TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
23,607 Posts
Looked interesting until I saw the price, the lack of kickstarter and a TTR type crankcase vent. Free shipping at least but while some '94 Serows lack a kicker I fear a little product misrepresentation here. Here is how I believe a typical '94 XT225 Serow vents it's crankcase, not via the case covers but via a fitting on the cam inspection cover.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Machine Auto part

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said, just passing it along. They aren't as cheap or plentiful as they once were. Seller makes no representation beyond "running". From personal experience, I can attest that buying a complete engine is waaaay less expensive than piecing one together. I'm piecing one together. YMMV.

· Registered
23,607 Posts
I trust you folks better than Google whose search engine for "94 xt225 engine" retrieved photos for me of engines with both kick starter as well as the cam cover vent. Should have known since search engine results had many unrelated other photos. Apologies for assumption that pedigree for engine in add may have been misrepresented.

· Registered
23,607 Posts
CJ7Pilot gave me his project XT250 engine. That would be close to a TTR, right?
Only a 5-speed and still needing some research to get CDI/Stator/Flywheel to all play happily together it will eventually go into one of my TWs...still debating which though.
First though I want to get caught up on Betty Boop's suspension up-geade to hopefully exceed Nibbler's longer travel suspension for stroke and feel. Just got triple clamps back from machinist bored for CJ7PILOT's
36mm TTR225 forks. Tapered steering head bearings all ready to go. Matching rear shock/spring combo ready to go requiring only a little swing arm grinding to clear the nittrogen reservoir. I just need commitment and fewer other distractions in life.
Late Fall weather is just too tempting to ride rather than wrench.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
I just made a deal on the OP engine, plus the front engine mount. Didn’t pay sticker price, and free shipping. It’ll be a while before I do the swap, but I already have the output shaft. I’ll need a new clutch cable, and a kicker. This’ll be fun.

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
CJ7Pilot gave me his project XT250 engine. That would be close to a TTR, right?
Only a 5-speed and still needing some research to get CDI/Stator/Flywheel to all play happily together it will eventually go into one of my TWs...still debating which though.
First though I want to get caught up on Betty Boop's suspension up-geade to hopefully exceed Nibbler's longer travel suspension for stroke and feel. Just got triple clamps back from machinist bored for CJ7PILOT's
36mm TTR225 forks. Tapered steering head bearings all ready to go. Matching rear shock/spring combo ready to go requiring only a little swing arm grinding to clear the nittrogen reservoir. I just need commitment and fewer other distractions in life.
Late Fall weather is just too tempting to ride rather than wrench.
Geez Fred, what did you do? Sleep with the guy?! Ha!
That's quite the score you got there.
In the meantime, weather has been great, but I've worked every day getting the homestead ready for winter ❄. Little time to ride but I should be ready by the time ski resorts open fully.

How easy was it to get a TW200 triple clamp bored to 36mm? I have a set needing done. Can you send me your machinist contact info and how much it costs?

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
I just made a deal on the OP engine, plus the front engine mount. Didn’t pay sticker price, and free shipping. It’ll be a while before I do the swap, but I already have the output shaft. I’ll need a new clutch cable, and a kicker. This’ll be fun.
Congratulations 👏🎉
You can use the TW clutch cable. Just get a clutch arm off eBay. They are cheap. One screw holds it in. Easiest swap ever.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
Congratulations 👏🎉
You can use the TW clutch cable. Just get a clutch arm off eBay. They are cheap. One screw holds it in. Easiest swap ever.
Thank you sir. I’ve not even started, and I’m learning already. So, are you saying that even though the ‘94 XT225 has the clutch arm on the left side, I still need to swap in a TW200 arm?

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you sir. I’ve not even started, and I’m learning already. So, are you saying that even though the ‘94 XT250 has the clutch arm on the left side, I still need to swap in a TW200 arm?
There are 2 types of clutch arrangements for the XT225. The one you have pulls the lever straight ahead and the cable attaches to the left side of the cylinder base. You should be able to use your TW cable for this. The other style pulls toward 2:00 and there's a bracket that bolts on where the case halves meet. For that arrangement you would need an XT225 cable, which is an easy swap and pretty inexpensive. That's the style I have on mine. Some guys with the later style swap out the clutch arm for a TW arm and reuse their TW bracket. You essentially already have that. No need to swap any parts that I can see. The differences are illustrated in posts #22 and #57 here Do As I Say, Not As I Do .

XT with cross-pull on left, TW with forward pull on the right:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

· Premium Member
286 Posts
^^* Thank you sir.

· Registered
23,607 Posts
I re-used the TW clutch lever and cable on my engine swap. With the XT225 tankard faux radiator air scoops the TW clutch cable routing became somewhat tight around hand guards, horn and air-scoop brackets.
Would the routing of clutch cable on right side of engine been easier, or is one up against an already crowded steering head mess of wiring?

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Thank you sir. I’ve not even started, and I’m learning already. So, are you saying that even though the ‘94 XT250 has the clutch arm on the left side, I still need to swap in a TW200 arm?
Not XT250, XT225.
Yes. The XT225 clutch arm, where the clutch cable attaches at the motor, is clocked different from the TW200. The TW200 has the cable pulling straight ahead and the XT225 is about 90 degrees clock-wise. Because of that, the XT225 clutch cable runs on the right side of the motor and uses an attachment at the crankcase halves. The TW200 clutch cable runs on the left side of the motor and uses an attachment that bolts to 2 of the cylinder bolts. By replacing the clutch arm, either with the one in your current TW200 motor, or a used part off eBay like the one I linked to, you can keep your TW200 clutch cable and arrangement. You can either swap over the clutch bracket or find one on eBay as well so that you can keep the TW200 motor intact. I chose to keep my TW200 motor completely intact so it's ready to plug-n-play if I ever need to swap back for any reason.
Here's a link to one on eBay. As you can see, this part, along with the clutch arm I linked earlier, are pretty cheap and Ihink worth getting in order to keep the TW200 motor complete.

I see Fred and Mistervelocity already answered the question, but I wanted to give my take on it as well.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
Thanks Ski Pro, I fixed my typo. Appreciate the knowledge.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

Here’s a close up of the ‘94 XT225 motor which I purchased, for reference.

Reactions: Mistervelocity
1 - 20 of 30 Posts