TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE - If you're reading this thread, we bought 1 and are now looking for another.

Wife and I are looking to buy two TW200's for ourselves. Needs to be within about 200mi of DFW, TX.
Must have clear titles and be in good to very good condition. Stock is preferred.
We have cash and patience, looking to pay about $1,500 - $1,700 each.

We are both experienced, licensed riders. Our last bikes were a 1995 HD FLHTCU and a 2009 FLSTN.
We sold them a few years ago and miss going riding together. After a lot of research and talking, we made up our minds to get back to riding.

I'm subscribed and watching the thread, checking CL and other sources.

Humbly,

Dutch & Tina
395055_489228181108807_1912924229_n.jpg

·
Registered
193 Posts
Welcome. Keep an eye on here and Craigslist as you have been. The two best/cheapest sources that I've found. If you're willing to travel or have the bike shipped you can use Google search rather than the CL search to check all of craigslist (nationwide) and find what you're looking for. Just go into advanced search and tell Google to search "www.craigslist.org" for "TW200". Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hello and welcome! I've had good luck using Searchtempest to filter CL adds in the past. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys! Found a '99 that looks solid (4k miles and stock), near home. Guy is asking $1,500. We won't be back for about 2 weeks, so I'm going to see about having a buddy (also a bike rider / shade tree mech) go over and check it out. If it's good, I may snag it.

I know it might seem like we're aiming a bit high on wanting to buy a pair of good to very good TW's for $3,000 to $3,500, but we think it is actually reasonable with a bit of patience. I'm going to start on a HF trailer build very soon. It will be set up to haul both scoots behind the RV (40' 5er), pickup (F350 CC 4x4 DRW) or the wife's Hyundai Elantra. That is, anytime we don't just simply ride them to where we are going.

Our idea is to ride (putt) around town, on back roads (live in a semi-rural area), campgrounds, a tad bit of light off roading. We're older now and not ready to give up doing one of the most enjoyable activities we know. Riding together. ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wife and I are looking to buy two TW200's for ourselves. Needs to be within about 200mi of DFW, TX.
Must have clear titles and be in good to very good condition. Stock is preferred.
We have cash and patience, looking to pay about $1,500 - $1,700 each.

We are both experienced, licensed riders. Our last bikes were a 1995 HD FLHTCU and a 2009 FLSTN.
We sold them a few years ago and miss going riding together. After a lot of research and talking, we made up our minds to get back to riding.

I'm subscribed and watching the thread, checking CL and other sources.

Humbly,

Dutch & Tina
View attachment 8569

If your wife can handle the machine in the photo the TW is going be a piece of cake for her. I have seen a few nice ones on Craig's List. I wish my wife would ride. Many years ago I bought two Honda Trail 90s with the idea of us riding together. She was very disinterested. I finally got her on one of them out in front of the house. She drove it about 50 feet, then stopped and said "come and get it" She walked away from it and never touched it again.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, the *NEED* to get back on bikes started about a month ago and we started hunting for a pair CT90's or 110's. I had completely forgot about the TW's and when I stumbled across this forum and started reading (lurking) and doing some in depth research, I suggested we head over to the local Yamaha dealer and "examine" one. Needless to say, we are sold on getting TW's. Fits the bill better than the CT's and in the long run we'll be much happier. Oh, and yes, she'll be able to handle it just fine. But... she's a short legged 5'3" and can *BARELY* touch tippy toe when sitting on the TW. As you know this can be resolved fast, easy and cheap. Wait... all 3 at the same time?!?!? One more reason that you know the TW is the right choice. :)

Humbly,

Dutch

·
Registered
197 Posts
Actually, the *NEED* to get back on bikes started about a month ago and we started hunting for a pair CT90's or 110's. I had completely forgot about the TW's and when I stumbled across this forum and started reading (lurking) and doing some in depth research, I suggested we head over to the local Yamaha dealer and "examine" one. Needless to say, we are sold on getting TW's. Fits the bill better than the CT's and in the long run we'll be much happier. Oh, and yes, she'll be able to handle it just fine. But... she's a short legged 5'3" and can *BARELY* touch tippy toe when sitting on the TW. As you know this can be resolved fast, easy and cheap. Wait... all 3 at the same time?!?!? One more reason that you know the TW is the right choice. :)

Humbly,

Dutch
The Honda CT-110 is low and a person can board in front of the seat. The problem is it's difficult to find one in good shape and the price is too high, they have become vintage collectors items. So the TW was the right choice. The CT is too gutless anyway. In a headwind going up hill it's a joke.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, the 2009 that came up on CL, near us, sold before the seller ever replied to my email. No biggie. We are now scouring dealers for 2013's that are left over. What we hope to do is find a dealer with two, OR one and they can get another transferred / traded to them. The idea is we plan to offer $7,000 OTD for a pair of 2013's. Cash.

Unless, I find a pair of good (and I do mean good) used ones near us (within a 100 miles or so, of DFW) for about $1,500 to $1,750 each. Doesn't need to be from the same seller. :)

The reward of patience = satisfaction. ;)

Interestingly, I just found a PAIR of new 2009 TW's at a dealer in Chandler, AZ. But, they're asking $3,899 each. (really??? :rolleyes: ) Also interesting is that the pictures of them look like 2103's (white front fenders) Hmmmm...
http://www.ridenowchandler.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory#page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&make=yamaha&model=tw 200&d=on

·
Registered
75 Posts
good luck getting them cheaper then that .. in California a left over 2013 still gets 4500 out the door .. I got lucky and just got my 2014 for 4500 cash out the door after calling every dealer in socal keep watching craigslist and they pop in your price range but they sell fast .. be prepared to buy within a few hours not just say ill go look at it tomorrow ... good luck in your search

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Well, the 2009 that came up on CL, near us, sold before the seller ever replied to my email. No biggie. We are now scouring dealers for 2013's that are left over. What we hope to do is find a dealer with two, OR one and they can get another transferred / traded to them. The idea is we plan to offer $7,000 OTD for a pair of 2013's. Cash.

Unless, I find a pair of good (and I do mean good) used ones near us (within a 100 miles or so, of DFW) for about $1,500 to $1,750 each. Doesn't need to be from the same seller. :)

Interestingly, I just found a PAIR of new 2009 TW's at a dealer in Chandler, AZ. But, they're asking $3,899 each. (really??? :rolleyes: ) Also interesting is that the pictures of them look like 2103's (white front fenders) Hmmmm...
Current New Inventory | RideNow Powersports Chandler
At the bottom of the TW pic's, there looks to be added charges such as set up, freight, tax, licensing, etc. I think you are going to need more $. You're better off buying private. The bikes are all pretty much the same all in all and there are many sitting in garages with just a few miles and a whole lot cheaper if you are patient. And of course most of the members here will let you know if they see a deal too.

*the ones I saw were $4950 and appeared new.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

Current New Inventory | RideNow Powersports Chandler
I got my 2012 from Ride now Surprise in 2013 that is not the out the door price the add on's will be sales tax $ 325. registration/ license $90. dealers titling and processing $350. so It will be around $4600. and that is a stock photo.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I bet if you emailed a sales man and offered $7500. out the door for the two 2009's you would get an email back soon saying OK get a cheap Southwest one way flight get a small U-Haul truck and back to Texas don't forget the TW is like the DR650 unchanged in many years the only change is the color. If you do it on a Saturday I will pick you up at Sky harbor and drive you over to the ride now and U-Haul. Paul

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
4x4Given if you are not interested in the 2009's let me know my son was looking at these bikes I just might buy one of them and have them send it over to my side of town.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We're not interested in the 2009's at Chandlers. But (and I mean this VERY respectfully) to those who say the 2013's can't be bought that cheap, I must disagree. The dealer we went into the other day had a new 2013 on the floor and asked me if I would buy it for $3,699. It was advertised at $4,199 and he said they would drop the freight, destination etc charge and come off the price a bit more. I said we would think about it, but that we are really looking for TWO.

I've also found no less than a half dozen other dealers (in Texas) with 2013's advertised at $3,900 to $4,100. They are out there.

FWIW, I worked in the motorcycle industry (about 10 years) as a Suzuki and a Kawasaki mechanic and a service manager (about a half dozen different dealerships) and I am very familiar with how the dealer "floor plans" work. Once they have the dealer hold back and any reserves, that they can apply, AND they have them in inventory when 2015's are hitting the floors, 2013's *can* be bought for a very good price. I'm patient. :)

Humbly,

Dutch

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At the bottom of the TW pic's, there looks to be added charges such as set up, freight, tax, licensing, etc. I think you are going to need more $. You're better off buying private. The bikes are all pretty much the same all in all and there are many sitting in garages with just a few miles and a whole lot cheaper if you are patient. And of course most of the members here will let you know if they see a deal too.

*the ones I saw were $4950 and appeared new.
Tommy,

Click on the model and choose the TW 200, not TW200 (note the space). You'll see two separate 2009's for $3,899.

Chandler's 2009s.JPG

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Good to know Dutch. I will try and use that to my advantage when I buy my cb500x:cool:

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
We're not interested in the 2009's at Chandlers. But (and I mean this VERY respectfully) to those who say the 2013's can't be bought that cheap, I must disagree. The dealer we went into the other day had a new 2013 on the floor and asked me if I would buy it for $3,699. It was advertised at $4,199 and he said they would drop the freight, destination etc charge and come off the price a bit more. I said we would think about it, but that we are really looking for TWO.

I've also found no less than a half dozen other dealers (in Texas) with 2013's advertised at $3,900 to $4,100. They are out there.

FWIW, I worked in the motorcycle industry (about 10 years) as a Suzuki and a Kawasaki mechanic and a service manager (about a half dozen different dealerships) and I am very familiar with how the dealer "floor plans" work. Once they have the dealer hold back and any reserves, that they can apply, AND they have them in inventory when 2015's are hitting the floors, 2013's *can* be bought for a very good price. I'm patient. :)

Humbly,

Dutch
Every dealer is different in Arizona Ride now has a monopoly on Japanese bikes around Phoenix it sales a ton of bikes so it is hard to talk them down so that deal you were offered was a solid deal go for it.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
My 2009 has a black front fender ( OEM ) . Possibly a typo on their part ?.
you are right white and a black fender.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts