TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Mike's right. I'm 210, and the red spring is very firm. I routinely load the bike heavily so it works well for me, but it would be too stiff for just day rides.

That spring was spec'd by Mr Bracket, and he's a big boy.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I will say, one of the best improvements you can make to the bikes suspension, is to either replace the front fork oil, with better weight oil, AND....bring it up to the correct height, which for you and I would be 125mm from the top..........................OR.....................do as I finally did, and replace the front springs/spacers, with the ProCycle 70kgmm front springs, with new oil, at the right height.

That made a world of difference.
And if you really want to have the ultimate in tuneability, add the Gold Valve cartridge emulators! :D I know a guy who'll give you a deal on them!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Here is something to try....Take your shock off the bike, measure the installed spring length. Write it down in your notes next to your jetting notes! Now remove your spring and note which position (of 3) the retaining ring is located. Add this info to your notes as well. I would suggest increasing preload by 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. If you like it stiff!....use 3/8. If this can be accomplished with the retainer/grooves great, other wise fab a spacer to do this. Coil bind is not an issue. This is all you need. I weigh over 200 lbs and ride fairly aggressively and I only bottom out the rear if I decide to get too much air. Which means more than 2 feet off the ground. Both end run thru travel too fast but the rear is the worst of the two.

I have made the same basic suggestions for the front springs as well. As far as I know no one else has even tried this....If you have more dollars than sense.....

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I put the red spring in and found it held the back of my bike too high and made the seat angle hard on my back. it was great for 2 up, but I don't do that very often. I finally lowered the retaining clip on the shock to the lowest setting and that lowered the seat just about enough and the red spring still gives me enough strength for 2 up riding. it rides all most like a Cadillac now ( not that I like anything but ford)

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
I am 205lb. Add gear and such I am looking for the upgrade. Anyone have the procycle 19kgmm sping they are not longer using? Figured I'd check here 1st before placing the order
EWB because you backed away from ordering a new different spring I'll offer you another option for a stiffer rear shock. In the photo below, I moved the wire spring retainer from the middle groove to the top groove. This has made it ride stiffer. Originally I had also added a spacer approximately 3/4" thick I fabricated from a blue plastic 15 gallon barrel. Later I swapped this shock from my 2005 TW to the 2015. At the time of the swap I either removed the blue spacer or lowered the wire spring retainer back to the middle groove. I can't remember which without looking.

My point is, if you go this cheaper route, experiment and only do 1 of these adjustments at a time, not both like I did. Moving the wire spring retainer up a groove would be quicker. If you move the wire spring retainer to the lowest groove this should soften and may even lower the rear end some but I haven't done that so I don't know for fact only what our past forum member lizrdbrth mentioned way back when.

Just be aware if you were to go this route you have to remove the spring from the shock. Even if you bought and installed one of the springs from Procycle you would still have to remove the spring. I'm not suggesting you use what I did to remove the spring (ratchet straps) but the way I rigged the ratchet straps the only danger was the spring/shock falling over. The straps held the spring from rocket launching anywhere. You need to remove the spring retaining plate at the top of the spring in order to remove the spring which is why you need to compress the shock spring. You will have to put the spring retainer plate back on once you place the spring back over the shock.

I have been pleased with this setup over the stock setup. The stock setup is way to soft for by body size. Good luck with whatever direction you decide.

·
Super Moderator
17,930 Posts
Here is something to try....Take your shock off the bike, measure the installed spring length. Write it down in your notes next to your jetting notes! Now remove your spring and note which position (of 3) the retaining ring is located. Add this info to your notes as well. I would suggest increasing preload by 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. If you like it stiff!....use 3/8. If this can be accomplished with the retainer/grooves great, other wise fab a spacer to do this. Coil bind is not an issue. This is all you need. I weigh over 200 lbs and ride fairly aggressively and I only bottom out the rear if I decide to get too much air. Which means more than 2 feet off the ground. Both end run thru travel too fast but the rear is the worst of the two.

I have made the same basic suggestions for the front springs as well. As far as I know no one else has even tried this....If you have more dollars than sense.....
That is what I did the first time, but I am a big big boy and eventually went with the heaviest spring Procycle made for the rear and also new springs and new oil and adjustments of the front forks. Then and only then did my TW feel like a real motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
it rides all most like a Cadillac now ( not that I like anything but ford)
When we had to ride two up out of Death Valley, that's exactly what Mrs Trip said about my bike. Up until that point, she thought getting bounced around like a paint shaker was normal. That's when I had to upgrade HER suspension as well!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
That is what I did the first time, but I am a big big boy and eventually went with the heaviest spring Procycle made for the rear and also new springs and new oil and adjustments of the front forks. Then and only then did my TW feel like a real motorcycle.
How big we talking here? I am about 220 with gear....although we weighed my bike against a stocker and a TTR 230 the other day. All with about .5 gallon fuel...8lbs lighter than the ttr and 33 lbs lighter than the TW!

·
Super Moderator
17,930 Posts
How big we talking here? I am about 220 with gear....although we weighed my bike against a stocker and a TTR 230 the other day. All with about .5 gallon fuel...8lbs lighter than the ttr and 33 lbs lighter than the TW!
Bro, it helped some; quite a bit actually. I tried to make it work best I could, but it just wasn't perfect so I continued to go forward with the project. I was about 350 or so at that time and am now 295. I am in one of those dreaded times now where I had to make a decision and that was "live or die", so I'm working on it as feverishly as I can. With taking the time to properly set up the preload and adjusting and changing the front and rear springs along with the correct amount of oil for me...it felt like a real bike. I love the way if feels now. Lizrdbrth had some very good notes on doing this and I suggest you follow them closely. They can be found in the Technical Help section under the Sub-Forum listed as Technical Write-Ups. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm pretty sure the white spring is still heavier than stock, just not as heavy as the red, at least mine is. I think stock is either 12 or 13 kgmm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did ask them directly...face to face, and they told me just as I reported above.

White spring = 15 kgmm

Yellow spring = 17 kgmm

Red spring = 19 kgmm

And they specifically old me that the White spring is a lighter duty spring than the OEM Yellow spring.
All I know is my white spring doesn't bottom like the yellow one did, not even close.

·
Super Moderator
17,930 Posts
This is simply a typo error by LT. He meant to say he is now 295 lbs......not 195 lbs.

He was just testing me to see if I was paying attention, and could "subtract" that much weight from his body. :eek:
Whoops...thanks, I'll fix that.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Bro, it helped some; quite a bit actually. I tried to make it work best I could, but it just wasn't perfect so I continued to go forward with the project. I was about 350 or so at that time and am now 295. I am in one of those dreaded times now where I had to make a decision and that was "live or die", so I'm working on it as feverishly as I can. With taking the time to properly set up the preload and adjusting and changing the front and rear springs along with the correct amount of oil for me...it felt like a real bike. I love the way if feels now. Lizrdbrth had some very good notes on doing this and I suggest you follow them closely. They can be found in the Technical Help section under the Sub-Forum listed as Technical Write-Ups. Hope this helps.
nice going LT, keep up the good work!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts