TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

XR200R blue smoke?

13K views 45 replies 8 participants last post by  Trail Woman 
#1 ·
I'm only a forum member on this site and you all seem very knowledgeable. This engine is also very similar to the TW so I thought I'd run this by you guys and see what you think...

So we picked up a 2000 XR200R last weekend and it appeared to run smooth and clean on first look but once we got it home it's been blowing blue smoke at higher rpms. We've yet to open it up and are researching and plotting the best strategy to resolve it. It has plenty of power so we're thinking the bored out cylinder and piston are OK and it's likely the O-ring gasket (or lack of) between the cylinder head and valve head. Normally this gasket would seal the oil route to the top of the engine but it's running out just above the piston. So much so that it burns almost all the oil to one tank of gas. It also sounds like the valves may need adjustment.

So I'm thinking if we buy a gasket kit we might end up having all we need to resolve the oil burning. Assuming we're correct in our theory.

The other issue is first gear is a little tricky and only slips in gently when rolling forward if I understand this correctly. I have't rode it enough myself to diagnose this part...and may put this one off till later. It would be nice to have it running for the summer.

There are some reduild videos on youtube that give me the confidence to take this on so if I can find a service manual I think I'll be fine but if you have any tips/feedback on what I might expect please share...

See less See more
#37 ·
Ah....got ya. Nope just digital calipers.

What about grit size? 220- 280? I found a variety of 2 5/8" for my <67mm cylinder on ebay.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-5-8-Nikas...minum-Oxide-/352371016727?hash=item520af30417
I would call them, the manufacturer, I did when I got mine, which I just searched for so I could tell you the grit but there is no tag on it. They were great last I called them. If you get the right size you can use it in your tw in the future. They asked the use (re-hone for rings), the cylinder material (steel, non lined in my case) and the diameter and depth of the hole. Once they had that they gave me a part number.

Reactions: Trail Woman
#38 ·
Ps... do you actually have a nikasil lined cylinder? You linked to one that's for a lined cylinder. Those generally don't get rebored to often.

#40 · (Edited)
Geesh...I'm glad I didn't. but I see there are also hones made with silicon carbide. I doubt it's coated as it's been bored out 1mm. I'm pretty sure it's the stock sleeve in the cylinder.

For something seemingly so simple it just gets more and more complicated. More research.....

this one claims to be compatible with XR200r 2000 not my TW though Oh well...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-Hone-Cylinder-Ball-Hone-65-67mm-for-Motorcycle/253702670868?fits=Model%3AXR200R&epid=1745488468&hash=item3b11db8a14:g:iV0AAOSw0O9bK8QP

#42 · (Edited)
Don't trust either eBay's or Amazons compatibility list. They are right as much as they are wrong.

You can and should hone either type type of cylinder if replacing the rings. There is generally a hone, either ball or bar or flap etc. that is made for lined cylinders. The surface is harder in a lined cylinder so if you use a hone for a lined cylinder in an unlined cylinder it will cut faster as there is usually diamond dust or another very hard crystal on it. With a light fast hand you can get away with using it on raw steel or iron. At least so I've been told and seen done first hand without issue but the guy, my buddy rebuilds engines every day all day and has an eye for doing it.

For two stroke cylinders that have ports and nikasil or chrome a flap hone with diamond dust is a better choice as it is less likley that it will "peel-up" the plating at the edge of the ports.. lots of variables. Always research and ask those who have done many if you have access.

#44 · (Edited)
Top end rebuild completed......Success!

We replaced the rings and honed the cylinder. Fresh gaskets and gasket maker again. Weird thing is that after we used an internal micrometer to measure the cylinder and calculate rind end gap, the new rings gaps were a little larger then needed. According to the clymber manual the cylinder was still in spec for the current piston. So no filing needed (shrug). But the cherry on top is we took a 6 hour road trip last week to pick up an older model red shock that's fully adjustable and installed it before the engine was put back in. The shock is a huge improvement.

After some short runs and cool downs we took it up and down the gears for 20 mins and called it a day. A few short bursts of smoke that could be related to old gunk in the muffler or assembly oil. Other then that it ran smooth and clean.

Awesome! It feels good to be the extra hands and researcher in this project giving me more confidence to work on my TW when the time comes. Plus I get my riding partner back on a 200 for the rest of the summer!:) Thank you so much for the great advice and support.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

#45 ·
Looks good. My XT200 is under sprung suspension wise and no noticeable advantage in HP because they are basically the same engine with different tranny (mechanical one) but being about 50 pounds lighter it's a hoot sometimes, i.e. more nimble. Still, when I get back on the TW I feel more confident and stable. Kind of like a bull in a china shop. Charge vs. tip-toe through the tulips. Fun in each their own way. I'm sure your gonna feel the same about the XR vs. TW. Like me, you'll probably still like them both.

#46 ·
Thanks Admiral

I agree that it looks much better now. It's bored 1mm oversized and only a few more CCs resulting, but it is way peppier. Part of that being lower weight and part gearing. It's not easy to keep up with but I'm not far behind. Maybe if I traded the battery for a capacitor and swopped out the tank for a plastic one, but TW tires are too wide to accelerate too quickly or reach too high of speed offroad.. Spur them on all you want but each beast is only as capable as they're bred to be.

The rear suspension is much better now, so at the very least we'll redo the front end with fork oil and at least add spacers to balance out the front end. That is if we have difficulty finding the right springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.