TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the XT225. I ride an 1100cc street bike and a 700cc quad and am still very comfortable at high speeds and difficult situations on them. I have a ton more fear factor on this tiny little bike. I just can't seem to get used to it. In the thread " Why Not An XT250 ", several guys chimed in saying they had the XT225 and loved the 6th gear. I live in a small town, but still lots of stop signs and lights. I find I am doing nothing but shifting constantly. Haven't been on the freeway with it, ( where 6th would be good ), and so I never use 5th or 6th around town. Plus 1st and 2nd wind up so quick that I have to shift them immediately. It just seems more frustrating than the ride is worth. Literally I have to shift from 1st to 2nd by the time I cross the street in front of my house.

One other thing is that I'm constantly worried that the little engine is just going to implode on me as it makes so much noise. Not just tappet noise, but whole engine noise, it quiets mostly with revs, but it's just so clunky it keeps my mind on it.

Are the above questions/concerns just me and the answer is, " Welcome to the one cylinder Thumber world ". The bike only has 500 miles on it. Thanks

Kenny4

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If you are going to ride trails , you want the low gearing. The motor sounds totally different than a multi cylinder bike.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
For around town with lots of stop and go's, I prefer my X-Max Scooter :geek:

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is normal drive the shit out of it. they will go for years. only way to make the engine quiet is to use lots of heavy cast iron in the build of the engine. aluminum does not dampen the sounds of the engine and combustion

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would think twice about taking an XT on the highway.
Yes....it will make speed BUT they are such a lightweight bike - even lighter than the TW - and you get blown around like a leaf in a windstorm.

I really liked my XT (the 225, not the 250). The engine was the same as the TW, so it was familiar territory as far as repairs and ease of maintenance.
I had concerns about the rear hub and the fact that it couldn't go two-up even after beefing up the rear spring....other than that, it was a great bike for solo riding!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I put MANY thousands of miles on all the little dual sport bikes over the years. IF your bike isn't already busted up inside and IF you take proper care of it, it will handle sustained 60 mph highway use with no trouble at all. You will want to keep an eye on the oil level and make sure you're adding as necessary (check it with the bike held perfectly upright on a perfectly level surface and when the engine is completely cold for best results and most consistency), as these little old air cooled singles do tend to burn a bit of oil.

That said, from what you've said, you might just not really like little dual sports. It might not be the right bike for you and what you want to do/how you want to ride. If you're worried about the bike, don't be (again, assuming the particular one you bought isn't already thrashed inside). If it just seems like a chore to you and you're not having fun -- go get a different bike.

My two cents... :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought the XT225. I ride an 1100cc street bike and a 700cc quad and am still very comfortable at high speeds and difficult situations on them. I have a ton more fear factor on this tiny little bike. I just can't seem to get used to it. In the thread " Why Not An XT250 ", several guys chimed in saying they had the XT225 and loved the 6th gear. I live in a small town, but still lots of stop signs and lights. I find I am doing nothing but shifting constantly. Haven't been on the freeway with it, ( where 6th would be good ), and so I never use 5th or 6th around town. Plus 1st and 2nd wind up so quick that I have to shift them immediately. It just seems more frustrating than the ride is worth. Literally I have to shift from 1st to 2nd by the time I cross the street in front of my house.

One other thing is that I'm constantly worried that the little engine is just going to implode on me as it makes so much noise. Not just tappet noise, but whole engine noise, it quiets mostly with revs, but it's just so clunky it keeps my mind on it.

Are the above questions/concerns just me and the answer is, " Welcome to the one cylinder Thumber world ". The bike only has 500 miles on it. Thanks

Kenny4

Currently have 08 TW, 07 XT225, 14 XT250 & Beta200 trials bike & trailer them to dirt. The dual sports in AZ & where I ride is dirt forest road & dirt single track - only ride pavement to connect dirt trails. My riding preference is the more challenging technical trails & cruising for miles on FR's. Both XT's have front & rear Cogent Dynamics suspension upgrades & real dirt bike tires. All 3 are in the 30"-31" seat height which I have determined is best for me at 66 yrs old to be able to put both feet down as needed on technical trails.

My conclusion on the XT225: low first & second gear is needed for slow rocky climbs. 6th speed rarely gets used in dirt. At 40ish lbs lighter than the XT250, it is my go-to bike for gnarly trails or events with potentially tough trails as also is the TW. The 225 is the nimblest & most fun of them all.

The XT250: with FI & discs, is comfy at greater distances, smoother, quieter, a joy to shift & ride. I ride 5k-8k feet elevation often & this has instant throttle response & snappy low end torque. You can feel the added weight over the XT225 when in technical terrain but the offsetting crisp throttle is an advantage is snapping the bike back upright.

TW: does it all, heavy wheels & steering feel but that is good on the unplanned/unavoidable rock hits. Great overall machine & I trust it in any situation.

....maybe thats more than 2 cents.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts