TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will be wrenching on my TW this wknd for the 1st time. Haven't worked on a motorcycle in a long time, but pretty sure I've got all the tools I'll need. Basically will be going through the service manual and checking everything out / servicing per schedule. Will be heading to the 'big city' for a little shopping, any help on this list and what you'd recommend (or not, depending on what I've listed)?

1- Valve feeler gauges: can't find my old set gonna pick up a new set
2- Air filter oil: ???
3- Chain lube: ??? manual: "special o-ring chain lubricant"
4- Oil: I run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles, standard Mobil 1 10w30 should be good no?
5- Carb Cleaner: ??? manual:"Wash the carburetor in a petroleum based solvent. Do not use any caustic carburetor cleaning solution."

And anything else I may be missing...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Yup, Mobil 1 4T racing oil for motorcycles and 10w40 is fine.

Get the correct screw drivers for these bikes. The screws look like regular Phillips but are actually JIS, Japanese industrial standard. If you have a Fastenal store near by then ask for Cross point bits. You will quickly round out any hard screws if you use regular Phillips. The driver in the tool kit if you have one is the correct one but just junk.

If you get an oil filter make certain it has 4 holes around the O ring seal.

GaryL

·
Registered
470 Posts
Pick up some anti-seize compound while you're shopping. Use it on your oil drain plug and any other place where a fastener goes into aluminum.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts

·
Registered
8,356 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thats the stuff. Works great and the can can fit our entire carb.

GaryL

i've alwasy refrained from putting a whole carb in that stuff as i've heard it can much with rubber/plastic seals etc. great for dropping a basket of jets and other purely metal pieces in though.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
i've alwasy refrained from putting a whole carb in that stuff as i've heard it can much with rubber/plastic seals etc. great for dropping a basket of jets and other purely metal pieces in though.
Carbs should always be cleaned in a completely stripped condition, IE: All parts removed and just the metal stuff goes in the bucket.

GaryL

·
Registered
572 Posts
Diesel. Cheaper, just as good. Basically kerosene with detergents. Clean your chain with it too. Hell, you can dip the whole bike in it, except the seat, and brakes, and electrical's. Strain through a couple layers of dish cloth, and reuse over, and over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts