Moderator
17,933 Posts
I admit I would have been tempted in my young age to open it up and see what it could do...

Not any more though...

Well, maybe...:D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've never smoked weed (or anything for that matter) but I could totally see how it could help the guy. Some people suffer from some pretty severe anxiety that can affect every decision. I've known people like that. Many of them could never even ride a motorcycle because they'd be worried about every little thing, and would be a danger to themselves. So if this helps smooth him out, he can better concentrate on his riding.

Now, as for the actual speed... wow, that's impressive. ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have before. ...well maybe not quite that fast. One of my friends, lived about a quarter mile away, took his head off while doing that on Kawa 900. Guy didn't see him coming and pulled out in front of him. Helmet strap took his head off.

We both raced dirt together. I beat him, he beat me. I pretty much road only dirt after that. Worst I ever saw on the dirt was a compound fracture.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Honestly I have open up most bikes I have owned at one point or another. Usually on long sections of empty highway in the country side were I know the roads well. Never on a shoulder and even my fastest two wheeled machine was only good for 230km/hr. Regardless I know it was reckless and unnessacary but one does nothing for them self by denying the truth.

My current road going machine (or any machine for that matter since learning I'm not so indestructible as I once believed) has not been opened up top speed wise ame I honestly don't rly care to. Though I will be taking the Victory out to the drag strip next summer for a few passes just to open it up a bit and have some fun.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That looks like the German Autobahn so the speed is not so much and issue. The driving on and off the shoulders might get you a ticket.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Got me a big Gixxer way back when. Used to street race cars and bikes.

We had a pretty good strip set up near a local airport (Westchester County Airport) back when the airport was more for private planes.
Flipped a coin for lane choice, got the left lane.

Had nylon straps holding the forks down on the Gixxer. Was racing a tricked out two stroke monster (I think it was an H2)

We took off and he had me from the starting line.
By the time I hit third, I was ahead, but I saw something up in the distance.. Paid it no mind, it was all happening too fast.
I am about 2 bikes and a half ahead of the other guy and I SENSE something at my shoulder, and I feel something push the bike, but I recover and begin to slow down.
Turns out, an airport van pulled out with no lights on and tipped the back of my bike.
The other guy was not so lucky. He saw the van and tried to veer right. Had too much speed. Drilled himself into the side of the van.
Inside of the van looked like a sausage factory exploded.

I didn't race there ever again.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I like watching the Ghost Rider Channel. Some guy in Sweden or Norway won't stop for police and always seems to get away. This was the first Ghost Rider video I watched. The quality gets way better in later ones.

·
Registered
20,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GhostRider is such as tease as he blows off the police.

But then it is all good until suddenly it is all bad...horribly bad

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Reply to 1st video. They'll end up like the bugs on my windshield, SPLAT.....!!! Hopefully not hurting or killing anyone but themselves. Growing up from a young age, racing and living on a race track, you know there's a time and place for this. Puplic roads are not the place. I have more respect for a pig's asshole than subhuman idiots like this. When they hit something at this speed, it would be a tragic loss of a motorcycle, not them. Sorry, but I have very strong feelings about this for very good reasons. End result, you can't fix stupid. Like the one above.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts