TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Not mine either, but it looks like its the right price range and in decent shape. For $40 bucks you can experiment. The conversion to xt350 tank is not permanent, but likely to be because it works so well. Tom

·
Registered
250 Posts
WOW, just figured the capacity. 3+ gallons!! I like!!! lol
Yep, almost 3.2 gallons! It's a HUGE improvement over the stock 1.8 gallon tank. I stopped to put gas in it after 120 miles of 50+mph speeds and still had 1.1 gallons left. I could easily get over 200 miles riding trails and backroads.

·
Registered
250 Posts
How is it fit wise? Any mods or a straight bolt-on affair?
You have to mod it just a little bit. This shows you how I relocated the rear bolt location. Super simple with some 1" flat bar, a hammer, and a drill.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/5933-synopsis-xt350-tank-install-3.html#post91874

As far as the final fit, this picture shows it pretty well. I didn't cut the seat down or anything so there's a slight gap between the tank and seat. It's really not too noticeable. I didn't do anything to the side plastics either and they're holding up just fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh, it sounded in your other thread like the seat has to be modded too, since not it's game on! I'll be watching for one then. Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It can be modded, but I decided not to deal with it since it's on there and looks somewhat decent. I'm moving on to other projects for the bike now :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How is the fitment issue? I'll be looking for a bigger tank too.
WOW, just figured the capacity. 3+ gallons!! I like!!! lol
http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/8930-xt350-tank-install-completed.html shows how I did mine. I did the mount a bit differently to fit the XT mount plates and bushings, but is not necessary.

The capacity is 3.2 gal as Mattmus4357 said, but keep in mind due to the angle that the tank mounts and the petcock location not all of the fuel in the tank is available to the petcock pickup on reserve. After installation I had to add over 1/2 gallon before any fuel reached the pickup. I figure about 2.5 - 2.75 gallons of usable fuel is in the tank. Next year I'll get a better idea of it's range and usable capacity.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Happy Hiker, Your calculations are pretty close. I've found the main on the metal xt350 tank to get about 185 miles (two distinct trials, both a mix of dirt and FT paved miles with head winds). I've always assumed there was some dead space so reserve was limited. I've never run it dry on reserve, but lets guess an easy 200 to 220 miles using what is available in reserve. Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts