TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Instead of cluttering up other threads I figured it more respectful to talk XT's over here.

To start it off....
Quoted from the oil oil cooler thread
Thanks for the warm welcome, I just want to take a moment to thank mekdad for considering helping us out. After buying my XT I was pretty discouraged to see the lack of aftermarket support for these bikes, but I'm starting to see that there are healthy and devoted communities for just about every oddball machine.
Man racks and cycleracks have racks for us, Clark has tanks, Seat Concepts has seat kits, progressive and a couple other have springs, Racetech has gold valve cartridge emulators there's aunch of other stuff like carb diaphragms gaskets etc...

Then there's a bunch of stuff that fits and works by happy coincidence. 520 chain and sprockets other front ends have been swapped on, XT600 and Yamaha Raptor shocks have been swapped in, stators can and have been rewound for higher output rear disc brakes have been swapped in...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We picked up XT350#3 ( 1990) from LukePacMu on ADV as a parts bike to put XT350#1 (1987) back in running order and spruce up XT350#2 (1990).
When we brought the parts bike home and got to looking at it, it was in too nice a shape not to fix. We started looking for parts. RedDog squared us away with a complete engine and some other pieces for cheap.

XT350#3 on the way home.
0525161942a - Copy (2).jpg

·
Registered
483 Posts
What tires are you guys running on your xt350's? I'm thinking of putting some trials tires front and rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What tires are you guys running on your xt350's? I'm thinking of putting some trials tires front and rear.
I use MT21 front and rear. They work very well for the conditions near me in the east - rocks, roots, leaves, clay, organic soil. I haven't used trials tires since they were standard on 'dual sport' bikes in the late 70's - and they sucked off road - but they are probably better now. I grabbed a set of MT21s shortly after they came out (on a KLX650 if I remember), and never looked back. They were a giant leap from what was available at the time for a DOT approved tire.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks Earthscape. MT21's look good but I'm also looking at the MT43's. Great reviews on these tires for everything but deep mud. Plus they are much cheaper.:D

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I've kinda looked, well okay, I've been drooling over the 350 to 450 cc dual sport bikes for a while now. I rode my 87 TW to work yesterday and the day before and at 65 mph on the freeway, it just isn't in it's comfort zone. I love my TW's, but want more power. I guess I should just shut up and ride my Guzzi when I want to ride to work. But the TW is soooooo much fun to ride.

Reactions: Rider21

·
Registered
483 Posts
I need a chain guard for my newly acquired xt350 if anyone has any idea's. New ones are over $60 for a little piece of plastic.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm taking the Heidenau K60 scouts off. Great tire but my ideal for the mud and rain and roads of the Pacific Northwet. I'm going back to Shinkos or Pirellis.

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
At the Flying Monkey Raley in Zion the Motoz rep was there and many of the adventure riders at the Raley were using the Desert Tractionator. I have used this tire on the WR and it works well in most conditions and is great in sand. I picked up a brochure from the Motoz rep and will be looking at getting one of their adventure tires when the scout 60s wear out on my VStrom.

Reactions: Eatmore Mudd

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts