TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...what is that big, thick, ugly, black, "rubber band" around my rear brake drum for?
The official Parts List is of no help.

All I can guess is that it is to cancel harmonic squealing from the drum?
I'm dieing to cut that sucker offa there, but I'll wait to see what the Pros know...

Thanks, Pros!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, dayam...now I don't get to cut it off!
Thanks, LT.

·
Super Moderator
4,855 Posts
That big, thick, ugly, black, "rubber band" around your rear brake drum, is there to insulate the heat within the brake drum, thereby keeping it at optimum braking efficiency, whilst masquerading as some kind of “silencer”

In Yamahas own words – “One of our people on the production line first introduced this as a joke, but upon much discussion (over a lot of Saki), no-one was able to disprove the need for it. Indeed, it caused so much confusion, that it was decided to keep it on there just in case it actually did something. Subsequent investigations by our technical department decided that it made about as much sense as the stock front tire, but as that was readily accepted by our customers, we decided that they would go for anything we provided. As each rubber ring (both on the front wheel, and the rear brake hub) is absolutely useless, it was decided to “roll with it”, though the suggestion of duplicating the tread pattern on the rear hub was regarded as “taking the piss” – we left that to the Suzuki VanVan, who uphold this tradition to this day”

·
Registered
119 Posts
That big, thick, ugly, black, "rubber band" around your rear brake drum, is there to insulate the heat within the brake drum, thereby keeping it at optimum braking efficiency, whilst masquerading as some kind of “silencer”

In Yamahas own words – “One of our people on the production line first introduced this as a joke, but upon much discussion (over a lot of Saki), no-one was able to disprove the need for it. Indeed, it caused so much confusion, that it was decided to keep it on there just in case it actually did something. Subsequent investigations by our technical department decided that it made about as much sense as the stock front tire, but as that was readily accepted by our customers, we decided that they would go for anything we provided. As each rubber ring (both on the front wheel, and the rear brake hub) is absolutely useless, it was decided to “roll with it”, though the suggestion of duplicating the tread pattern on the rear hub was regarded as “taking the piss” – we left that to the Suzuki VanVan, who uphold this tradition to this day”
Finally it all makes sense!

This has bothered me for years ... Thanks for the response from Yamaha ...

·
Registered
604 Posts
There you have it, LT and Purple have saved the day. But Darth, just for gits and shiggles, I'd love for you to use your red lightsaber and cut it off. Y'know, for research and all.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Purple, my God man...are you mad? You must be!
Just for that, I'm going to cut the 'effing thing off and see what happens.
Cowboy, I got the idea from you, so if it causes problems, you can just buy me a new rubber...

·
Registered
604 Posts
C'mon man! A new rubber only costs 75 cents in the machine at Truck Stop Trixie's Lot Lizard Emporium.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
C'mon man! A new rubber only costs 75 cents in the machine at Truck Stop Trixie's Lot Lizard Emporium.
Geeze Cowboy, ya screwed up!
75 cents is for the *used* ones...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts