TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
xt350 $500

too bad more isn't readily swappable, but $500 for a running bike is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Quick question - anybody know if the speedometer and pilot box assembly are interchangeable from the xt350 to the TW?

·
Registered
487 Posts
These Xt 350 s have been popping up by me for pretty cheap , lately . I bought 2 over the winter. ( $100 each and neither reported stolen, nor have papers ) Took off the tank, seat pan, speedometer, rear brake rod and arm, and a set of high handlebars for my TW, then started to part out the rest of that one. A friend pestered me for us to get one complete bike together, and Friday we did. We got both engines running. ( although missing a few common bolts and I have only one carb between them ) I found another (88) with a blow motor, ( but in decent shape, with papers for $300. It is an hour drive for my friend and will probably buy that one tomorrow. It looks like it may work out well for us, this time. I'm starting to think this could be repeatable?

My friend rides a wr 250 f, and we used to ride together with me on a DRZ 400 e that I have since sold. I get the impression that he does not think I can keep up the pace if I use my TW. I told him not to give it another thought, and that the TW can get me places my DRZ never could. (might take me a bit longer, though) I'll have to give the Xt a go, though I know that my Tdub won't be idle for long. Rubber side down, Dave

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks Bucknutz! I just missed one with a Clarke XT tank this weekend. Was asking $700, probably could have got it cheaper but he sold it before I could get to it. I wanted the tank and seat pan and speedo for my TW. :( How much are you getting for the parts when you part out an XT350 assuming the engine runs and everything is not trash?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thanks Bucknutz! I just missed one with a Clarke XT tank this weekend. Was asking $700, probably could have got it cheaper but he sold it before I could get to it. I wanted the tank and seat pan and speedo for my TW. :( How much are you getting for the parts when you part out an XT350 assuming the engine runs and everything is not trash?

One of them was pretty much trashed, but running, no signals, and stuck in first gear. Supposedly, from a kicker gear installl gone bad? ( not too sure , but someone had a bit of trouble, I'd guess ) The second one was missing engine bolts and leaking oil, but in much better physical shape than the 1 st. Initially, I really only wanted some prime tw conversion parts, for $200 for two bikes, how can you go wrong? The XT is a lot like a TW in that it is old school, and easy to work on, dead reliable, and a fairly decent woods bike for a beginner. I really don't know how much can be realized from a complete part as I out only sold two parts off it before my friend and I started to combine them. Since I have them, I should keep a set of wheels and ice tires set up for some winter fun. I probably will have a leftover seat pan available, for shipping and a suggested small donation ( not mandatory ) to the Russ NE ride fund. ( 100% to Purple ) Rubber side down, Dave

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Russ published a list of stuff from the xt350 that he felt was interchangeable, or useful on a tw200. Do search for it to justify your purchases. Tom

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the xt350 seat swappable to the TW?
pretty sure it does not fit directly, the tdub is a one off on many things including how the seat attaches.

russ among others made a tdub-xt hybrid seat, attaching the front of the xt350 to the rear pan of the tdub.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
For what its worth, the TT550 seat has the same upturned snout that the xt350 (and probably xt550) seat, but it a totally distinct mode of attachment to the rear.
I know because I bought a tt550 seat thinking I might hybridize it to my TW but decided I didn't want to go that way. . . so be for warned about differences between the dual sports and the off road rigs. Also for anyone envisioning a hybrid seat the tt series probably could be grafted onto a TW200 pan to accomodate the steeper nose requirements of an xt350 tank. I've got such a seat taking up room (read cheap). Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts