TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have seen a CL WTB add that might be yours. It says something like wanting a low mile, super condition bike with no dents or scratches and ready to ride. I get a chuckle every time I check these WTB adds. It is certainly a noble search and there are a few such "Garage Queen" bikes hiding out here in the deep woods but when you add a price limit of $2,000 to this mix I think you could be barking at the moon.

A new TW can be had for somewhere right around $4,000 out the door. One that is almost new and in 10 out of 10 condition with just a few hundred easy miles on it should easily be a great deal at around $3,000 but you could make a super deal and almost find one you could be stealing for far less. Getting the word out that you are searching and being ready to roll with cash in hand is the real key to such great deals. Being "Quick" on the draw and having the ability to make a rapid decision is imperative and you could be running on a wild goose chase in a lot of the search.

Do not discount older TWs! IMHO a 1990 is just as valuable as a 2010 in the same outstanding condition. You have to take in to account the need to replace old tires and some carb and fuel system issues but there is nothing that would hold me back when a real pretty older bike crosses my path.
Things to watch for and keep in mind when looking at pre owned older TWs are parts availability. We know that plastics are interchangeable in almost all cases but colors can be a real problem. If you need turquoise plastics or a certain color tank you might have a real hard time finding these parts in outstanding condition and they are not available from the dealers at any price. Finding a near perfect 88, 90 or 91 tank is near impossible but black and white plastics are pretty easy. I love the odd colored tanks and plastics of some of the past years but they sure could be a big problem if you ever need to replace them. I am not overly fond of the basic white bikes but they do have some advantages in the long run.

Good luck in your search and be sure to check out the thread showing all the bikes and colors throughout the years.

GaryL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen a CL WTB add that might be yours. It says something like wanting a low mile, super condition bike with no dents or scratches and ready to ride. I get a chuckle every time I check these WTB adds. It is certainly a noble search and there are a few such "Garage Queen" bikes hiding out here in the deep woods but when you add a price limit of $2,000 to this mix I think you could be barking at the moon.

A new TW can be had for somewhere right around $4,000 out the door. One that is almost new and in 10 out of 10 condition with just a few hundred easy miles on it should easily be a great deal at around $3,000 but you could make a super deal and almost find one you could be stealing for far less. Getting the word out that you are searching and being ready to roll with cash in hand is the real key to such great deals. Being "Quick" on the draw and having the ability to make a rapid decision is imperative and you could be running on a wild goose chase in a lot of the search.

Do not discount older TWs! IMHO a 1990 is just as valuable as a 2010 in the same outstanding condition. You have to take in to account the need to replace old tires and some carb and fuel system issues but there is nothing that would hold me back when a real pretty older bike crosses my path.
Things to watch for and keep in mind when looking at pre owned older TWs are parts availability. We know that plastics are interchangeable in almost all cases but colors can be a real problem. If you need turquoise plastics or a certain color tank you might have a real hard time finding these parts in outstanding condition and they are not available from the dealers at any price. Finding a near perfect 88, 90 or 91 tank is near impossible but black and white plastics are pretty easy. I love the odd colored tanks and plastics of some of the past years but they sure could be a big problem if you ever need to replace them. I am not overly fond of the basic white bikes but they do have some advantages in the long run.

Good luck in your search and be sure to check out the thread showing all the bikes and colors throughout the years.

GaryL
That was not my ad, this thread is the only thing I've posted looking for a TW. I'd actually prefer an older model that needs some work.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That was not my ad, this thread is the only thing I've posted looking for a TW. I'd actually prefer an older model that needs some work.
i'm over in franklin and had been looking too, just picked up a 2006. NH seems to have a much better selection than down here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do need to sometimes travel a little bit. I bought one of mine in Vermont and the other in Connecticut.

Here are a couple i found on CL that are older and within your price range.
yamaha street legal tw200This one is a 1996 in Maine

1996 Yamaha TW200 And another 1996 in Vermont
Yeah I've noticed there is barely any around eastern Mass so I've been searching throughout New England.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
yea good luck...some of the dealers don't carry them and some don't even know that they are still being made...so it doesn't suprise me that there aren't many around this area...i had to go to rhode island to get mine...use search tempest to search craigslist and vary your search spellings...search tw200, tw 200, trailway, yamaha dual sport, etc...i actually find that my craigslist iphone app pulls up the most results and sometimes search tempest misses some

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
yea good luck...some of the dealers don't carry them and some don't even know that they are still being made...so it doesn't suprise me that there aren't many around this area...i had to go to rhode island to get mine...use search tempest to search craigslist and vary your search spellings...search tw200, tw 200, trailway, yamaha dual sport, etc...i actually find that my craigslist iphone app pulls up the most results and sometimes search tempest misses some
I have found the same thing, both of mine were found on my phone and not on cl or search tempest.

One other thing i also will mention when you do find one on CL be prepared to pounce on it immediately or it will most likely be gone, especially in the summer. If they are priced well they will sell fast. When i bought my first one it was not on CL for 15 min and i was one the phone and in my truck on my way to Vermont with cash in hand. the owner was shocked at how quick someone responded. I had been looking for months before i bought this one, every one i saw was gone within 24 hours. The second one i bought over the winter and the guy literally had hundreds of calls on it after i had spoken to him. That one took me a week to get there due to snow storms but the owner was true to his word(unlike others i have delt with) and told me he would hold it so i could come see it since i was the first call with a genuine interest. needless to say i went home with it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The 1997 TW200 that I bought a year ago was listed on CL for 17 minutes when I called and told him I would buy it. You have to act fast and be confident in what you are willing to pay, considering condition and year.
Mel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts