TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what you do in those tight areas...you sit or stand...I have said it before and i will say it again, the TW is not a trials bike BUT...it is related to one....I guess what I am trying to say is I have a good deal of confidence in my abilities while standing on the pegs, somebody added little plastic pad to the sides of the tank...works extremely well for gripping the tank with your legs. I can do some seriously slow stuff on this thing I love it....makes me really want a trials bike!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I usually sit when I can, as I love the TW for the slow and steady approach. I do stand when needed. There are definitely times and places where you gain significant advantages by standing. I just don't want to stand all day like on the taller, noisier, faster, skinny tired bikes. The TW style fits me better. :D

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The fat soft tires sure help a lot for us old geezers that don't have strong knees any more. Slow down, sit, bump through, waddle if you have to.
The low saddle height makes this possible.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I stand pretty much all the time off road, the weight on the pegs makes the center of mass lower and offers more control of the bike with body weight.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Still got the oem bars on mine. Not really indicative to standing. Wee bit short. May put some risers on for next year.

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
Since getting the SeatConcepts I can now sit longer in the bouncy terrain.:rolleyes:
Probably 75% of the time off-road I sit, then stand for moderately rough stuff requiring body english and fast responses, then sit again for when I get truly intimidated. What is beneficial in challenging terrain is keeping my toes in,knees hugging tank in somewhat of an attack posture; anything but toes and knees splayed outwards in a lazy snag-a-rock posture.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
This is a good question... The vast majority of the time it's pure instinct for me. Although on the deeper mud puddles I tend to rise up off the seat just a little... :D m.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I used to ride trials bikes back in the '70's...when they still had seats. Most of the time now I sit since I'm an old fart. :booty: BUT, I can still get up on the pegs in a hurry if I see a bad pothole too late! The only other time I'm up on the pegs is on a steep hill, or on a water crossing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I stand a lot off pavement. I don't have a good reason why usually, it just feels safer in the hairy looking blind corners with steep drop offs and rough patches. (Better riders would probably experience these as fine wide corners with a margin of safety a mile wide, but they get my full attention.)

I definitely must stand to cross a certain creek as its usually a bouncy ride and occasionally a wild rodeo of a white knuckled couple of moments.

I've been nearly pitched off the bike a couple of times getting out of ditches and such where I never intended to go but somehow did anyway.

So I stand, it just seems to make things go better and it gives me a chance to practice moving my weight around.

I've always had to sit briefly to shift, but I managed to up-shift while standing just the other day.
Wasn't pretty. Don't know if that is a difficult skill for others or not, but I find it discombobulating.

Discombobulated Weebles+Motorcycle Riding=Baadd Ju-Ju

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
821 Posts
I too use appropriate body position, almost self explanatory. In my past forties though
My knees prefer to sit most of the time. It does seem to be a trend (fashion?) to stand
a lot these days, like you see in the commercials. Just before I was forced to stop riding
I was passed on the trail by some big daddy BMWs all standing on straight away.? Caught up to them later
as they were try to climb an easy hill, not standing! They advised me that the hill was "hard to climb", technical and required a
deadicated dirt bike". I didn't say any thing but went up the hill and came back down TW style. Telling them
"it's not the bike but the rider" and " I have one of those, don't really consider it suitable for off road" much too heavy.
For real crawling adventure on a TW, add a few teeth to rear sprocket.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If the terrain is rough and / or steep with no deep ruts I stand. I also rode late 70s trials bikes for years.
If the terrain is rutted from other bikes I sit and have my feet in the air above the ruts.
Not a pretty sight, but due to the lack of ground clearance it is a technique I have found that works.
Also a technique I use for those deep, but not too deep water crossings.
On the WR I stand when the going gets tough or rough or my rear end hurts.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I no longer have the flexibility or strength in my left leg to feasibly ride any real length of time standing (injury result). This is a big reason I opted for a TW over one of the other small duel sports. It to me looked like a good slow speed bike that I could just sit and ride or waddle through what ever.
And so far i have been nothing but highly impressed with the little bike off the beaten path despite my lack of ability.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Both sitting and standing. 3 hours ride behind a xt250 and crf250x yesterday so yeah sore thighs. Most of the time I could keep up but it was a workout. When riding slow and unstable I sometimes tripod it (legs out) but otherwise I stand and absorb obstacles. Much smoother ride. I hit a foot high nearly square rock going about 40mph and absorbed it standing up. No forks bottoming out or anything but it was still scary at that speed. Got a little air and then smoothly touched down. Live to ride another day....Gotta stop trying to keep up with the speed freaks.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
For sure I've come to the realization I'm not as young as I was. I have to admit, during the night or early morning when I wake up all groggy as such I sit. During the day (usually morning only) when I feel all full of energy I stand.

Hummm....after reading a bit more of these responses I may be off the mark just a tad with mine, sooooo.......yeah, so never mind what I just said, I do what you all do.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Funny, I was watching videos of a group of riders heading to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay. Miles and miles of relatively flat fairly wide well groomed dirt road.......................ALL STANDING pretty much all the time. My GF asked "why are they standing?" Exactly I said...........why? :)

My days of 40MPH single track are well past me. Thats where the extra control of standing is needed. In other areas not so technical, standing is to use your legs as shocks for your body instead of the bikes shocks taking all of it, the extra control provided is a bonus but not reallly needed. Now if you go slow enough NO standing required for suspension OR control so for me...............standing on the TW is rare :)

I think its an image thing, they do it to make them look more adventurous. Just like harley guy blip their throttles to fit the bad ass image. Neither is needed most of the times they are used and just makes me roll my eyes :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great responses guys...I live here in the Ozarks where the terrain is pretty rough, (large rocks....grapefruit sized rocks...small rocks...lol) so I spend alot of my time standing. I had the thing for weeks just puttin around, did just fine...got more used to it I guess...then started getting more aggressive...getting up off the seat....man is she nimble, I often ride through narrow gaps really slow...too much fun...LOVE the low gears....now if I could quit buyin guns and put some tires on it...then it will need a clutch....and chain...sigh

·
Registered
127 Posts
I find that most of my riding on the TW is exploring along dirt roads, jeep trails, seasonal roads, snowmobile trails, and things like that. I'm usually looking for new places to fish, so lots of my riding is in areas where there are lakes, ponds, streams or new ways to get into ones I already know about. As such, I tend to be riding with my head swiveling back and forth looking for things that I've found on Google Maps, or often just for those curiously open areas with no trees in the distance that might turn out to be a pond or something. Since the overwhelming majority of the time I spend out on non-paved roads is generally a sightseeing trip, I sit almost all the time. When I encounter steep grades, or very rocky terrain, or when going over tree trucks or limbs, I stand.....but mostly I sit.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ben there done that and I can tell you Twrog that on those long long stretches you have to do exactly that; get up and stretch. Or stop.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I prefer to stand, but the TW makes it difficult to do so. I've added 3" to the bar height and it's still not enough, and haven't had the money to get longer cables to add more yet. Part of it is that it's just more comfortable to stand. Your butt isn't being bounced around as the bike hits big bumps. Plus, being short (29" inseam) I was taught to stand when riding the rough stuff, since I can't cheat and paddle on taller bikes like my DR650. But yeah, the TW does make it easy to sit and paddle through it slowly. I just need to ride it more and get used to that approach.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts