1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Couldn't get your link to work. So to compare models, I went to Rocky Mountain ATV/MC website for a 50T rear sprocket (JT) for a 2005 TW and 2000 XT350. The 50T had the exact same part number for both motorcycles. With this I'd say the bolt patterns must match.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right on, that confirms my suspicion

I've done alot of searching around, and the 55 seems to be the largest sprocket I can drum up without much difficulty or detriment to my wallet. Unfortunate too, since a 15/59 would be optimal..

I even went as far as contacting jt sprockets asking for a quote on a 59t and they denied my request :(

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Custom made sprockets. Any size, any material, but they cost.

On the home page it says "Sidewinder steel sprockets $19.99". That seems to cheap to be true. I typed in Yamaha, TW200, 60 tooth, 428 chain, and it stayed at $19.99. A 60 tooth steel sprocket for $20 seems a steal ( a pun!) . I wonder what the catch is ?

Sprocket | Chain | Motorcycles Sprocket | ATV Sprocket

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
In my opinion, you seam to be going though a lot of trouble all for a 15 counter sprocket which will not do as much as you think in saving wear on your chain. Your way over thinking this. "Maybe" get a few hundred extra miles out of a quality O or X Ring chain that will last over 10k miles if taken care of. Very little to no gain. There are no issues with staying with the stock 14 tooth. I'm just sayin, do as you wish though. Just tryin to save ya money and greef. Plus, you'll need a longer chain, so that will cost more. Miles per money spent, you'll end up loosing. Nit picking wear? How about the added stress to the counter shaft bearings and seals due to bigger front sprocket having extra leverage adding stress to it. Where there are gains, there are losses. Pick the less of 2 evils. Don't think it halfway.

If you must, plenty of larger rear TW sprockets on Amazon and ebay. Very good prices too....;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my opinion, you seam to be going though a lot of trouble all for a 15 counter sprocket which will not do as much as you think in saving wear on your chain. Your way over thinking this. "Maybe" get a few hundred extra miles out of a quality O or X Ring chain that will last over 10k miles if taken care of. Very little to no gain. There are no issues with staying with the stock 14 tooth. I'm just sayin, do as you wish though. Just tryin to save ya money and greef. Plus, you'll need a longer chain, so that will cost more. Miles per money spent, you'll end up loosing. Nit picking wear? How about the added stress to the counter shaft bearings and seals due to bigger front sprocket having extra leverage adding stress to it. Where there are gains, there are losses. Pick the less of 2 evils. Don't think it halfway.

If you must, plenty of larger rear TW sprockets on Amazon and ebay. Very good prices too....;)
I agree with you Werloc. At the moment I am not in need of a chain, sprockets or anything new.. The bike has 3000km on it. I am trying to source replacement parts before I move out of town. I like the D.I.D. chain and am interested in getting more low end torque, so either way I'm going to end up with a new chain and sprockets soon. It has been a mission to find a bigger back sprocket.. And the gains may be negligible, but if it wasn't so hard to find it would be a great option. That being said, a chian and sprocket is easier to replace than a countershaft seal. I appreciate that word of wisdom.

The older I get the more I realize that some things just can't be had, and time can almost always be spent in a better way (like riding the motorcycle instead of reading about it)

a 14/55 will most likely be my end result, but it's been fun learning about the subject of chain wear in my quest for larger sprockets.

·
Registered
296 Posts
These are the JT Sprocket brand part numbers. I have tried all of the front sprockets and a few of the rear sprockets so i know they fit and work properly.

Front
13T.....JTF575.13 (The chain will hit the sprocket retainer with this one. Modification to the retainer may have to be done. DAYOR)
14T.....JTF575.14
15T.....JTF575.15
16T.....JTF575.16

Rear
40T.....JTR845.40
41T.....JTR845.41
43T.....JTR845.43
45T.....JTR845.45
46T.....JTR845.46
47T.....JTR845.47
48T.....JTR845.48
49T.....JTR845.49

For your gear ratio, divide the rear sprocket by the front sprocket
Closest to stock is 14-41(2.92) or 16-46(2.87)

I have found that https://www.bikertrends.com/ has them cheaper than ANYWHERE else online, even ebay (most of the time) AND they are FREE SHIPPING!!!! You cant beat that.

This was my post on the XT350 forum. I guarantee everything will fit on the tw. Honestly, 520 is the way to go. The bigger chain leads to less stress and wear on the whole sprocket/chain system. Ive converted my TW and all my XT to 520 and never thought twice about it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is intriguing. And a little confusing. Just to clarify, are these sprockets completely different from 428 aside from the bolt pattern? These are 520 sprockets, yes? :cool:

I have to admit I did not think of changing chain size in terms of links.

The xt350 sprockets I was looking at were definitely 428.

My final question is this: What are we looking at for increased shaft seal/ bearing wear running more weight on the final drive?

Thanks, this looks to be a great way towards solving my quest!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Those numbers are for 520 sprockets to go from stock (Both the XT and TW) 428 chain, to a slightly beefier 520 chain. So yes, they are completly different. The TW is 14/50 (3.57) stock. The equal in 520 is 13/47. As for increased wear, im sure its nothing to worry about. Id be way more concerned about the weight of the rider than driveline mass.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awesome. Looks like the 13/49 tooth combo is closest to the ration I want. Equates to the 14/52 with stock sprockets.

checks out good for wear too. 13 rotations on the front and 49 on the rear for the same tooth to touch the same link on the chain, at 124 links. Hopefully this is the correct size, as it shows a negative wear pattern with 126 links or higher. Can you confirm link amount required to fit the TW200?

Many thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love the D.I.D. VX chain. Have installed it on three different bikes all with great results. The gold/black finish is nice, when the chain is clean :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
flyhunter3825 - I would like to go with the 14/49 on my '87 TW. BikerTrends has 520 o-ring chain but only up to 96 links. What number of links is required for the 14/49 combo on the TW? I am lost on how to calculate the chain length in 520. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts