TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I need to refurb the piston seals in my xt350's front brake caliper. Brakes were spongy so I bled the line, but still spongy. Took off the caliper assembly and pads and when I went to push the piston back in, there is some seepage of brake fluid.

Would I just need #5 on this page, or #4 too? Or something else in addition to 4 or 5?

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1999-yamaha-xt350-xt350l-front-brake-caliper/o/m145974sch112081

My team lead at work used to be a motorcycle and car mechanic before he got into IT, so I can bounce the actual process off of him. Just wanted to get this lovely forum's opinions on needed parts before ordering.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Provided that your piston is not pitted or scored & the caliper bore is in good shape , you should only need to order #5 being the seals only .
If you remove the caliper from the bike you'll want to order crush washers for the brake line banjo fitting.
I'd tear it down first & inspect parts , then order.

Good luck : )

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Provided that your piston is not pitted or scored & the caliper bore is in good shape , you should only need to order #5 being the seals only .
If you remove the caliper from the bike you'll want to order crush washers for the brake line banjo fitting.
I'd tear it down first & inspect parts , then order.

Good luck : )
Will do.

I might only suggest that if the rubber in your calipers are gone you might want to have a good look at the condition of the master cylinder as well.
He looked at everything and said only the caliper piston seal needs attention. I'll run w/ that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts