TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a complete engine or bike with complete engine for a good price. It can have high miles and low compression but no serious damage.

I want to completely tear a motor down and rebuild it without having to lose the use of mine... I want to take my time and search out alternative parts in hopes of better performance.

If you've got anything that is rebuild-able let me know. My bike is a 1994, so if you have around that era that's even better..

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I wish you luck, I've been on the prowl for a spare engine for awhile. They are either complete poo, an 1987/88 or way overpriced. I could buy a clean mid 70's trail 90 for what some engines are going for.

·
Registered
215 Posts
From what I understand the electrical differences are the main issue. Not only are they rare and difficult to replace ( though some have been able to repair them) it sounds as if these CDIs were also pretty flakey and died more often then was acceptable. It is also possible to convert the 87 to a newer CDI I believe.

I don't have experience with anything prior to 2001, this is just impressions I have gathered from reading just about any thread I can find on here.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it would be fine for me then. I just want to rebuild the engine and do some performance mods while being able to keep using my current engine. When done, I can just put my electrical system on the other engine and install into my frame.. I assume??

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a complete engine or bike with complete engine for a good price. It can have high miles and low compression but no serious damage.

I want to completely tear a motor down and rebuild it without having to lose the use of mine... I want to take my time and search out alternative parts in hopes of better performance.

If you've got anything that is rebuild-able let me know. My bike is a 1994, so if you have around that era that's even better..

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
139 Posts
At about 8000 miles the PO laid my 89 over in muddy water. We washed the cylinder out with a can of starting fluid, but in a couple of weeks it slowly started to smoke. He found another bike and put in the motor, but I bought it with the bike as a spare, and the tranny. I always thought it would be a good back-up. Every so often I turn it over and it make sure its well lubed. I never pulled the head or got into the crankcase. I robbed the stator and right side cover and a few cover screws, but I still have the kick-starter, which would be optional. I would consider discussing selling it, since I am not doing the mods to it I once considered.

Talk to me. -GB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts