TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on this forum but I have been lurking on here ever since I got my Tdub about 18 months ago (2001 with 2500 miles on it now). I recently tuned up my bike for the spring (oil change, spark plugs, chain, etc) and took it for a quick ride up a local mountain to try out the new 55 tooth sprocket I put on. Not long into my ride I noticed a knocking sound that didn't sound right so I coasted it back to the bottom and took it home. After searching through the TW forums, I came across posts that reference the incorrect oil filter and sure enough I was given the one without the four holes. I put the right filter back on just long enough to verify that oil is making it to the head.

My question is what I should do from here. I took the old and new (incorrect) filter to the Yamaha shop I got it from and explained what happened. Even though this is infuriating to me, I resisted the urge to bounce the parts guy's head off the counter and he is being really cooperative. As a starting point he basically gave me a bunch of oil and told me to change the oil a bunch of times to get any metal shavings out of the case and let him know what I found. I have changed out the oil 3 times and there was definitely some really fine metallic "powder" on the filter and in the bottom of the filter housing the 1st two times , with none coming out of the drain plug. After letting the bike cool overnight I also removed the valve covers and everything looked good up there (no metal shavings, good valve clearance, etc). The bike still seems to run good but I am not sure how I should handle it with the shop. I have consulted a few knowledgeable people about it and have gotten responses ranging from "it's probably fine" to "they owe you a rebuild". One thing I am worried about is bringing the bike in, they say nothing's wrong with it, then the engine seizes and strands me somewhere during the summer or (even worse) elk season this fall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I absolutely love this little bike and have been sick about it all weekend.

·
Super Moderator
18,384 Posts
Insist that their mistake has caused damage and have them make it right. Even running it for a little while has damaged it. Just because it didn't seize up doesn't mean it didn't hurt it. They know they messed up and it will take mileage out of the motor due to wear without oil flow. I personally would want them to rebuild it.
Don't mess around with them, insist on it right away, even if it means contacting Yamaha.

Their mistake.
Their fix.
You want it right.

And you deserve piece of mind, knowing that your bike will be dependable just like it was before they gave you the wrong part.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
This whole oil filter mix-up started mid to late 2008

Your shop can still use the excuse that you failed to follow the oil change directions as outlined the manual. Skipping loosening the oil bolt on the head to verify oil flow has killed many a tw motor. I'd worry about the socket the cam rides in since our engines don't have a cam bearing. It's been discussed in the last few wrong filter threads. Without oil flow our engines seem to have a horrible death between 15-25 miles.

This is what your cam rides in instead of a bearing. Usually the TW death squeal starts here.

003.jpg

Other items that may have been damaged
dagats10.jpg

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I'm sorry but a lot of negative energy and curse words and are going through my head right now that I'd like to direct Yamaha's way, but I'll keep those details to myself for now... I just can't believe Yamaha still hasn't fixed this stupid problem! It has been happening for YEARS, SEVERAL YEARS. And I KNOW they KNOW about it, because I KNOW people in the past have already CALLED them and TOLD THEM about this problem in the past! And yet here we sit, in 2014, and they still have done nothing to remedy this disgusting situation! Sorry for my rant but this hits a nerve with me as my TW was ruined by a dealer who used the wrong filter (long since out of business due to their gross professional and mechanical incompetency...). I'm about ready to seriously suggest a group of people from this forum (I know several have been affected) slap a big fat class-action in Yamaha's stupid face on this one. Sigh. I filed a small claims court case against the dealer who did the oil change on mine. That didn't turn out too well. But it could potentially for you since you probably handled the issue better than I did from the get-go. By the way it's probably not the parts guy's fault; the problem, at least in many cases, is that Yamaha packages some two stroke oil filter in the box labeled for the TW200...so the parts guy likely ordered you the correct part and it looked right, but the wrong filter was in the box. I'd probably suggest calling and/or writing a letter directly to Yamaha (keep copies of everything, and send everything via USPS certified mail only) before you go back to the dealer again. Be sure to explain to them that you know this has been an ongoing problem for many years and that you know they are well aware of it, and that they have been well aware of it for several years. Be very firm with them and yet remain courteous and professional (to the best of your ability, of course...try not to cuss them out, for example). You might want to give it some more time and try to find some other of those people from this forum that have been affected by this problem (maybe try a post on ADVrider as well), before contacting Yamaha. That way you'll have more first-hand knowledge of the scope of the problem (a big problem that Yamaha damn well has no excuse to have still not taken care of!), how many have been affected, if a class-action could be done, etc. etc. A big pain in the ass, I know (been there). While your bike might be okay for now, I definitely agree that at the very least, the use of the incorrect filter has caused significant wear on your engine. Good luck. I'd be glad to help and/or happily participate in a class-action law suit if anyone has the knowledge, time, and drive to get one going. Sorry for your misfortune!

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Look at where the rocker arm rides on the high part of the cam lobe. If that looks good you are probably OK. If that is bad then you will at least need a new cam shaft and rocker arms.

From the way you described shutting it off as soon as it started making noise I would bet that the cam / rocker damage is the only damage you will find, if indeed it is damaged. And as long as you don't drop the cam chain down into the crankcase or have the chain slip off the lower sprocket it is a fairly easy fix.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
It sounds like the parts guy at the dealer knew exactly what happened since they gave you free oil and apologized. I would demand a complete rebuild and settle for nothing less.

·
Super Moderator
1,925 Posts
It sounds like the parts guy at the dealer knew exactly what happened since they gave you free oil and apologized. I would demand a complete rebuild and settle for nothing less.
YEP what he said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really appreciate all the feedback on this, it pretty much confirms what I've been thinking. I'll definitely be back to the shop to demand they make it right. Who knows what happens from there but there is no doubt they are at fault. The guy knew instantly what had happened and that he was f-ed up when I showed him. He admitted that he just grabbed the wrong box from the drawer. I am still pissed for not catching it right away though. The oil filter has been so clean I haven't needed to buy a new one since I first got the bike so I completely spaced checking the oil flow at the heads or to watch out for the wrong filter. Come what may, this will definitely serve as a good lesson in the school of hard knocks (literally in this case).

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Oh wow.

I really appreciate all the feedback on this, it pretty much confirms what I've been thinking. I'll definitely be back to the shop to demand they make it right. Who knows what happens from there but there is no doubt they are at fault. The guy knew instantly what had happened and that he was f-ed up when I showed him. He admitted that he just grabbed the wrong box from the drawer. I am still pissed for not catching it right away though. The oil filter has been so clean I haven't needed to buy a new one since I first got the bike so I completely spaced checking the oil flow at the heads or to watch out for the wrong filter. Come what may, this will definitely serve as a good lesson in the school of hard knocks (literally in this case).
Ok well I thought this was another case of the famous mislabeled Yamaha filter box. I guess I'm a bit relieved that it's not. If the parts guy knew he had given you the wrong part, then definitely go make them rebuild your motor. If they won't play ball, THEN call Yamaha and tell them their dealer isn't fixing its screw up. I guess I feel bad for the parts guy now; that could cost him his job. Regardless, it must be made right. Good luck and let us know what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts