TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good working CDI for a '91 TW200 -- 89-99 should work. Let me know what you've got, they're backordered at yamaha and we're trying to get a summer's-end trip going on: not gonna get there at the current rate!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
To the top.......

Every time I check with Yamaha the date they come off backorder gets pushed back a month. You can't even get this shit from Yamaha anymore, folks.

PAYING WELL FOR 90s CDI

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
OK somebody, "help a brother out" --

Why can I almost build an entire TW200 from bikes being parted out on ebay, but nobody, and I mean NOBODY has a CDI for sale??

People on this forum say that the "middle generation" TWs have no problems with CDI units, but based on the literally non-existant market for these things, I might have to disagree on an anecdotal basis alone.

I put the tank from my TW200 on my XS650 to get it going, maybe the rest of it should just be parted out

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
IIRC, the CDI was changed to the newer version in like 88 or 89? If a 2007 CDI will work on your bike ( I don't remember), I might sell you mine.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
IIRC, the CDI was changed to the newer version in like 88 or 89? If a 2007 CDI will work on your bike ( I don't remember), I might sell you mine.

Unfortunately I need a 1988-1997 CDI, but certainly appreciate the offer.

NOW, if you are willing to sell me the wiring harness, engine cover, stator, and CDI, all for a decent price... LET'S TALK

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah.. sounds like a detailed write-up on the conversion process wouldn't be a bad idea. From the looks of ebay, this thread, and what I've heard in the past: the late 80s/early 90s CDIs are going out slowly now, and obviously they're not easy to get ahold of.. either a lot of parts bikes in the near future, or ???

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I've written it up numerous times. I reckon it's time to do a rewrite with circles and arrows and full-colored glossy photographs and a paragraph on the back of each one.....

Sometimes I channel Arlo. Nervous tic. Sorry.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm all for circles and arrows, but I suspect if its already there, it can be dug up easily enough.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I edited a post in the CDI thread in general discussion last night, but will pose the question again here...

Why does one need the whole kit-and-kaboodle from a newer bike to use the newer CDI? Are the input signals different, or is it just because of lighting circuits and whatnot? bangkokbok had his running with like 3 wires on a damn kawasaki cdi... will be doing more research on this, I suppose

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
2 reasons, actually. These don't apply to persons with your background, recomended for best success for the newbie. First, there are two levels of swaps. Swapping the '88-'00 onto an '87 system is the simplest. The majority of the connectors and components are the same and the circuits similar enough that even those unfamiliar with electricity could be talked through it if things went wrong.. Lots of folks don't quite grasp things electrical enough to mod/make their own harness. The swap is plug and play with the correct harness guarantying success for the electrically-challenged.

The post-'01 system is completely different, and almost none of the connectors will match any of the existing components on the early bikes. They even have different clutch and brake perches, drilled for a different sized safety and brake switch. Recently one of members who is an electrical engineer spent 12 hours modifying the harness alone. Components are in different locations. This is a pin pusher and soldering iron situation which will leave the electrically challenged with permanently crossed eyes and a parked bike.

I've done both, and even reversed the process. When I recomend something be done a certain way it's not that MY way is the best way, it's usually because I've looked at the problem from the point of view of the overall skillsets of our members. In general, things electrical are among understood, even among lifers. The same guy who can build a megamotor will often freak if a turn signal quits working. Without the "kit and kaboodle" the project is doomed to failure, whereas with a parts bike or virtually all the newer components it's plug-and-play.

The second reason is cost. Buying thse parts individually could add up to more than the bike is worth, which is why I recomend holding out for a parts bike. None of the wrecks I've bought have cost much more than a single CDI unit.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The connectors and even wire colors are different on the "new" vs. "old" -- are the stators and pickup coils actually different as well, I wonder? It stands to reason that they might be... Mostly just because it would seem odd to make a new part but only change the connectors and stuff. Maybe their only intent was to remove the "external wires" coming out of the CDI, and make it an actual connector like the '01+ stuff, in order to prevent possible failure points? Are the windings physically different with regards to wire size or number of coils? If they are not, why can the "old" harness not be used with the "new" CDI with some wiring changes?

All speculation, but that does not mean that I do not still seek the answers to these questions

Does the entirety of the wiring harness NEED to be changed? The clutch switch and brake switch are a different size... Do they interface differently with the CDI?

Cannot remember which thread the 12hr harness conversion was in, but do remember reading it. Unfortunately do not remember the reasons as to why the conversion was undertaken.

Don't take this as me doubting you, lizrdbrth... It is understood that you have spent many, many more hours than I have just looking at things, taking them apart, working on them, and thinking them through. My stance in this is almost purely reactionary as a result of my problem, and it is only with the help of the forum that I have managed to occasionally step back and think things through with a bit more clarity and forethought

88-00 = Green, White, Brown, Red from magneto -> cdi

'01+ = w/r, w/l, b/r, g/w from magneto -> cdi

-- Which is which, and are the signals from magneto(stator?)->cdi the same for both...?

(Now I will need to link to this thread in the other CDI thread or something
)

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/to...366__hl__conversion__fromsearch__1#entry21366

Late models have a 3phase stator.

It's not just the CDI that has different connectors. For all practical purposes ALL the connectors are differnt configurations, different number of pin-outs, or swapped genders vs. the older stuff. Some simple items such as the clutch safety swith would require cutting and converting to the old style end, for example.

Not insurmountable, but if you don't read or speak heoroglyphics you might be skrewt. Johanjos is the first to tackle it as far as I know.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The hard parts are different as well. The side cover castings look alike externally but will not accept the parts from early bikes and vice versa. 3 systems, 3 stators, 3 rotors and 3 sidecovers.

Honestly I can't recall all the little details, and don't give me credit for being smart. I got skrewt on a couple of '87's when I first got into TW's, some parts bikes fell into my lap and things went from there. I swapped one to the '88-'00 system, then I started converting one to the '01+ system from pieces and making my own harness when a wrecked '03 came my way. I tossed my custom harness mid'construction, Two hours later, having everything I needed, my bike was done. Not only that, it also provided me with the makings of my disc front end, an extra set of wheels, a swingarm to lengthen, a motor to build a stroker from and a ton of parts to keep for future modifications or for sale.

The night before one of JS5owner's semi-annual bashes that converted motor blew up on me. Two hours later I had a spare '87 motor, wiring harness and a complete '88-'00 CDI and charging system in the bike and rode off to Jeff's the next morning. I've since done a couple more and it's that easy once you've done it. Not so much if done piecemeal.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Pretty sure I will just swap in my bored&rebuilt blaster motor before converting to an even older and more failure prone setup

Let me know if you have time to test the CDI I have been messing with, though

1 - 20 of 21 Posts