TW200 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Now, it's just a matter of putting the bike back together.

Here's how the clutch cable is routed. It looks like it's touching the throttle assembly, but there's actually plenty of clearance.
View attachment 204922

I forgot to mention that the XT engine is vented through the timing chain cover on the cylinder head, rather than through a hole in the crank case. The hose routing is a little tight, but there's room for it.
View attachment 204923

And it runs!
View attachment 204924

I hope someone finds thi

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I did the same thing but I kept the complete electronics from the 225 to me made it a lot simpler I was also able to retain the 225 clutch cables and throttle cable
Did you swap over the whole TTR wiring harness, or did you just connect the TTR engine wires to your TW harness? On my XT engine, one of the connectors was different, and it had an extra wire in it.

My next conversion will be on an '87, so it's a completely different electrical system. However... I'm considering swapping the entire XT electrical system on to my TW.

I still have the XT flywheel, stator, trigger, (and a late model TW side cover to house it), along with the full XT wiring harness, and CDI. I also have a complete wiring harness off an '08 TW that would be easier to fit to my bike, if the XT engine wires can be easily spliced in.

I really don't have a problem with the '87 electrical system. I put in a new CDI a couple of years ago, and it runs great!

I'm just thinking that if I ever want to add more lighting, or electrical accessories, I'm going to need a little more power, and it makes sense to do the swap now, while everything is apart. It will also be a good time to paint the frame, if I pull the wiring harness off. ;)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Fantastic write ups from CJ7Pilot and Fred re these Big Bore swaps I really learned a lot from you guys so I thank you for all the pics and info !!!

Interest in the Big Bore Extensions shaft kits has increased dramatically this month so I think people like what they are seeing in your conversion threads

Thanks again and keep up the great work !

other Fred in Arizona aka PlacerLode

PS I also need to thank TWBrian for his threads on the Big Bore conversions also brilliant work !!!

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Only downside I see is that I have been given the understanding that many ( most? all?) TTR 223cc case halves lack the casting that permits installation of a kick starter.
I have not opened my TTR engine to see if this is the case with my otherwise very entertaining and satisfying donor motor.
This caused a return of my original OEM 2003's concern over dependance on battery or push starting. However adding a quality LiPo4 battery has greatly lessened those worries when solo in the back country. The lithium battery spins faster and starts motor quicker than lead acid or AGM with longer cranking reserve power.
This concern is more than offset by the fun afforded by that 6th gear. With a lower first and taller sixth gear ratios I have extended dynamic range with the ability to creep slowly over the nasties yet with enough top end speed to ride with buddies on 250cc machines without them getting too bored waiting for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you find an engine that can accept the TW clutch cable bracket, and want to use it, then you'll need to swap over the clutch actuating arm as well. You can change that arm by removing the retaining screw shown here:
View attachment 204912

This needs to be done before replacing the side cover.
So If I have this right, if I were to put an XT225 cylinder on a TW200 bottom end, I would need to swap the TW200 clutch actuating arm with the XT225 one and use an XT225 clutch cable and route it the way the XT225 has it routed?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So If I have this right, if I were to put an XT225 cylinder on a TW200 bottom end, I would need to swap the TW200 clutch actuating arm with the XT225 one and use an XT225 clutch cable and route it the way the XT225 has it routed?
Only if it's a later model XT225 cylinder with the larger cooling fins.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
No, this is not necessary. The TW clutch cable bracket will work just fine with a TTR225 or XT225 cylinder, so there is no need to change the routing of the clutch cable or to swap out the clutch actuating arm.

Edit: I stand corrected. Looking back at CJ7Pilot's pictures, it does appear that his later model XT cylinder is different that the TTR225 and XT225 engines that I have done my conversions with. I apologize for the confusion.

Brian

·
Registered
72 Posts
No, this is not necessary. The TW clutch cable bracket will work just fine with a TTR225 or XT225 cylinder, so there is no need to change the routing of the clutch cable or to swap out the clutch actuating arm.
Roger that. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since the XT engine has no oil passage to lubricate the countershaft support bearing, the original open ball bearing must be replaced with a sealed ball bearing. The screws that hold the bearing retainer are tough to break loose, but with an impact driver like the one shown here, it doesn't take long.
View attachment 204905

I pried the seal out, then pulled the bearing with the contraption shown here. It's just a ground down carriage bolt with some nuts and spacers... crude, but effective.
View attachment 204906

Then I pressed in a new sealed bearing. A hydraulic press works nicely for this.
View attachment 204907

Since I had another original seal on hand, I packed some grease behind it, and pressed it in as extra protection.
View attachment 204908

I re-installed the bearing retainer, and the side cover is ready to go!
View attachment 204909
Now, it's just a matter of putting the bike back together.

Here's how the clutch cable is routed. It looks like it's touching the throttle assembly, but there's actually plenty of clearance.
View attachment 204922

I forgot to mention that the XT engine is vented through the timing chain cover on the cylinder head, rather than through a hole in the crank case. The hose routing is a little tight, but there's room for it.
View attachment 204923

And it runs!
View attachment 204924

I hope someone finds this helpful. ;)
Where can i get a countershaft extension from please..

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
You can contact Placerlode directly, he is the one who had them produced. Just scroll up until you see his last post on this thread, click his username, and send him a message. (y)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts