TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing you put the key into.

Anybody have a working switch with a key that they wanna part with? Looks like different model years have different part numbers, but I’m assuming I could get any year to work even if the plastic connectors aren’t a match. I’ll do the hotwire trick and hide a power switch before I spend $85 to $125 bucks on a bike I’m not yet sure I can get running (old gas - luckily no rust). If someone has one they don’t need I’d rather pay a member than partzilla. PM if you do. Thanks and cheers

The tumblers for the gas cap and helmet lock still work, but those tumblers seem to be a smaller size otherwise I’d try to swap the helmet lock.

I’d welcome any other cheapo ideas.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Fred. I got it to work with a silicone spray down and more force than I wanted to give. Let me know if you find something. I wanna make sure when I eventually try to start it the key and ignition aren’t going to hold me back.

Edit - it’s not the steering lock as much as the switch the key goes in. The Yamaha part is called Main Switch Steering Lock - kinda confusing. #32 in the attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a ignition switch and gas cap combo off of eBay for about $35. It is for the newer model years so the connectors are different than the earlier years, however, if you remove the two screw from the bottom of the assembly, you can switch over the switch portion on the lock bases so your connectors match up. Or you can wire it directly. The gas caps are different sizes from the early years to the newer. I have a 95 TW but I will be using a tank from a 2006 so this new cap will work for me. This combo are sold and shipped from over seas (Japan or Hong Kong) but it only took about 2 weeks for them to arrive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts