TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan to do a 225 conversion of the TW200. Donor bike is an XT225 Kickstart only.

I've been reading the threads and based on them, I need the ff:

• engine cases
  • Crank shaft
  • Balancer shaft
  • cylinder
  • timing chain
  • cylinder head
  • cam timing chain sprocket
  • piston and piston ring
So my question is, does the XT225 Kickstart only, have the same engine as the newer Serows? Will the donor parts fit the TW?

Many thanks and looking forward to the responses.

·
Registered
20,722 Posts
Could you not just put one of PlacerLode's output shaft extensions on coupled with the TW's flywheel, stator and left side cover on the XT's engine? Avoids splitting the cases & any machining so you can more quickly go for a ride.
As far as parts compatibility between different models & years try looking at part number listings from any of the major part vendors. Boats.net before they dropped motorcycle parts offered a nice cross reference for part interchangeability.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Hey Booster,

What year is your donor XT225?

The fact that it does not have an electric starter makes me think that it might be an earlier model which may not be compatible for transplanting into a TW200.

Brian

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
yeah, i was thinking the xt225 was rather like the T-dub... few changes across 20+ yrs. i bet kicker only was an alter-ego model for other continents...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could you not just put one of PlacerLode's output shaft extensions on coupled with the TW's flywheel, stator and left side cover on the XT's engine? Avoids splitting the cases & any machining so you can more quickly go for a ride.
As far as parts compatibility between different models & years try looking at part number listings from any of the major part vendors. Boats.net before they dropped motorcycle parts offered a nice cross reference for part interchangeability.
Would have preferred that but the engine has been taken apart already. Was looking at the output shaft extensions option as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Booster,

What year is your donor XT225?

The fact that it does not have an electric starter makes me think that it might be an earlier model which may not be compatible for transplanting into a TW200.

Brian
Based on the posts by the Serow guys, it might be an 85-85 unit. Wondering if the engine would be the same considering the absence of an electric start. It shouldn't but you never know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i was thinking the xt225 was rather like the T-dub... few changes across 20+ yrs. i bet kicker only was an alter-ego model for other continents...
That's what I'm hoping for. It hardly changed, even cosmetically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts