TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to buy two cheap (less than $2000, hopefully $1500 or less) TWs.

Can travel anywhere. Prefer registered (Australian buying in the USA for road-trip).

Any hints? Do I just find one, then look for another and roadtrip towards it?

FWIW, we're flying into NY on July 4th. Will want bikes ASAP. One in, or near, NY would work well, and we could just ride towards another 2-up.

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not real close but I will mention it. There is a 2008 at B & B boats & bikes in sikeston Missouri for 1750$. it's a good lookin bike with 3000 miles on it. There is an airport with commercial flights to St. Louis (30$-50$ one way) about 30 miles from there. They did have two, the other was a 2005. I bought it though. The dealer said they came from the same owner who used them to scout crops. To me that means that they were used but not abused and probably maintained well. The wheels have paint chips from traveling gravel roads. There were a few paint chips on the tank. But overall the bike looks fantastic compared to the others I found on the web for the same money. It might be worth the extra travel, check it out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a Tw200 for sale. 1995 very good condition. I don't know the mileage because I bought it with a broken speedo. Many new parts and upgrades of the type that appear on this forum. New tires front and back, new chain and sprokets, electronic gauges, ready to ride. Clean title, currently on the road.
call me 845.590.5254. I live about 70 miles north of New York City. I'm looking to get $1900.00

·
Registered
28 Posts
just checked out your pics in the other forum. i am very very very jealous. looks like an unbelievable adventure. and you are traveling with some very pretty females. tell the girls they are gorgeous.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I think you are pulling my leg!

I am in NY and about 2 hours north west of NYC. I have 2 very worthy TWs in my garage and I have just finished complete updates on both. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either bike and both are good to run for a very long time as evidenced by the NE Russ Ralley both of my bikes performed flawlessly on this past weekend.

My 1988 has some wear and tear but is completely road worthy with brand new tires, tubes, X ring chain and sprockets and lots of other new parts. The engine runs great with only 1975 miles and fresh oil, filter and all adjustments just made.

My 1991 is a gorgeous bike with all the best farkles we all talk about here. New tires and tubes filled with Ride On balancer/puncture protectant just like the 88, DID X ring chain and new sprockets, Jimbo shield, bark buster hand guards with covers, outstanding Lizrdbrth oil cooler, 12 volt plugs for accessories and a battery tender fixed plug. Both bikes have Coleman seat cushions and fresh fork oil and I don't skimp on anything. The 1991 just turned 1,000 miles and looks about as close to showroom as you will ever find and has a Cycle Rack rear rack and a great dog carrier box if you need it. The shock has a 19 KG spring from Pro Cycle to handle the extra weight and a locking tool tube is mounted on the rear rack. Pro Taper bars and the front fender is raised an inch. That's around $1700 in added extras on a super nice condition bike I began with.

I don't have to do a thing to grab a pal and go for a real long ride on either of my bikes and both have new or newly rebuilt carbs. You could ask anyone who rode with us last weekend and my TWs were just ready to roll. Both are registered, insured with titles in hand and passed a NY inspection last week.

You can have them both for $4,500 and drive them back to home with very minor adjustments and oil changes on the way. I will just buy a new one and start all over again. Seems I have more fun making TWs right than I do riding them and I sure do love working on them to make sure all systems are go.

The 1988 could be a real looker if you tore it down and got rid of the flat black spray paint the PO thought looked cool and brought it back to a red frame with black tank, plastics and the 88s are well loved for.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I think you are pulling my leg!

I am in NY and about 2 hours north west of NYC. I have 2 very worthy TWs in my garage and I have just finished complete updates on both. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either bike and both are good to run for a very long time as evidenced by the NE Russ Ralley both of my bikes performed flawlessly on this past weekend.

My 1988 has some wear and tear but is completely road worthy with brand new tires, tubes, X ring chain and sprockets and lots of other new parts. The engine runs great with only 1975 miles and fresh oil, filter and all adjustments just made.

My 1991 is a gorgeous bike with all the best farkles we all talk about here. New tires and tubes filled with Ride On balancer/puncture protectant just like the 88, DID X ring chain and new sprockets, Jimbo shield, bark buster hand guards with covers, outstanding Lizrdbrth oil cooler, 12 volt plugs for accessories and a battery tender fixed plug. Both bikes have Coleman seat cushions and fresh fork oil and I don't skimp on anything. The 1991 just turned 1,000 miles and looks about as close to showroom as you will ever find and has a Cycle Rack rear rack and a great dog carrier box if you need it. The shock has a 19 KG spring from Pro Cycle to handle the extra weight and a locking tool tube is mounted on the rear rack. Pro Taper bars and the front fender is raised an inch. That's around $1700 in added extras on a super nice condition bike I began with.

I don't have to do a thing to grab a pal and go for a real long ride on either of my bikes and both have new or newly rebuilt carbs. You could ask anyone who rode with us last weekend and my TWs were just ready to roll. Both are registered, insured with titles in hand and passed a NY inspection last week.

You can have them both for $4,500 and drive them back to home with very minor adjustments and oil changes on the way. I will just buy a new one and start all over again. Seems I have more fun making TWs right than I do riding them and I sure do love working on them to make sure all systems are go.

The 1988 could be a real looker if you tore it down and got rid of the flat black spray paint the PO thought looked cool and brought it back to a red frame with black tank, plastics and the 88s are well loved for.

GaryL
That's a great deal right there! Problem solved!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
turborob is good people, so treat him nicely. Best of luck with the trip and by all means look up the TW folks as you travel. Tom

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Schmitty: our plans our limited. We would like to extend our 90 day tourist visa, but are not sure if it will be possible. For now, the plan is to find two bikes, meet friends in Yellowstone, ride over the west coast and hang out with them for a week or so. Then, we're free to travel around for a few months. We know astonishingly little about what to see/do in the states, but we'll be avoiding cities where we can due to accommodation's costs; we're on a 'camping' budget! I hear good things about Utah, so we'll be looking around there. We're also considering riding down to Mexico, but perhaps towards the latter part of the trip when the weather is a little cooler. We're happy to have suggestions thrown our way. For now, it's sell our bikes in Peru or Ecuador (which is proving harder than we thought) and try to arrange bikes in the US. We'll make up the US part as we go along.

Gregor: yours is a consideration (I'll elaborate a little more further on).

GaryL: your beasts are tempting too, but they're priced above what we're looking to pay at this stage. Though the fact we don't have to make a domestic flight within the states, is an advantage.

I've actually contacted another forum member who has two TWs for sale, but I've been waiting on a response for a few days now. I'll probably give it another day or two, then consider other options.

peruano: thank you. Sending PM.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Yes Turbo, I thought long and hard about my offer and what will ring true given your plans is condition. You won't have the access to tools and shops for making repairs along the way and dealers will hose you every time you have an issue. My advice is to buy 2 bikes that are good to hop on and go no matter who or where you buy them from.

With the short riding season here I spent the entire last winter going over both of my TWs with all new parts just so I could get through this summer with no major issues and only minor adjustments being necessary. You will absolutely want bikes in this kind of condition for your trip and I honestly don't believe you will find them in your price range. Either me or some other knowledgeable member would have already bought them if they appeared. You want fresh tires and tubes, clean carbs and tanks, fresh sprockets and a good chain and a good running, low miles engine that has all the standard adjustments just made. The operative term would be "Turn Key", just hop on and go.

I will be interested in hearing how you make out and reading your ride report.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I couldn't agree with Gary more. The better the condition the bikes are in when you purchase them, the better the condition when you get ready to sell them, thus recovering more of your investment. That reduces the cost overall.

I will add, if you are in Central California Coastal area, fee free to contact me for an area to camp, mechanical adjustments, etc.
Mel

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I couldn't agree with Gary more. The better the condition the bikes are in when you purchase them, the better the condition when you get ready to sell them, thus recovering more of your investment. That reduces the cost overall.

I will add, if you are in Central California Coastal area, fee free to contact me for an area to camp, mechanical adjustments, etc.
Mel
Up in Binghamton, NY there is a real pretty 1989 Turquoise bike for $1500 that has 2700 miles on it. He/She won't move on the price but like most of these older bikes it has the original tires, tubes, chain and sprockets and I would suspect it to need a good fuel system going through. All of that is an additional $400 with you doing the labor and I just don't see a 1989 ever bringing back close to $2,000. At $1500 if it had new parts and was in fact ready for the road I would already have it.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Up in Binghamton, NY there is a real pretty 1989 Turquoise bike for $1500 that has 2700 miles on it. He/She won't move on the price but like most of these older bikes it has the original tires, tubes, chain and sprockets and I would suspect it to need a good fuel system going through. All of that is an additional $400 with you doing the labor and I just don't see a 1989 ever bringing back close to $2,000. At $1500 if it had new parts and was in fact ready for the road I would already have it.

GaryL
Very funny Gary. I looked at that bike as well since it is 40 minutes from me. I just cant get past that turquoise color! There is another in Walton I believe for $1000 low low miles but left side case has a hole in it where the chain jumped the sprocket. This particular bike looks abused to me but I am thinking parts bike?

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Very funny Gary. I looked at that bike as well since it is 40 minutes from me. I just cant get past that turquoise color! There is another in Walton I believe for $1000 low low miles but left side case has a hole in it where the chain jumped the sprocket. This particular bike looks abused to me but I am thinking parts bike?

Tom
The hole in the left side cover is a Non issue if it is outside of the sealed gasket area and only in the sprocket channel. Low, low miles is a big plus if it was not hammered too hard. Low, low to me is well under 1,000. There are lots of real jerks out there who can destroy a bike in just a few hundred miles so it is always a crap shoot. TW engines can withstand a good deal of abuse but the facts are that the first 1-2 thousand miles are the most critical of it's life. I saw a 1995 right up the road from me I would not touch at any price. Low miles on the clock but it sure had hard miles underneath and on all sides. It is pretty easy to determine just how hard a TW was pounded. My 88 had more damage from sitting and being outside than it ever got from a hard ride and that was easy to see.

GaryL

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Schmitty: our plans our limited. We would like to extend our 90 day tourist visa, but are not sure if it will be possible. For now, the plan is to find two bikes, meet friends in Yellowstone, ride over the west coast and hang out with them for a week or so. Then, we're free to travel around for a few months. We know astonishingly little about what to see/do in the states, but we'll be avoiding cities where we can due to accommodation's costs; we're on a 'camping' budget! I hear good things about Utah, so we'll be looking around there. We're also considering riding down to Mexico, but perhaps towards the latter part of the trip when the weather is a little cooler. We're happy to have suggestions thrown our way. For now, it's sell our bikes in Peru or Ecuador (which is proving harder than we thought) and try to arrange bikes in the US. We'll make up the US part as we go along.

Gregor: yours is a consideration (I'll elaborate a little more further on).

GaryL: your beasts are tempting too, but they're priced above what we're looking to pay at this stage. Though the fact we don't have to make a domestic flight within the states, is an advantage.

I've actually contacted another forum member who has two TWs for sale, but I've been waiting on a response for a few days now. I'll probably give it another day or two, then consider other options.

peruano: thank you. Sending PM.
The more I think about your plans for travel the more I want to pass a long what I think is good advice. I love the idea of you buying a couple TWs as this is a great way to see a lot of the off the beaten path places in the states. I also think that traveling from NY to Yellowstone, Utah and out west on TWs would be a complete nightmare for you both. I sure do understand the budget thing but you will be very wise to spend a bit more money and do this right. I don't care if you buy my bikes or any others.

Get to NY City and rent a van from either U Haul or Enterprise. Go buy the bikes you decide on and put them in the back with all your gear and hit the roads. When you get to places to ride the bikes you have a secure place to keep your stuff while you explore and if the weather is bad you can sleep in the van. I can't begin to imagine how disastrous a walk about here in the states could be if all you have is 2 TWs with all your gear for a few moths strapped on and riding such distances as from NY to the west coast. Put the Van on cruise control at 70 and get to where you are going in comfort and without worry for weather and stopping for fuel every 90 minutes on the TWs.

I think most of us here would agree. By the time you got from NY City to Buffalo your rumps would be about worn out on the TWs. Camping along the way if you hit a week of solid rain would be a nighmare but doable if you had a Van that you could sleep inside of. The trip you are describing seems like the trip of a lifetime coming from Australia to the US for 3 full months of kicking around to see a lot of our gorgeous country. Spend a little more and make it a trip you will want to remember for the fun times rather than for all the pain and suffering from doing it in the hard saddles of the slow TWs.

Absolutely register your bikes in Vermont where you will get transferable registrations. This way you can sell them when you near the end and have no problems transferring them. Do it in NY or some other states and it will probably take a month or two or three before the titles ever get mailed to you where ever you might end up.

I hate to pee all over your parade but I would never even consider going from NY to the west coast on a TW, heck, I would not consider going from my home here 100 miles NE of NYC up to Buffalo which is around 450 miles. That ride alone would take you at the very least 12 + hours with stopping for fuel, food and rest room breaks and by the time you got to Binghamton which is 100 miles from my house your hands would be tingling and your rears crying. If I was doing your trip on a motorcycle you can be sure it would be a full dressed Gold Wing or some other big bike with full fairings, wind screens and lots of dry storage, maybe even a tow behind trailer.

GaryL

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Rob I'm in San Diego south west corner of the USA close to Mexico, feel free to stay with us we have a spare room, spare parts, cold beer, and a BBQ.

Ronnydog

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I hate to pee all over your parade but I would never even consider going from NY to the west coast on a TW, heck, I would not consider going from my home here 100 miles NE of NYC up to Buffalo which is around 450 miles.
GaryL
I think Rob is pretty familiar with long distance rides on the TW. Take a look at some of his old posts.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I think Rob is pretty familiar with long distance rides on the TW. Take a look at some of his old posts.
You are absolutely right RT! Just because I would not embark on such an adventure does not mean others shouldn't. It is hard for me to go back that far but 40 years ago I would have been all in for a trip like this. We spent the eight days prior to our wedding out on an island on Moosehead Lake, Maine wilderness camping and showed up at the JP in Bar Harbor 15 minutes before the ceremony looking and stinking like a camp fire. The next 10 days were the luxury half of our honeymoon where we had a nice studio apartment and kicked around Mt. Desert Island in style. Going back this July to do it again for our 20th. anniversary.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts