TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have a 1989 TW200.

I was wondering if anybody on here has a nice (good amount of tread left) used rear knobby tire for sale?

I'm located in Ohio.

thanks!

I appreciate it.

-twbeagle :)

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Be very careful here. Tire rubber is a funny substance. As it ages it becomes hardened an no longer has the traction grip that is absolutely necessary on pavement. I know this because my 1991 TW came with just 671 miles on it and the tires were just like new because the bike was only ridden around an RV camp ground on sunny days. Members here advised me to buy new tires immediately if I planned to do any pavement riding. I heard what they said but didn't do it right off, just drove very carefully on the roads and I am glad I did. The front tires on the TW are not the best to begin with but the rear is pretty decent. After just a few road trips it became very scary with the old and hard rubber. I replaced both tires with a new Bridgestone on the rear and a Shinko GB 5.10 on the front. Worlds of difference could be felt immediately. I have both of the take off tires still in near perfect condition tread wise but they are only good for studding for winter fun type riding. I would not give them to a member here unless they were to be used for studding only. I would not want an injury caused by old rubber weighing on my shoulders and I highly recommend you do not try to save some pennies at the expense of your safety.

GaryL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks GaryL. I hear you. my '89 has the original tires....and yes, I was worried about them. I will be doing 50-70% of my riding on pavement. I thought about used and saving a few bucks, but after reading your post and warnings from other people on other sites, I decided to bite the bullet and order brand new bridgestones (tw31 AND tw34) today.

you are right. safety is more important than saving a couple hundred dollars. it all works out in the long run.

thanks for your post!!

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I am sure the rear was less than a hundred and think the front Shinko was under $60. On road or off I would not go with the front stock tire but that is your choice.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Do yourself a favor and cancel the TW31 if you can, there are better choices for on and especially off road.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Gary - What's a good site to buy TW tires? Thanks!
Rocky mountain is pretty steady with prices. Just watch where you buy from, some quote prices including shipping and others play the BS games and make a small fortune on shipping. Some have decent prices with shipping but they don't have any parts in stock so it takes three weeks to get it. We are in a big crap shoot with our TWs. The very best price is often a very bad joke and some vendors don't give a crap about you. Always ask if the part is in stock and ready to ship before you buy.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
After checking online prices you may wish to compare totals with a local motorcycle tire shop as they may include free mounting saving you untold hassle. Your old rear tire will be stiff and difficult at best to remove. You should be able to do the front yourself and that will be satisfying. It would be wise to order new tubes too if you can afford it now, otherwise 25 year old tubes might fail later causing grief. When I shopped for a new rear and found a local shop installing for free I said "Sold". Later when I had them dismount and try to put on an ATV tire they wanted $25 for the labor.
Irregardless of what you get you should be very pleased and much safer with new tires.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I bought my front tire from Bike Bandit spend $100 and it free shipping. Check them out!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi again guys.

well, that is good to know about the front, but maybe too late. I just thought putting the original tire brand and sizes was a good move. and no, the cheapest I could find for a trailwing 34 was 108 bucks, and the cheapest for the trailwing 31 was 72 dollars. (and that was out of Chapparal Motorsports in San Bernadino, CA. an Amazon.com vendor) my local shop will mount them for 25 a piece. so a little over 230 dollars total to have new tires for me here in Ohio. I did not know about the Shinko as I'm new to the tw200. just got it this week. I'll post pics soon.
I appreciate all the replies and advice.

cheers!!!
-twbeagle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, I'm going to go ahead and get the new tubes too. it makes sense that they are just as expired as the tires. looks like about 20-25 bucks a piece at chapparal motor sports and bike bandit. the sizes of 180/80-14 and 130/80-18 are always the expensive ones.....because I see that regular motorcycle tubes can be as low as 7 dollars. man, these tw fat tires are expensive!!!!

does anyone know of a cheaper tube for the sizes I mentioned above. or the original tw200 tire tube sizes for front and rear....or is 20-25 dollars the general norm?

thanks again.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
hi again guys.

well, that is good to know about the front, but maybe too late. I just thought putting the original tire brand and sizes was a good move. and no, the cheapest I could find for a trailwing 34 was 108 bucks, and the cheapest for the trailwing 31 was 72 dollars. (and that was out of Chapparal Motorsports in San Bernadino, CA. an Amazon.com vendor) my local shop will mount them for 25 a piece. so a little over 230 dollars total to have new tires for me here in Ohio. I did not know about the Shinko as I'm new to the tw200. just got it this week. I'll post pics soon.
I appreciate all the replies and advice.

cheers!!!
-twbeagle
Even if you have to pay shipping to return the TW31, it's in your best interest. he shinko is a little cheaper anyway, it'll be a wash in the end for a much better tire.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Even if you have to pay shipping to return the TW31, it's in your best interest. he shinko is a little cheaper anyway, it'll be a wash in the end for a much better tire.
Such a true statement... The TW31 got the nickname "deathwing" for a reason. They just are not very good at all.

You can get a Shinko 244 in the 5.10 size for 58 bucks from Rocky Mountain ATV. The 244 while it looks knobbier than the TW31 its superior to it in every way both on and off road.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
yeah, I'm going to go ahead and get the new tubes too. it makes sense that they are just as expired as the tires. looks like about 20-25 bucks a piece at chapparal motor sports and bike bandit. the sizes of 180/80-14 and 130/80-18 are always the expensive ones.....because I see that regular motorcycle tubes can be as low as 7 dollars. man, these tw fat tires are expensive!!!!

does anyone know of a cheaper tube for the sizes I mentioned above. or the original tw200 tire tube sizes for front and rear....or is 20-25 dollars the general norm?

thanks again.
For the front just get a tube used for the rear of a "normal" dirt bike.
I believe mine is a 3.5 to 4.5- but it is ok to use in a 5.1. My dealer double checked- then said narrower is better so pinching the tube is less of a problem. I might still have the box I think it was 14 $. Rear from dealer was 35 ish. My rear was around 100 front GB was around 70.
I added a pic the size I was wrong on its 4.00/4.50.
I posted this at end of thread too

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...so a Shinko 244 in 5.10 - 18? right? it just grips the road better? thanks for advice, guys. much appreciated.

curious: does the new TW's still come with the TW31 for the front tire? wonder if Yamaha knows this.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yes 5.10 -18 is pretty close to the factory size, a little bigger but not by much.

To answer the why its better question. Yes, grip is much improved both on and off road and the Shinko also runs much quieter, smoother and it tracks better. I personally found the factory tire unpredictable on pavement especially when you leaned it over in a corner. With the Shinko that unpredictability goes away. I have the Shinko 244 on both of mine on the front and have been very happy with them.

Yes the TW does still come with the DW31 tire on the front. I have no idea why they have not changed it over the years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts