• XT All Day!

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was going to sell this tank to recoup some $ for my eventual 225 build. Then i looked at a couple of threads with the xt225 tanks on, couple grey, couple white, and thought: damn that looks pretty nice!!
Then looked at my bike and saw my plastics were black, just with blue stickers. Only knock so far is the blue upper section of my seat. So what you guys/gals think, look weird with the blue seat?
Seems xt tank pulls more $ on ebay than the tw tank, but not many tw tanks to go by. What would one expect to get for the tw tank like mine? If the difference ain't much, may try the xt route.

Decisions, decisions, lol...:confused2: Poll up top for fun, lol!

20180412_185128.jpg 20180628_073951_1530193838699.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well took my a while to fish the old gas cap pieces out of the tank last night and then i filled it with evapo-rust, since it had a nice layer of surface rust. Already looked clean inside this morning. May go take a look at lunch. Need to go find my pocket knife anyway. 2yr old picked it up and made off with it at some point, so now its buried treasure somewhere outside. Wonder if there is any interest for the stock tank?

Anybody have experience derusting a tank? Last time i did one, i dried it with a heat gun after rinsing and it immediately flash rusted. Not enough to concern me, but annoying. I'm thinking maybe rinse it out with water to get the evapo-rust out and then maybe wd-40 this time, to displace the water. Then let it air dry...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I've never done this but I came across some stuff researching building a gas tank....

There are resin coating kits just for gas tanks available to seal remaining rust damage. You can always run an inline filter as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never done this but I came across some stuff researching building a gas tank....

There are resin coating kits just for gas tanks available to seal remaining rust damage. You can always run an inline filter as well.
I dont need to seal it. The evapo-rust frees it all from the tank, its just light rust. But, after drying it, the fresh bare metal will flash rust, with a light surface rust. Its mostly just annoying, you add gas back and it never really gets any worse, as long as you use 100% gas anyway, lol. Well, and dont let it sit forever.

Anyway, just seems like i remember someone saying once they used wd-40 to displace the water and leave a light coating to keep it from flash rusting. I may go ahead and try it out anyway. Nice thing about evapo-rust is you can re-use it. Also, its biodegradable and non-toxic.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'd set the XT tank in place on the TW and see how it looks as-is.

It has a blue stripe which matches the front of your seat, the silver matches your frame, and the lower black stripe should flow nicely in to your black side panels.

I think it will look great! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
From memory – I think that Fred had / has the XT tank on one of his bikes – and rather “swish” it looks too

Also from memory – I believe he lost one of the side / air flow / pretty bits at one stage, so if you do go down that route, take the man’s advice

Re your existing tank – several people here have done wonders re-sealing / restoring the inside of their tanks, so it can be done – but re-sale value is likely to reflect the quality of the final finish

To that end, if you do decide to “re-seal” the inside of your TW tank (for whatever reason), I’d recommend starting a thread dedicated to doing so – you’ll get better advice, and a better finish because of this …..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From memory – I think that Fred had / has the XT tank on one of his bikes – and rather “swish” it looks too

Also from memory – I believe he lost one of the side / air flow / pretty bits at one stage, so if you do go down that route, take the man’s advice

Re your existing tank – several people here have done wonders re-sealing / restoring the inside of their tanks, so it can be done – but re-sale value is likely to reflect the quality of the final finish

To that end, if you do decide to “re-seal” the inside of your TW tank (for whatever reason), I’d recommend starting a thread dedicated to doing so – you’ll get better advice, and a better finish because of this …..
Thanks for the info. I dumped out the evapo-rust from the XT tank at lunch. All the rust was gone, save for a tiny bit in two corners, not enough to be concerned with. I then rinsed it real well with water and after that sprayed quite a bit of generic wd-40 in the tank to keep it from flash rusting. I sloshed that all around and closed her up and came back to work. Really impressed with how it came out.

If i decide to go with the XT tank, i may do my TW tank again to remove the flash rust it received when i treated it, and follow same procedure i did on the XT. Provided the WD-40 doesnt give me any issues. I plan to give it a couple rinses with some gas to remove most of the WD-40, before i put it into service.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I mashed the tank puck tabs in, instead of cutting them. So I could bend back out if I ever want to go back stock. Just threw the tank and seat on to see if I like. Think it might actually look better than stock...

Does put a wrinkle in seat, hoping that smooths out with time. Have to push down pretty hard on the seat to get it on, tempted to heat up the seat plastic with a heat gun and form it a little bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
2006 TW with a 2005 XT tank, that's the exact combo on my dad's bike. i think it looks sharp. further, my bike has 2006 TW plastic with a 2005 XT tank, but an all black seat. looks sharp!
i also think it looks better than the stock tank, plus with 1/2 gallon more, what's not to like?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
2006 TW with a 2005 XT tank, that's the exact combo on my dad's bike. i think it looks sharp. further, my bike has 2006 TW plastic with a 2005 XT tank, but an all black seat. looks sharp!
i also think it looks better than the stock tank, plus with 1/2 gallon more, what's not to like?
I think i like it too, lol. I've looked at your bike quite a bit for inspiration. Reason i have 2 225's sitting in the corner waiting to be built, lol. Now i need to get the tire, hand guards, and risers on, that have been collecting dust in the corner. :eek: Too many projects, lol. I finally got the front pods and led headlight in not too long ago, was too hairy at night with old stock light.

Have you ever had any issues with the side plastic, now that doesnt pop into the tank? Did you do anything to hold the front of it down?

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
"Have you ever had any issues with the side plastic, now that doesnt pop into the tank? Did you do anything to hold the front of it down?"
-For left side cover I glued a small strong rare earth magnet to cover that then grabs metal tank. For right side I cut a slot in top web of right side plastic cover that engages metal tank flange. Both have held up well for about 3 years other than magnet can collect magnetite dust over time. Either technique might work on both sides, I was just experimenting with different approaches on my tank.

Seat fabric wrinkles are usually not self healing. Removing a few staples at the nose and re-stretching fabric then new staples can help. I used dremel tool to cut some of the reinforcing webbing on backside of seat pan to increase seat pan flexibility permitting greater ease of seat installation.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Have you ever had any issues with the side plastic, now that doesnt pop into the tank? Did you do anything to hold the front of it down?"
-For left side cover I glued a small strong rare earth magnet to cover that then grabs metal tank. For right side I cut a slot in top web of right side plastic cover that engages metal tank flange. Both have held up well for about 3 years other than magnet can collect magnetite dust over time. Either technique might work on both sides, I was just experimenting with different approaches on my tank.

Seat fabric wrinkles are usually not self healing. Removing a few staples at the nose and re-stretching fabric then new staples can help. I used dremel tool to cut some of the reinforcing webbing on backside of seat pan to increase seat pan flexibility permitting greater ease of seat installation.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to look at that next chance i get some time.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
i trimmed the top of of my seat pan about 2" to come up the xt tank a bit less.

for my plastic i actually cut the tabs off of my old worn plastic and glued them on the new plastics so the tabs fit in the correct holes.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My side plastics have had no attachment points with my xt350 tank for several years, and have never caused a problem.
Seat wrinkles are best dealt with by having an accessory (tank) bag cover them up. I use an old cd carrier for papers, emergency stuff and ???

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
i trimmed the top of of my seat pan about 2" to come up the xt tank a bit less.

for my plastic i actually cut the tabs off of my old worn plastic and glued them on the new plastics so the tabs fit in the correct holes.
Wow the glue holds huh. Figured you'd have to plastic weld or something. I'll have to look at trimming, and cutting some support out. Or maybe heat it up and form back some.

Any photos of the cut seat?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well i put my TW tank up for sale in the classifieds. Just be warned, its a long read, lol. Just wanted anyone getting it, to go in eyes wide open. :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts