TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only a forum member on this site and you all seem very knowledgeable. This engine is also very similar to the TW so I thought I'd run this by you guys and see what you think...

So we picked up a 2000 XR200R last weekend and it appeared to run smooth and clean on first look but once we got it home it's been blowing blue smoke at higher rpms. We've yet to open it up and are researching and plotting the best strategy to resolve it. It has plenty of power so we're thinking the bored out cylinder and piston are OK and it's likely the O-ring gasket (or lack of) between the cylinder head and valve head. Normally this gasket would seal the oil route to the top of the engine but it's running out just above the piston. So much so that it burns almost all the oil to one tank of gas. It also sounds like the valves may need adjustment.

So I'm thinking if we buy a gasket kit we might end up having all we need to resolve the oil burning. Assuming we're correct in our theory.

The other issue is first gear is a little tricky and only slips in gently when rolling forward if I understand this correctly. I have't rode it enough myself to diagnose this part...and may put this one off till later. It would be nice to have it running for the summer.

There are some reduild videos on youtube that give me the confidence to take this on so if I can find a service manual I think I'll be fine but if you have any tips/feedback on what I might expect please share...

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
If the gasket kit works to reduce oil consumption then investing in something from the AMSOIL line might improve shifting too. oil.jpg Both seem worth trying before investing in a major motor teardown.
XR200R should be a sweet bike for those Nova Scotia trails, worth keeping happy and healthy.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We might have to give synthetic a try...

In the meantime how bad is it to keep riding it if we keep topping up the oil? Short bursts checked frequently. I imagine the top end would still be getting some oil. It could be a week or two before we get to a rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Best advice is pull it apart asap, don't delay the inevitable. The sooner apart, the sooner togeather. You'll need a gasket kit anyaway so order it tonight. If it's only that, you'll be posting videos of you riding it by next weekend. They are fairly simple motors and you're a very smart person so I consider it easy peasey for you :)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JJ. I appreciate the vote of confidence.

It's at least a gasket kit and a service manual. I could use the torque specs and timing alignment descriptions. I looked online but didn't have much luck finding a PDF version to download. I may have to order one of those as well. I guess I could take notes from youtube and google searches if it came down to it.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Look on eBay.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done...top end gasket kit and service manual on the way. ETA 10 days. Time to clean up the shop. Once that's all done we'll try the synthetic oil.

Oh yeah and I think the xr200r is one of the closest matches to the TW for tight trail riding. But now I need to uncork the TW.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
When you figure out how to uncork it.. Let us know! :)

Done...top end gasket kit and service manual on the way. ETA 10 days. Time to clean up the shop. Once that's all done we'll try the synthetic oil.

Oh yeah and I think the xr200r is one of the closest matches to the TW for tight trail riding. But now I need to uncork the TW.

Reactions: Trail Woman

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure nothing I do is anything new or that dramatic but it all adds up. My goal is to achieve more acceleration and still reach 90kph/55mph top speed with out redlining.

I plan to ...
- Drill out the welch plug and adjust the fuel mix.
- Put on a 54 tooth rear sprocket and maybe a smaller front depending on the results.
Considering...
- Remove the inner snorkel from the air box. It looks like only one edge of the snorkel keeps dirt out and the rest restricts air.
- Maybe remove the spark arrester, drill out the muffler a little, and replace the spark arrester.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you want better acceleration out of the TW I’d suggest going the other way with your sprockets. As is first gear is way to short I found even on the trail. I find going to the 47 tooth on the rear to be perfect for me. It makes first some what usable and allows true comfy riding at 80-90 Kim’s with a honest 105 top speed (with my fat ass. Your results may very). As for the exhaust I have a DG on mine and bikes jetted accordingly. There is no noticeable performance gain over the stock bike my brother has.

As for the xr200. Yeah honestly you probly best to just get a top end kit. After all the parts are really not that $$$. And then you know it’s fresh and good for many many sMiles again.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you want better acceleration out of the TW I’d suggest going the other way with your sprockets. As is first gear is way to short I found even on the trail. I find going to the 47 tooth on the rear to be perfect for me. It makes first some what usable and allows true comfy riding at 80-90 Kim’s with a honest 105 top speed (with my fat ass. Your results may very). As for the exhaust I have a DG on mine and bikes jetted accordingly. There is no noticeable performance gain over the stock bike my brother has.

As for the xr200. Yeah honestly you probly best to just get a top end kit. After all the parts are really not that $$$. And then you know it’s fresh and good for many many sMiles again.
I have some experience with sprocket sizing before I got a TW.

If you decrease sprocket size you loose acceleration and gain top speed. This is more practical on the pavement and I'm 100% dirt. First gear is short unless you need to crawl over very technical terrain. If I get a larger sprocket I can accelerate guicker but loose top speed. As a result I will be in 2nd gear more with less need to slip the clutch on the trails instead of redlining 1st. I will likely be skipping 1st most of the time and launching off 2nd. Right now I rarely exceed 80kph which I can reach at the top of 4th gear so I have plenty of gear range wasted and unreachable. This way I won't need to gear down for hills as much either and I think I'll wheelie like this.;)

As for DG exhaust I heard the biggest difference is sound but some claim to get more power too and you can get similar result for free by modding the stock exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Ahhhh so it's really about Wheelies! I knew it..... ;)

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
Sprocket selection is a function of not only personal preference and rear tire diameter but primarily is related to steepness and difficulty of commonly encountered terrain. For example sometimes I wish for more torque multiplication in first gear than 13x55 sprockets can provide while churning a Duro ATV tire or even a stock smaller TrailWing aired down. 70 tooth rear sprockets are not unheard of in the inter-mountain west on TWs.
When discussing sprockets is is helpful to identify which of the two sprockets one is referring too when stating what happens when one "goes bigger", or "goes smaller".

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed...I was replying to Tinybear regarding back sprocket but I should have been more specific as to not have to back track to find out which sprocket we're talking about.

We're upsizing the XR200R rear sprocket as well....even though it wheelies up in 3rd. I think a rear tire that's not bald would be a better investment..lol

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back to the XR200RY
We did a top end gasket replacement and found the oil o-ring missing and thought we had nailed it We skipped the valve seals thinking they looked decent and even though the exhaust lash was way too loose they weren't pounded at all. The top of the head was getting oil so the cam, valves and chain appeared to be in great shape. We also left the piston head on since we thought the missing oil o-ring was the culprit and the serial number proved it had a larger piston job after a 1mm bore. Since we had it apart we used some red engine enamel and black header paint and it looks much better.....but otherwise fail. It ran with lots of power but burned through oil even worse then before. So now it's a full rebuild. This may run a few hundred in parts considering the shifter fork appears to have some damage and the kickstarter is sloppy. And until then my main riding partner is out of luck. Maybe we can get the broken FXX110 hub repaired (replaced, laced, and waiting for bearings and spacers) and we can still have some fun this summer.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After doing more research it appears assembling the piston rings incorrectly can lead to burning oil badly so before we place an order, we're going to remove only four engine bolts and cam/chain assembly and lift off the entire head to inspect the rings since we still have that gasket from the kit. I'm guessing now that the POS PO assembled the oil ring overlapping itself and possibly upside down for that matter, and possibly the rings are not even aligned properly. We're not quite ready for the expense and work of a complete rebuild if avoidable.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
After doing more research it appears assembling the piston rings incorrectly can lead to burning oil badly so before we place an order, we're going to remove only four engine bolts and cam/chain assembly and lift off the entire head to inspect the rings since we still have that gasket from the kit. I'm guessing now that the POS PO assembled the oil ring overlapping itself and possibly upside down for that matter, and possibly the rings are not even aligned properly. We're not quite ready for the expense and work of a complete rebuild if avoidable.
Yeah, indexing piston rings is pretty import step. The below picture is for the TW not the Honda XR200r and I'm just showing it to your viewers to visualize what you are speaking about. Step 7. below

·
Registered
149 Posts
Back to the XR200RY
We did a top end gasket replacement and found the oil o-ring missing and thought we had nailed it We skipped the valve seals thinking they looked decent and even though the exhaust lash was way too loose they weren't pounded at all. The top of the head was getting oil so the cam, valves and chain appeared to be in great shape. We also left the piston head on since we thought the missing oil o-ring was the culprit and the serial number proved it had a larger piston job after a 1mm bore. Since we had it apart we used some red engine enamel and black header paint and it looks much better.....but otherwise fail. It ran with lots of power but burned through oil even worse then before. So now it's a full rebuild. This may run a few hundred in parts considering the shifter fork appears to have some damage and the kickstarter is sloppy. And until then my main riding partner is out of luck. Maybe we can get the broken FXX110 hub repaired (replaced, laced, and waiting for bearings and spacers) and we can still have some fun this summer.
Don't ya just hate when that happens!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts