TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1982 XT200 has stock exhaust and air filter. The jetting is basic Yamaha specs. The carb has recently spent time in ultrasonic bath with solution of carb dip and water. Fuel level in float bowl seems to be spot on.

The bike idles fine and runs well at higher RPM. The problem is running at low RPM, say 2,300 a 2,800 RPM. The bike will run fine for about 30-40 seconds at this speed then die. This can be replicated consistently.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
75 Posts
On my XT200 I had to set my pilot screw to 3 turns out and adjust the float level to 24 mm to get it to run right at low throttle positions. I also moved my needle clip up half a position too. Even with all that, it is still 'cold blooded' on cold starts and takes a long time to warm up. Before those adjustments it would run really lean down low, cough and sputter and even stall out.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Long shot but make sure your gas cap is venting properly (not even sure if XT caps have vents or tubes).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Long shot but make sure your gas cap is venting properly (not even sure if XT caps have vents or tubes).
The XT vents through the caps. I wheeled mine out of the cool garage the other day into the blazing sun and 34*C heat and I could hear it venting through the cap...and could smell the fumes too, LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts