TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the help and guidance of prior posts ( Thanks Peruano, MrGizmo and more ) about using a XT350 tank I successfully installed a new used XT350 tank on my 1996 TW200.

Got a piece of 1x1x0.125 aluminum to make the bracket from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. I have bought various material many times from them in the past for an aircraft project.

Price was fine $3 something a foot but shipping hurt the deal. I will be posting in the classifieds but I have enough left over for 2 or 3 brackets if anyone is interested in this material. Aluminum "U" Channel --- SOLD OUT ---

Hacked away at the plastic ribs of the seat pan and as you can see it has a good bend in it. Still will not bend enough for the seat to slip into the notch but I plan to ride it as is for awhile and maybe with weight on it the bend will increase to where it will fit better.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
With the help and guidance of prior posts ( Thanks Peruano, MrGizmo and more ) about using a XT350 tank I successfully installed a new used XT350 tank on my 1996 TW200.

Got a piece of 1x1x0.125 aluminum to make the bracket from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. I have bought various material many times from them in the past for an aircraft project.

Price was fine $3 something a foot but shipping hurt the deal. I will be posting in the classifieds but I have enough left over for 2 or 3 brackets if anyone is interested in this material.

Hacked away at the plastic ribs of the seat pan and as you can see it has a good bend in it. Still will not bend enough for the seat to slip into the notch but I plan to ride it as is for awhile and maybe with weight on it the bend will increase to where it will fit better.

looks good! did you cut off the original mounting "post" or just slip the new bracket over it, where that front hole is? i'd like a cut of your left over stock. can you cut it for a price?

thanks,

joe

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks good! did you cut off the original mounting "post" or just slip the new bracket over it, where that front hole is? i'd like a cut of your left over stock. can you cut it for a price?

thanks,

joe

I did cut the mounting post off flush with the new bracket. I'll send you a piece of the "U" channel but I would rather let you cut it to fit. It cuts easy. Just hacksaw the front part and drill 2 holes. Let me know via PM if you want a piece of the channel.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
On the adapter piece you cut out, is the height on the back part 1" tall? Does it lean forward?

Did you place the tank full forward on the front rubber mounts or did you pull it back a little bit?

How much clearance is there between the petcock and the head on the other side?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
On the adapter piece you cut out, is the height on the back part 1" tall? Does it lean forward?

Did you place the tank full forward on the front rubber mounts or did you pull it back a little bit?

How much clearance is there between the petcock and the head on the other side?

Due to minor bike-to-bike and tank-to-tank differences these installations have all been slightly different.

Almost all TW's steer further in one direction than the other (usually to the left), so keep that in mind when working out any setback or it can ding your tank and make using the steering lock a hassle. Keeping the rear of the tank as low as possible gives you more fuel and makes the "bendy-seat" thing easier to deal with in terms of removing/installing the seat and it increases tank-to-fork clearance. You'll need all you can get if you want to keep it fully forward.

Mine is fully forward on the donuts, but it lightly kisses the tank when turned left with the steering locked. No clearance issues with the Yamaha petcock.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I pushed my first xt350 tank back a bit, but eventually decided it was not necessary. The second install (recent one) I did not (was able to use same bracket) and I may just have a contact on one side when bars turned full circle, but it has not scarred, marred, or bothered tank. Tom

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I made a mount for the back of the XT tank -- the original TW mount had been cut off -- I welded the mount to the frame and the rear of the XT tank is 1" above the frame.

With the tank all the way forward the handle bars hit the tank and it has not hit the stops on the lower triple tree thing. I think if I raise the handle bars there will be enough clearance but then the upper triple tree might be a problem. If the triple tree does hit then maybe a light tap with a ball peen hammer is in order, providing the fork wont hit.

If the fork looks like they will hit I will try sliding the tank back slightly.

The petcock is about 1/4" from the head. Maybe Yamaha makes a different petcock that will solve that problem and I can lower the back of the tank some more.

The tank swap isn't a bolt on and compromises have to be made. However I would still consider it easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts