TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We seem to have threads here about looting XT350 tanks to put on our TWs, but anyone have experience with the actual XT350? Nice 2000 one locally for $1,800 and I am curious if it would make a worthwhile stablemate.
.2000 Yamaha XT 350 Dualsport

00z0z_cETvDIA0BVg_300x300.jpg

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was reading the 2000s, at least in the UK, were de-tuned to 18 hp. 6 speeds and 90 mph but geared too tall with too weak suspension for serious trail work...difficult kick-start only. hmmm, some advice is to get a DR instead.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Cool bike but the seat height is to high for me.

General information
Model: Yamaha XT 350
Year: 2000
Category: Enduro / offroad
Rating: 65 out of 100. Show full rating and compare with other bikes
Engine and transmission
Displacement: 346.00 ccm (21.11 cubic inches)
Engine type: Single cylinder, four-stroke
Power: 27.00 HP (19.7 kW)) @ 8000 RPM
Max RPM: 8500
Compression: 9.0:1
Bore x stroke: 86.0 x 59.6 mm (3.4 x 2.3 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel system: Carburettor. Teikei Y24PV
Fuel control: Double Overhead Cams/Twin Cam (DOHC)
Ignition: C.D.I Magneto
Lubrication system: Wet Sump
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 6-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Chain
Clutch: Wet, mulyiple disks
Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Frame type: Diamond
Front suspension: coil spring / oil damper
Front wheel travel: 255 mm (10.0 inches)
Rear suspension: coil spring / gas-oil damper
Rear wheel travel: 73 mm (2.9 inches)
Front tyre: 3.00-21
Rear tyre: 110/80-58P
Front brakes: Single disc
Front brakes diameter: 245 mm (9.6 inches)
Rear brakes: Expanding brake (drum brake)
Rear brakes diameter: 130 mm (5.1 inches)
Physical measures and capacities
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 130.0 kg (286.6 pounds)
Seat height: 855 mm (33.7 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Overall height: 1,210 mm (47.6 inches)
Overall length: 2,240 mm (88.2 inches)
Overall width: 865 mm (34.1 inches)
Ground clearance: 275 mm (10.8 inches)
Wheelbase: 1,420 mm (55.9 inches)
Fuel capacity: 12.00 litres (3.17 gallons)
Reserve fuel capacity:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I owned a 97.
Heavy on the trails, I geared it down fo trail riding and changed the front sprocket for when doing more road riding.
Ok fire road, FSR bike.
Lots of vibration on the road. Coming down the Hope Slide Hwy 3 Do 70 mph The front fender caught a wind gust and I was starting to Wheelie ( almost a diaper moment)
I stuffed the piston on SFU hill and need to have it rebored and over size piston and rings. ( I was young and rode my bikes hard)
Overal good Yamaha quality bike. A WR250r is a way more versatile bike.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Fred it was easy to Start, A XR 400 is a pain too start.

I also bent the front forks hitting a boulder at 40 mph. Bike faired better than I did.

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Eckhart.
Was sort of hoping to find the excitement of an KTM EXC with the reliability of a low stressed thumper, something like a DRZ.
Indeed once I helped ride a stranger's XR400 out of a difficult trail that had the elderly gentleman owner too intimidated to continue. The XR seemed hard to start on a sidehill and geared too high for the technical nature of that cliff lined trail.It was a handful. After I hiked back up to retrieve my bike the TW seemed calm and comfortable by comparison.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Normally I'd say that was a good bike and I would ride one happily, but this one? Hmmmm Look at the scraped up side cover and the pool of something under the bike. The scratches on the bike makes it look like it slid down a hill without its rider. I bet there is more work needed on this one than you know to make it a good dependable bike. I'm pretty fussy about my "keepers", I would have walked right away from this one. I think "if" you are wanting one of these bikes, I'd look for another one.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My XT350 was reliable, fun to ride and cheap. Suspension was weak, swingarm limited tire size and it was not light. Started super easy, every time. Mine was the YDIS twin carb model. It made a little more top and bottom end with the progressive throttle linkage and smaller throtle bodies. I would have another for a trail cruiser if the right one came along. Watch for base gaskets and carb boots.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
We seem to have threads here about looting XT350 tanks to put on our TWs, but anyone have experience with the actual XT350? Nice 2000 one locally for $1,800 and I am curious if it would make a worthwhile stablemate.
.2000 Yamaha XT 350 Dualsport

View attachment 29609
They are tempting aren't they? A few have mentioned a lot about the XT I would now not consider it, that and no magic E button is a no go nowdays.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Downtown San Diego, uh huh... Used to be quite the place way back then... ha ha

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Well, LT, physical "trauma" can be an indicator of condition, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. I beat the hell out of my bikes and they often look like crap, and yet I also maintain them extremely well.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Fred, in my mind, there is no doubt that the DR350 is a better bike (except for the occasional grenading motors of the 94[?]-99 models...). That being said, the XT's are usually a much better deal. An early 90's DR350 goes for like $2,000, whereas an early 90's XT350, in similar condition, can be had for half that. The motors are supposed to be pretty reliable. Sure the suspension isn't brilliant and it's under powered, but the XT350 should have just enough to get up most hill climbs, and it's got a pretty nice transmission for highway use (even when geared down quite a lot). For that kind of money, I think you really can't go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Well, LT, physical "trauma" can be an indicator of condition, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. I beat the hell out of my bikes and they often look like crap, and yet I also maintain them extremely well.
O and I'm sure you do too bro. I'm just fussy and don't want to work on anything anymore. I'm having to use a walker right now, just from trying to oil the chains on the bikes a couple-three weeks ago. Blew my knee out getting up (happened at least 10 times with both knees over the years) Then a few days later, with a totally totally unstable knee, it decided to hyper extend itself backwards under my full weight. Then it really hurt!!! I just can't do it anymore bro, and I don't like it one bit.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I keep reading the insanity of larger bikes that are heavier, more unwieldy on the trails, when the TW can do anything they can but go faster. I guess I am missing something as the TW to me is still the most fun a person can have on two wheels. It gets me to the trails and then takes me where I point it, done deal.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Seat height was the killer for Mr. Hide. His was a beat-to-death 93. I took it out a few times for giggles. Verdict: was way too heavy for trails, lousy suspension and too tall. I have a 34" inseam and could not get both feet flat on the ground. I don't mind the kick-only bit, but it can be an annoyance. Very buzzy on the highway, but decent top end for an ancient single.

Oh, and the seat stinks too. Might as well be riding right on the backbone.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
For those of you who have commented on the weak or unsatisfactory suspension on the XT350, how does it compare to the TW's suspension?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Weak and unsatisfactory. ha ha :p

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
394 Posts
For those of you who have commented on the weak or unsatisfactory suspension on the XT350, how does it compare to the TW's suspension?
On Mr. Hide's example the rear is about the same stiffness as a stock shock on the TW. The front had considerable dive under any kind of braking, rebound was slow and mushy. Granted that I scale in at ~180# which is likely more than your average dirt jockey. He runs about 150# and didn't have quite as bad a time with it but was still not impressed by the overall softness.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Weak and unsatisfactory. ha ha :p

What,:icon_rendeer:

No, really I wanted to know as I've seen some XT's on the local C-List. Of course a huge hindrance is my hip and a kickstarter only thing-a-ma-bob!

Thanks Hidebound. Pretty sure I'm always gonna push the suspension limits anyway with my "Girthy Figure" which is about the same as you two put together. For me it sounds like the XT's suspension is more like the TW than a WRR, but I'm no racer and can mostly live with what the machine has and don't seek the latest greatest stuff that costs money. Now I'm ok with the free or lost cost mods I did with the TW's suspension.

Reactions: littletommy
1 - 20 of 33 Posts