TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 owner 89 TW that is untouched. Bought the bike with 654 miles on it for a 88yr old gentleman. I was loading the bike in my truck and the ramp slide out. The Damage was a dented tank and a bent clutch lever. I would love a replacement, and I have thought about an upgrade. Any info would be great. Thanks

My dad and his sister.

Dad and Mom with the dog(Maddy)

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
i think the only blue tanks that are available are the 2006, otherwise you are looking at used. Good luck finding an 89 Faraway Blue tank in any condition, the best one in existence was probably on your bike before it slid off the ramp.

PS: Don't lose or damage those Robin Blue plastics, those are also discontinued (only came on 1989 model)

In short, that whole bike is a collectors Item, your best bet is to replace all the plastics with white, get a white tank and black seat, then put all the original Blue pieces in storage.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
There was a guy on Craigslist in Mesa AZ selling a blue old style TW tank (new OEM) for $200 as I recall it was listed for a few years (literally) not sure if it's still on there

He also had it listed on eBay

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
To get an idea of what your bike might look like with a XT350 tank on it take a look at "The Parts Bike".

P3171285.JPG

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Too bad about damage to mint '89. Cute pic of happy pappy and crew.
Maybe possible for auto body shop to fix dent and repaint if necessary, or paint any other year TW's tank to suit. Decals might be hard to find.
New parents might be hard to find too,make 'em wear helmets before a spill...and maybe doggles for Maddy.;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for great info. the tank isn't bad just not perfect. All the pictures are with the dented tank. as for replacing the plastics. I agree.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
So how badly is the tank dented? Pictures please. It is always sad when you do a dummy and put a cosmetic blemish on an otherwise gorgeous bike. Some dents can be repaired pretty easily and then you have to consider it is a TW and if you are having fun on it it will go down a time or ten! I bet the engine won't give a hoot about the dent in the tank and not many of us give much of a hoot about it either. New tanks are ridiculously pricy and used ones are right up there too if you can even find your color with no dents.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Very nice bike and I can see why you want to get the tank fixed. That is a nasty dent for sure but a good body guy could fix it right up and do the paint pretty close. Not too sure the decals could be found though.

A Rainbow Warrior 1995 tank would go well with your colors I think. I have one here that is brand new but has a dent on the front top just forward of the gas cap. Damaged by the dealer while un-crating the bike.

Hope you can find one but doubtful it would be in as clean condition.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
It is still an excellent example of a very nice atractive model year. If it is not offending anyones sensitivities just go ahead and ride it as is while trying to not look at dent.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Check with Mel in this section. Looks like he has a couple from Russ's (Lizrdbrth) collection going up for sale soon. Keep in mind it might be hard to find one in as shiny a state as the one you have.

GaryL

·
Registered
567 Posts
That is/was probably the nicest 89' in existence, I cringe when is see things of a pristine vintage nature get ruined.
I believe those tank decals are NLA. I'd take all the plastics off and throw on used white ones, then I'd get a Clarke or used tank. I'd also NEVER take that thing off road as everything is still like showroom, so street only. I'd try and find a graphics shop that might still be able to get good scans of the tank decals, in case you ever want to repair and repaint that one, or another used tank

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
That is/was probably the nicest 89' in existence, I cringe when is see things of a pristine vintage nature get ruined.
I believe those tank decals are NLA. I'd take all the plastics off and throw on used white ones, then I'd get a Clarke or used tank. I'd also NEVER take that thing off road as everything is still like showroom, so street only. I'd try and find a graphics shop that might still be able to get good scans of the tank decals, in case you ever want to repair and repaint that one, or another used tank
I know exactly how he feels after dropping an otherwise gorgeous bike. Here is my 1991 that still has under 900 miles on it and don't like to take it anywhere that I could damage it.

GaryL

·
Registered
47 Posts
These bikes will take a lot of USE (note: not abuse) and still clean up well. Use it and enjoy it to your liking, Dietz. Just my opinion. These bikes no matter what vintage are meant to be enjoyed by however the owner chooses. If you choose to pamper it, fine. If you choose to flog it in water crossings, deep mud and the like, hope you have waders on! Ride safe and keep that smile on your face.

Leave the original tank on there dent and all. (unless you go with a clarke) another one just wont be the same no matter what. You will get used to it. All unsolicited opinions from me, I know!

·
Registered
567 Posts
That's all fine and well, if you are the owner, you can burn it on bonfire for all I care, but there are certain early models with color combos that are becoming extremely rare, complete with the correct graphics, as like sold off the showroom. It is already no longer possible to build one of these from the Yamaha parts bin. It would be nice to preserve the best examples if someone has a heart for it, for we are never truly owners, but mere caretakers. From the OP it sounds like that is what this person was after (finding the correct 89 tank), and keeping it as nice and original as possible.

On the other hand there are hundreds of thousand white TW's that anyone can buy to their hearts content and thrash away all they want. It's not like Yamaha is going to stop selling "white" TW parts anytime in the near future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just took that tank off my bike. It is full of old fuel gunk inside though. I think it is in pretty good shape otherwise one scratch or two, and the left side decal has a quarter size blemish. P5300006.JPG P5300007.JPG

·
Registered
567 Posts
The insides can be dealt with if rust isn't too bad a problem. The blemish is a bummer, but this is probably the best you'll find after 25 years. Might be able to touch that up with an artist brush and the right colors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts