TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The valve adjustment locknut backed out on my '04 (I obviously didn't tighten it enough) and it scrambled the motors internals, so I'm looking for a replacement. Will consider buying a whole bike depending on price. Thanks!

ahm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damnit - thought i posted a reply an hour ago. sorry about that - i am in the Washington DC metro area, living in maryland and working in northern virginia. i am willing to travel for the right deal; i bought my tw in kentucky

ahm

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a spare most-of-a-bike I was thinking about fixing up and using as a dirt-only one (no title) with a good motor. The guy I bought it from took out the CDI for another TW, and the wiring harness is hacked to shit but I have a replacement of both on their way to me. I'm located in Ellicott City, north of DC by like 40 minutes if you're interested. Not sure how much I'd let it go for, but not too bad. Can send pics if you'd like.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Damn that sucks man I had the exact same problem with my TW.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i 'won' / bought an '88 motor (kicker and all
)...and i realized i'm not 100% positive the motors are REALLY the same throughout the years (at least up to my '04). can anyone verify they really are identical (other than the kicker-related parts) or not? will it really bolt in after swapping over the carb/cdi, etc?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was just going to point you towards a cheap '91 on eBay going right now, but looks like you got it handled
The only thing that may be different is something electrical, if I remember right. It would be something with the stator, so you could potentially swap your bits over if it was needed. I THINK the change was in '01.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I was just going to point you towards a cheap '91 on eBay going right now, but looks like you got it handled
The only thing that may be different is something electrical, if I remember right. It would be something with the stator, so you could potentially swap your bits over if it was needed. I THINK the change was in '01.

So YOU'RE the one who bought that 88 motor on Ebay lol. I was considering it myself. But I think I can do it cheaper. I'm just looking at buying a used top end. All i need is the top part of the top end (whatever that is called...).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep, i'm the dirty son-of-a-*&@#$
i actually missed one a few weeks back that went for something like ~$180 shipped!?!?!?! still, $290 shipped to me is worth a shot. that's about as much money as i could see sinking into this little project at the moment. since most of the listings seem to be in the $3-500 range (plus $100+ for shipping) i thought this was a deal worth trying. i'm hesitant to get too excited - the motor after all is ~23 years old and clearly hasn't had an easy life (just from the pictures they posted in the listing). i think if i end up swapping the motor and its bad, a)i'll be seriously pissed at 'xtreme-motors-08', and b)i'll end up selling off the carcass/bike. i just don't have the time...

do you need the head? or the head w/valves/cam/etc? depending on how my debacle goes, perhaps i'll have parts to sell...

ahm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts