TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a mismatched ignition, gas cap and helmet lock on one of my 2001 TDubs. Havn't priced new ones nor have I called a lock smith to see how much re-keying everything would cost. Anyone out there parting out a TDub with these parts?

Vrroom

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do a search for yamaha part # cross reference. I found a site that showed an xt350 ignition from certain (most) years was the same as my 96'TW. That widens your options for ebay,etc.

I rekeyed my helmet lock to match the ignition in just a few minutes and had never tried that before. Just take a small pick and depress the gold colored piece and CAREFULLY knock out the lock assembly. Don't loose the tiny springs. CAREFULLY hold the assembly and insert the desired key to match and watch the little pieces to see which ones don't go in to make the cylinder smooth. Flip those over or swap them around or maybe even remove one, you don't need them all. It's really easier than it sounds. The gas cap is the same process. Just make them both match your ignition key.

Lock smith should be about $10 or $15 per lock.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a search for yamaha part # cross reference. I found a site that showed an xt350 ignition from certain (most) years was the same as my 96'TW. That widens your options for ebay,etc.

I rekeyed my helmet lock to match the ignition in just a few minutes and had never tried that before. Just take a small pick and depress the gold colored piece and CAREFULLY knock out the lock assembly. Don't loose the tiny springs. CAREFULLY hold the assembly and insert the desired key to match and watch the little pieces to see which ones don't go in to make the cylinder smooth. Flip those over or swap them around or maybe even remove one, you don't need them all. It's really easier than it sounds. The gas cap is the same process. Just make them both match your ignition key.

Brownie2 ...

Thanks for the tips on the ignition and locks. I'll give those things a try sometime this weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a mismatched ignition, gas cap and helmet lock on one of my 2001 TDubs. Havn't priced new ones nor have I called a lock smith to see how much re-keying everything would cost. Anyone out there parting out a TDub with these parts?

Vrroom
I saw this on E-bay today. Not too bad of a price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-YAMAHA-TW-200-TW200-TRAILWAY-LOCK-SET-KEY-0204-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem33608e1c68QQitemZ220663258216QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Good Luck!

Shawn

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Brownie2 .... Thanks for the tip, IT WORKED! ... I was able to match the gas cap lock and the helmet lock with the ignition key. I'm back to using one key as it was intended from the factory. Now I'm just praying for some decent weather so I can go out and ride. New Years day is supposed to be 60F where I am in SC. Cant wait!

Vrroom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts