TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently doing an xt225 engine build.

The clutch basket has the primary gear on back that is held on by 6 rivets. Removing the rivets and taking off the back plate exposes the 6 rubber clutch cushions. They have shrunk and need to be replaced. My research for replacement cushions has been a long one so far.
The aluminum posts are an oval shape and are tappered. Wider at the bottom compared to the top.
A Wiseco cushion # W6243 is for a yz125 & yz250.
The center oval fits the xt225 post perfectly. It is only 30mm outside diameter. The xt225 takes a 32mm O.D.

The fine folks at Hinson took the time to measure some of their cushions. Came up very close, but not quite there.

The yz450f is the closest. Only measured the Hinson cushion. The problem is the inside oval has straight walls. Could easily make a shim to compensate for the slight bigger oval if it was similarly tappered like the xt225 and yz posts.

Questions:
Does anyone have or know anyone with a yz450f who might have an old basket that can be looked at? Or any other bike that uses a cushion that is shown in the attachments.
The written numbers on the drawing are from the Hinson cushions fir a yz450f.

It would also be great if some with an old Tdub clutch basket coul drill out the rivets on the back plate and give measurements of the Tdub cushions.

This might be a good winter fireside project.

Thanks.

a
Grey Wood Art Font Tints and shades
Automotive tire Wood Circle Automotive wheel system Auto part
Automotive tire Body jewelry Wood Gear Rim
Eye Wood Artifact Gear Font
Automotive tire Grey Gesture Tints and shades Font
Automotive tire Wood Font Gas Circle

· Registered
Pleasanton, CA
6,319 Posts
MrBracket is the only one that I can recall dealing with the TW's clutch basket cush drive. See the following thread beginning with at post #250.

Unfortunately most (all?) of his pictures were lost due to the Photobucket fiasco from a number of years ago.

· Administrator
6,937 Posts

Hinson Cushion set CU216

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
I'm not sure that's a TW200 clutch. The OP references a CB. I'm presuming a Honda CB of some sort?

The reference to loctite 292 and the bolt head style is another give-away this isn't a TW200 clutch basket since it's riveted and not bolted together.

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Hey John, just thinking out loud here, how about some sort of RTV or other filler to restore the original bumpers to full size again? Maybe make a mold of the gear hole and pour some Liquid Rubber in to fill the gap, then use in the clutch or just pour in the assembly as-is?

Or buy the YZ450F bumpers and use a liquid rubber product to fill the taper. Less to fill there than an outer diameter that shrunk.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got off the phone with a large supplier of aftermarket clutch cushions. The person is working with me to try to find a cushion that will work on the xt225. Has one that has potential. He'll be back monday and will continue looking at the different cushions to see if they have one that is even a closer fit.

Will post any new info.

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Hey John, I was reading this post again,
I might try and make some spacers (thin washers) to put between the the aluminum clutch basket and the cush rubbers. That way when I rivet it back together the rubbers will get squished and swell up. Making the whole assembly tight again..
and it got me thinking about what you said about the XT225 clutch basket you are working on. When peening the clutch back together, the rubber bumper is squished, meaning it's thicker than the cavity between the basket and the gear. I assume the oval stand-off is taller and the gear doesn't squish the rubber bumper under normal conditions. MrBracket's solution by squishing the bumper causes it to squish out to fill the shrink gap. But wouldn't it also squish out and fill the taper fit of the oval stand-off post?

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey John, just thinking out loud here, how about some sort of RTV or other filler to restore the original bumpers to full size again? Maybe make a mold of the gear hole and pour some Liquid Rubber in to fill the gap, then use in the clutch or just pour in the assembly as-is?

Or buy the YZ450F bumpers and use a liquid rubber product to fill the taper. Less to fill there than an outer diameter that shrunk.
The solution to using the yz450f cushion would be to fill the center post with J-B weld and make it more of a permanent fix. Any chipping or peeeling of the JBweld would be retained within the post area and not get loose into the engine. J-B Weld can also withstand the temperatures and give true proper compression of the cushion. Very easy to do.
I just discussed this with a major cushion suppler. He is also going to look at other cushions of the same style that are for other bikes.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey John, I was reading this post again,

and it got me thinking about what you said about the XT225 clutch basket you are working on. When peening the clutch back together, the rubber bumper is squished, meaning it's thicker than the cavity between the basket and the gear. I assume the oval stand-off is taller and the gear doesn't squish the rubber bumper under normal conditions. MrBracket's solution by squishing the bumper causes it to squish out to fill the shrink gap. But wouldn't it also squish out and fill the taper fit of the oval stand-off post?

The cushions are not thicker than the posts. They float a bit inside. The plate sits against the primary gear and the posts with no rubber needing to be slightly compressed.

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
The cushions are not thicker than the posts. They float a bit inside. The plate sits against the primary gear and the posts with no rubber needing to be slightly compressed.
So MrBracket's solution to shim up the rubber would cause the gear to squish the bumper and get it to fill the gap. Could this also be applied to the YZ450F bumpers: shim them up and squish to fill the straight walled center oval to the taper of the basket?
Just thinking out loud...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts