TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has their own opinion regarding the various "alternative energy" vehicles being foisted upon us before their time, but someone has to capitalize on all those leftover Gummint-imposed '80's Chevy Volt charging stations, no? 44k miles is nothing to sneeze at.

I had hoped to intercept this guy when he blew through the area to question him about that fairing.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/articles/victorville-42122-breather-electric.html

·
Registered
141 Posts
Love the idea and when companies finally get serious about electric vehicles (i.e. the Leaf is a good example) than I will happily jump on an electric motorcycle. I saw one at the Montreal car show two years ago, really sharp looking and an overall nice set up for long distance riding (200miles I think) but the price tag was just insane: $50, 000!!! Anyways, love the link, thanks for sharing.... the T-Dub would make an interesting donor for an electric engine! :)

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I was at the Zero Motorcycle factory just yesterday (9-4-13). It says Santa Cruz but I swear I was in Scotts Valley. I went inside the "show room" and got a quicky sales pitch and then shown the door. The only picture I got was of the front door and you can just make out my TW reflection in the left door, lower pane.

Interesting idea but they are expensive and have a limited range. For $14K you can get a brand new TW and have $9K plus left over for fuel. And the idea that you aren't burning any fossil fuels falls apart when 40% of the country get its electricity from coal, and probably another 40% from oil or natural gas. Solar panels and wind mills have yet to make a real dent in our electricity production. I see solar panels going up everywhere but without government kick backs I doubt they would be there and probably not worth while.

Had I ridden a Zero from SJ to the factory I would have had trouble making it back home. I mentioned this to the sales person and he said "Well maybe an electric motorcycle isn't for you." and then went on to compare it to a cell phone that you leave on a charger when not in use even if it doesn't need charging. I didn't see any charging stations by the front door.

Zero Motorcycles had just moved to a new, bigger location and it looked like they had many employees so someone must be buying them. I wonder what incentive Uncle Obama, errr, I mean Uncle Sam gives to buy an electric motorcycle?

I have seen many Teslas but zero Zeros . Maybe that will change now that I have made that statement.

ZERO MOTORCYCLES ? The Electric Motorcycle Company - Official Site

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I have to add that I was told if I phone ahead they will arrange a test ride. I hate to do it when I have no intention of buying one but you never know, I just might do it.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'd have no guilt about satisfying my curiosity. 75% of their budget comes from public funds on the promise of creating 12 jobs? Hey, it's Santa Cruz....

Appointment? I'd just tell them "I'm a taxpayer. I don' need no steenking appointment."

I wish them well and hope some useful advancements spit out the other end.

I'm always interested in such things but mostly I was interested in hearing about riding behind that fairing. The 60 year old conventional wisdom has declared dustbin fairings to be deathtraps. The problem is that none of the folks spewing the conventional wisdom has ever ridden one mile behind one, so I figgered I'd prefer get my conventional wisdom from someone who's done 44k behind one. And since he filled up on my dime.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm more a fan of the Empulse.

Empulse RR Electric Motorcycle Racing

Honestly I think race bikes are perfect for electric, you don't run them hundreds of miles at a time or every day to work and back, and if you have a track then you can't really get too far from the the charging station. :)

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I imagine batteries will get better and cheaper and charging times will decrease and when the market rather than the Government demands electric motorcycles and electric cars the technology will explode but as long as the Government keeps dumping money think Fisker, First Battery, and Solyndra to name three.

Interesting road test.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
tony,
i remember you checking on a tree on the sheet iron II, were you riding an electric bike too?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, there ya have it. Proof positive that riding abysmally overpriced and underperforming junk employing infant technology results in the watering of more trees.

Can't get greener than that. Sign me up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
And scooters win.

I have to say I believe I do get better fuel efficiency on my 28 year old elite then my TW. But regardless the TW is much more fun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
240 Posts
Anybody notice when you could hear over the lame music that the thing sounded like a "Jetson's" car? Zero? Sorry, no thanks. Now, if someone came up with a hybrid bike that had their 9kW battery and a small diesel turbine of roughly 30hp to keep it charged it'd get probably in the neighborhood of 150-175 mpg. Throw in the ability to use the motor to create regenerative braking and feel like typical engine breaking and they might have something. The cost would probably be in the 40k neighborhood after that though.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Anybody notice when you could hear over the lame music that the thing sounded like a "Jetson's" car? Zero? Sorry, no thanks. Now, if someone came up with a hybrid bike that had their 9kW battery and a small diesel turbine of roughly 30hp to keep it charged it'd get probably in the neighborhood of 150-175 mpg. Throw in the ability to use the motor to create regenerative braking and feel like typical engine breaking and they might have something. The cost would probably be in the 40k neighborhood after that though.
They will, once we stop putting handout munny into the wrong hands. As was stated earlier, as far as pure electric goes the stumbling block is battery technology. While we do invest in that as well, until that problem is solved electric-only will remain a novelty of limited utility.

I really appreciate Mercedes' latest commercials. The ones that just come out and say that their new electric Smart Car has its place, and that place was never intended to be beyond the city limit sign. At this point in time the same same applies to this bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts