TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have only had my TW for about 5 days now and I've begun to notice a common question/ confusion about it with others.

When I first picked it up I sent some photos to my younger cousin who is into motorcycles and he immediately asked me if it really was Electric (due to the Electric sticker on the side plastics) I figured he was just being a goober and didn't think much of it after I explained it just meant electric start.

Yesterday I had 2 different people make the same comment. "Wow! An electric motorcycle thats awesome" Followed by my awkward electric start explanation.

Anyone else with the older Electric stickered TW's have these encounters?

Maybe I need to have a "NOT" sticker made up and place it in front of the electric decal lol...

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I have had the same experience but usually once I point out the spark plug with a quick explanation about how it means "electric starter" the topic is dropped.

I did have some bogus "ELECTRIC" stickers printed for a truer, more realistic picture of what a natural TW should look like.

Cut out with a sharp razor blade and covered with clear coat:
P2160001.JPG

Going from blue to yellow. See the real electric decal on the TW behind the yellow one?
P1070019.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Yet another reason to peel stickers off your motorcycle! :playful:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I think my 93 has them but it has rarely been spoken of. I ran my motorcycle on a lawnmower gas tank before. When gas was nearly $5.00 bucks a gallon I was tempted to run hoses with a bubbler and some blinking lights on a 5 gallon water bottle in place of the gas tank just to mess with people while running off the little lawn mower tank.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Different sticker for different times. Lots of other bikes had that sticker too shouting out "hey, I'm modern, not just a kick-starter". Seems pretty funny nowadays.
Keep the sticker. I think it's cool.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I'd tell these knuckleheads "YUP, it's electric and gets about 75 miles per gallon of gas after I push the Electric button"!

GaryL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol yeah definite sign of the times...

Interesting how 20 years ago the thought of an electric motorcycle would never have crossed anyones mind.

Definitely keeping all the stickers on the bike! One of the reasons I love mine with the 90's graphics!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think in the 80's Yamaha was sticking the same exact sticker on anything they put an electric starter on. My '88 Warrior 350 ATV has the same "Electric" stickers on it. And no kick starter, which I think really sucks on an ATV.

·
Registered
20,166 Posts
"Yep, one of them fancy 'lectric hybrids all right. I use that thar gas motor ya see to charge the battery. It can go quite a spell before needing a re-charge"

·
Registered
3,363 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
They are coming..... as are a transition from all vehicles currently powered by internal combustion engines....and really, the facts are that battery powered vehicles will eliminate all the noise related concerns ….unlike me....there are people who's only objection to motorized recreation is noise and that has resulted in both federal and local regulations and ordinances....and closures in wildlife and urban areas..

I suspect that the go kart industry will be among the first to transition ……

0038356-R1-17-7A.jpg

I love the sounds of racing.... of a high performance internal combustion engine....and the smell of burning money....

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have no particular negativity toward Electric motorcycles. That said, we TW owners seek to add the deleted kick starter after 2000 just in case our battery dies out in the boonies. On that same note, when your electric bike runs out of juice out in nowhere land they should incorporate into the design some sort of fold away pedal arrangement that is connected to a small electric generator. Put the bike on a center stand and just pedal for 15-20 minutes that will recharge the battery in the bike. Technology moves at lightning speeds but every one of us has been stranded at some time in our lives when a battery either got drained or fr no apparent reason it just quit and was dead for ever more. The last thing I will ever do is depend upon a battery.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts